I just want to play the game

#1VeryFunTimesPosted 9/23/2012 11:19:51 AM
Will I ruin my party if I make less-than-optimal decisions?
---
AIM: lostelixer
#2shadow_master01Posted 9/23/2012 11:36:14 AM
Nah, every party and class combination can beat the game. Some are significantly easier than others but none are impossible.

For a first playthrough I would take Carlie, though. Having a dedicated healer for virtualy the entire game realy helps when you don't know exactly what you're doing. She doesn't need to be the primary character but having her around is deffinitly nice.
---
Each of us must play the cards fate deals us, and if you've been stuck with the joker, you'll just have to learn to cope with it ~For Love of Mother-Not
#3SmalvehPosted 9/23/2012 1:08:38 PM
^ what he said, or you can just buy a lot of poto oils (all heal item) from the black market. That's how I did it my first time.
#4PulitsPosted 9/23/2012 2:42:31 PM
Not really. People put too much effort trying to determine an optimal party combination, when in reality, you use your second class change just in the last dungeon of the game. In most playthroughts, I end up learning some spells just before the final boss.

And like other guys stated, as a first playthrough having a healer is really handy, Carlie being the first option. Light Kevin and Duran also work as healers. But it's not necessary either, just enjoy the game. :)
#5VeryFunTimes(Topic Creator)Posted 9/23/2012 6:39:58 PM
Thanks, everyone. I'm enjoying it.

A few questions.

What are the colored bars on the sides of the character icons?

When you level up and choose what attribute to increase, that's not the only stat that increase (besides HP), is it?

Are there stat increases that are a complete waste?
---
#6KinethPosted 9/23/2012 7:18:31 PM
What are the colored bars on the sides of the character icons?

That's the bar for your techs. (B button moves) In the first class, you can only fill it up to the first level in 4 hits to do the basic tech. The level 2 one becomes available when you change classes and will usually pause the game to cast and it takes 7 total attacks to become available. The level 3 tech takes 9 total attacks to become available and is available upon the final class change.

When you level up and choose what attribute to increase, that's not the only stat that increase (besides HP), is it?

Other than your mana and any indirect stats that are affected by the stat you increase, yes it is.

Are there stat increases that are a complete waste?

Sorta. Agility is generally useless to increase unless you're Ninja Hawk who needs agility to unlock spells of his. Agility and dodging are broken though so it's a waste. It does however increase the damage of throwing items and slows the wheel for trapped chests. Luck is generally useful for the character you want to open chests, but that's about it.
---
http://i53.tinypic.com/2mfdvsg.gif
www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwkKqkwd0n0 www.youtube.com/watch?v=OzJacqsFNfo www.youtube.com/watch?v=GnHLgxKUsEA
#7Shoenin_KakashiPosted 9/23/2012 9:53:49 PM
Will I ruin my party if I make less-than-optimal decisions?

Not particularly. 2nd Class is the one you'll mostly be playing anyways.

Truthfully, if you go Lise or Dark Hawk, or just Kevin in General, they more or less undermine the need for a healer. hoarding Healing items is more than enough to get by (Don't mean Poto Oil's either).
---
Oh SuperNiceDog's doing it again dude.
SuperNiceDog, you ain't no pimp dude
#8HegemonKhanPosted 9/23/2012 10:51:24 PM(edited)
If this is your very first time playing, the most important thing is to just learn the game, to get familiar with it and to learn the basics. In your 2nd playthrough, you will now have some knowledge of the game, and can pick a better team.

Having a more newbie-friendly team will make the game easier, but it's certainly not neccessary, as you can always (over) level up, if you need to do so, to get past parts of the game that you are having trouble with.

----------

If you are concerned, we can easily give you some good teams to use, and everything else too, as well, lol.

For example, here's some good newbie teams:

Duran: Fighter (N) -> Gladiator (D) -> Duelist (DD) or Sword Master (DL)
Lise: Amazon (N) -> Valkyrie (L) -> Star Lancer (LD) or Vanadies (LL)
Hawk: Thief (N) -> Ninja (D) -> Night Blade (DD) or Ninja Master (DL)

Angela: Magican (N) -> [Sorceress (L)] or [Delvar (D)] -> [Grand Divina (LL) or Arch Mage (LD)] or [Rune Master (DL) or Magus (DD)]
Lise: Amazon (N) -> Valkyrie (L) -> Star Lancer (LD)
Hawk: Thief (N) -> Ninja (D) -> Ninja Master (DL) or Night Blade (DD)

Carlie: Cleric (N) -> Priestess (L) -> Sage (LD) or Bishop (LL)
Lise: Amazon (N) -> Valkyrie (L) -> Star Lancer (LD)
Hawk: Thief (N) -> Ninja (D) -> Ninja Master (DL) or Night Blade (DD)

Duran: Fighter (N) -> Gladiator (D) -> Duelist (DD)
Kevin: Grappler (N) -> Bashkar (D) -> Death Hand (DL)
Hawk: Thief (N) -> Ninja (D) -> Night Blade (DD)

Kevin: Grappler (N) -> Bashkar (D) -> Death Hand (DL)
Duran: Fighter (N) -> Gladiator (D) -> Duelist (DD)
Lise: Amazon (N) -> [Valkyrie (L)] or [Rune Maiden (D)] -> [Vanadies (LL) or Star Lancer (LD)] or [Fenrir Knight (DD) or Dragon Master (DL)]

and here's the stats placement:

Greater Priority > Lesser Priority

Physical Focus-Orientated Used Characters:

Kevin, Hawk, Duran, and Lise: STR > VIT > INT > SPI

Duran as Knight (L): +1 SPI Only > STR > VIT > INT > SPI
Hawk as Ninja (D): +5 AGI Only > STR > VIT > INT > SPI

Magical Focus-Oriented Used Characters:

Angela: INT > SPI > VIT > STR
Carlie: SPI > INT > VIT > STR
(Items Using) Lise: INT > SPI > VIT > STR
Light Hawk: AGI > INT > SPI > VIT
Dark Hawk: INT > SPI > VIT > STR

Hawk as Ninja (D): +5 AGI Only > INT > SPI > VIT > STR
#9VeryFunTimes(Topic Creator)Posted 10/12/2012 10:44:55 PM
I was playing about a 4 hour block each weekend, missed the last one. I hope to continue. This week I also started Kaeru no Tame ni Kane wa Naru, but it's easier to play in smaller spurts.
---
#10AnjeirzPosted 10/29/2012 8:34:31 AM
Hahaha the first time I ever played this game (in original Japanese, when I was like... eight years old), I used Hawkeye, Riese, and Angela (in other words, no healer)... and I did not understand how to change/equip any weapons or armor. Oh man. Fun times.

Anyway, the point is, you can go for whatever party, whatever classes you want. The game is really not that difficult, but it's fun regardless. I would recommend you have Carlie for first time around, solely for the early healing options. Have fun!