Other games providing a similar experience?

#1Lord_Zath2Posted 1/22/2008 2:58:56 PM
Lots of talk about the PTO's.

How about Naval Ops Warship Gunner/Commander/Warship Gunner 2 (PS2)? More arcade style, but if you like ship creation, you will sink countless hours here. Released by Koei.

Great Naval Battles III - Fury in the Pacific (PC) - Really fun, but older graphics and abilities. Released by SSi.

Battlestations MIdway (PC) - same as above, but not as fun. Lots of problems w/patching, etc. Little support. Released by Eidos.

Pacific Storm (PC) - Buggy as heck, but merges PTOII with beautiful graphics and display. Plus you get to control aircraft and anti-aircraft guns. Many issues with the game caused me to stop playing. It took 6 months to come out with a patch to fix "basic" bugs. Copy protection killed the game. Released in US by CDV; created by Buka.

Pacific Storm Allies (PC) - Haven't played the full retail yet (not available in US) but try playing the demo. Absolutely STUNNING graphics and ship display. With Buka's track record on the original, I'll likely be waiting a full year before buying the game. Released in US by CDV; created by Buka.

Anyone played anything else?
#2AdmTomPosted 1/22/2008 9:53:25 PM
As far as I'm concerned, PTO and PTO 2 are the golden standard for this genre. PTO 4 was good in some ways, but did't really capture the sense of control you had in the first two versions.

A lot of the newer simulations have amazing graphics, but like you said, they're buggier than a swamp.

After all.... it's been 12-14 years now, and we're still playing PTO 1 and 2.
#3kawaiifanPosted 2/8/2008 3:41:20 AM
Hi Lord_Zath2 and AdmTom, and thank you ^.^/

I've heard very good things about a game called Hearts of Iron 2, but my computer is too old to run it ;.;

---
kawaiifan, happy to be back on her old account ^.^
#4BigTexan80Posted 2/8/2008 1:33:17 PM
Did you ever try to play carrier aces for the SNES? It was kind of the arcade version of PTO2.
Actually I haven't thought of it for years but I would play PTO2 and then Carrier Aces.
#5Lord_Zath2(Topic Creator)Posted 2/8/2008 4:10:15 PM
Yeah, Carrier Aces was a fun game. The control wasn't great, though. It was a decently fun game.

How bout Heroes of the Pacific? for PS2?
#6kawaiifanPosted 2/21/2008 4:11:04 AM
Hi BigTexan80 and Lord_Zath2, and thank you ^.^/

---
#7BigTexan80Posted 2/27/2008 3:40:09 PM
Has anyone tried Battle Stations Midway? I saw that game yesterday and I was wondering what it was. I didn't have time to stop and take a look, but it looked like a shooter game of some kind. I am curious if it is a shooter or some kind of strategy game?
#8kawaiifanPosted 3/14/2008 3:26:20 AM
I haven't seen it, sorry ;.;

Here's another topic about related games ^.^;

- - - - - - - - - - - -

Yet another petition for PTO V....

as long as it's more like PTO II, that is. Feel free to sign.

- - - - - - - - - - - -

Count me in. Take what people liked with PTO's 1, 2, and 4 and combine them. Cut out the crap (PTO 4's linear feel, mainly). I'd gladly pay $60-70 for a top-notch WWII naval SIM. (Note I put SIM in bold.... I want it to be a real simulation, not just a game.)

- - - - - - - - - - - -

*signs* ^.^

---

- - - - - - - - - - - -

I remember e-mailing a V.P. of Koei waay back when after PTO II and asking if they'll ever make a new one. He basically told me no. Though perhaps my e-mail wasn't the only one. PTO IV came out a year later. I remember buying it ON THE SPOT on release day and playing it for hours on end.

Count me in.

BTW, a great series to check out if you like naval warfare is Warship Gunner/Warship Commander/Warship Gunner2. More arcadey, but fun!

- - - - - - - - - - - -

Welcome Lord_Zath2 *waves hello* ^.^/
and thank you ^.^

---

- - - - - - - - - - - -

we will sadly never see a pto 5 from koei. i'm an optimistic person, but truth is koei is never going to invest into another version of this game, at least not like pto 2.

on the other hand, there is a very good chance that the open source community would make a free pto 2 version, like they've done already with several good games. best bet to get a new, improved, 21st century pto 2, is to get enough open source geeks hooked to pto

- - - - - - - - - - - -
(end of copied-and-pasted topic)

---
#9Lord_Zath2(Topic Creator)Posted 3/16/2008 7:17:03 PM
I own Battlestations Midway. It's almost the opposite to PTOII in that it is indeed an action/shooter style game. There's a lot of multitasking required, as real-time fleet command can be a bit tricky. Singleplayer is tremendously weak, with linear missions ONLY. Also, ship selection is rather limited. Multiplayer is prettymuch nonexistant.

Though it is sometimes fun to take out the BB Fuso and whack some American DD's. Hope that helps.
#10kawaiifanPosted 3/30/2008 2:44:35 AM
Hi Lord_Zath2, and thank you *waves hello* ^.^/
I've never seen it, sorry.

---