What are the percentages of a Griffin Claw dropping the Griffin Helm?

#1The_Mark_XXVIPosted 3/16/2009 8:18:58 PM
I've spent forever trying to kill this guy, but he's still not dropping me even one Griffin Helm. Does anyone know the percentage of him dropping the Griffin Helm or how long on average it takes to acquire one?
---
"I am Chobin Hood! I steal from the poor and give to the rich, haha!" ~ Secret of Mana Theatre
#2OtaboPosted 3/16/2009 9:59:38 PM
It's a rare drop and it's random. You just have to get lucky.

I remember one playthrough, I've spent almost two hours trying to get one. Then I gave up and turned it off. Came back to it a few days later, and one dropped within ten minutes.

---
My Channel: http://www.youtube.com/Beastly242
#3theonyxphoenixPosted 3/17/2009 4:10:05 AM
Info given by celesdestiny regarding drops which seemed to work for me:

- There is always a common and a rare treasure, consisting of two of the following: Item, GP, equipment, weapon orb (the orb becomes a candy if no more orbs of that type can be obtained)

- There are 0-3 traps within the table, notice that mimic box and shadow zero are considered as traps

If a treasure is on screen:

1. Checks if the enemy has a trap within its loot table, otherwise proceed to 4.
2. Checks for the Lv of the char who opens it. If it is at least 3 levels higher than the enemy's, no treasure will appear - the higher your Lv, the less it will be a trap
3. If there are different traps on the table, one is chosen randomly
4. If there are no traps or you are lucky enough, the item is rolled (probabilities always: common 88%, rare 12%)

Now how I found the Griffin Helm is that I kept the boy dead throughout most of the game...he was level 17 when I got to the Pure Land. After finding a chest drop from the enemy I would scan to remove the odds of it being a trap, then would save state and revive the boy to have him open the chest.

This process still took me many tries to get the helm. My advice would be that if you are not too high of a level, to just keep trying and don't level too much or you will lose your chance.
#4The_Mark_XXVI(Topic Creator)Posted 3/17/2009 9:34:56 AM
Thanks, I still haven't gotten even one Griffin Helm though. I'll try again later.

---
"I am Chobin Hood! I steal from the poor and give to the rich, haha!" ~ Secret of Mana Theatre
#5silktailPosted 3/17/2009 4:37:43 PM
After finding a chest drop from the enemy I would scan to remove the odds of it being a trap, then would save state and revive the boy to have him open the chest.

I don't think I have ever had an empty chest after scanning it. (Maybe it fixes that too?)
But then I didn't know treasures were based on levels back then, so I might have always been low leveled and not noticed.

Note: I got most of the meaningful rare drops in that playthrough, so I would be surprised if I had been low leveled.
---
#6jakethenoobPosted 3/19/2009 5:01:25 PM
I got it from the second one I ever killed.
---
GT:Jake Teh Nub
#7WhPlaguePosted 3/19/2009 6:13:51 PM
At what level do you lose all your chances of getting a griffin helm?
---
RPGs beaten: FF123456789XX2,FFT,CT,CC,XG,KH,Betrayal at Krondor, MM6&7,
UltimaUnderw.1&2,SeikenDensetsu2&3, Baldur1,SuperMarioRPG
#8silktailPosted 3/20/2009 6:37:31 PM
At what level do you lose all your chances of getting a griffin helm?

A Griffin Hand is a level 60 enemy.
But I don't know when (or even if) it stops dropping Griffin Helms.
---
#9jakethenoobPosted 3/21/2009 8:35:36 AM
It doesn't. But if you finish everything at the Mana Forest, you can't go back and kill any.
---
GT:Jake Teh Nub