copy that works with FC Twin or C2 Console

#1loteknatePosted 1/24/2011 1:57:23 PM
My NES and SNES dies a long time ago. Over time I have gotten an FC Twin and a C2 Console. If I read correct a C2 Console is what the Retro Duo used to be called. I own a copy of Mario RPG I have had for years. But it refuses to work on either of the new consoles. I have read on several forums how there were some made with lockout chips. But other copies will run ok. Well mine seems to never come on. If anyone has a copy they know works on either of the consoles I own I would purchase it. Paypal. you can email me direct loteknate@cox.net
#2bowsersenemyPosted 1/24/2011 7:21:49 PM
i'm still not sure how these consoles are legal, but anyway, what does a lockout chip have to do with playing on one of these? i'm curious.

either way, the chips are likely in the older coppies of the game. see if you can find a copy that was produced closer to the original release date. they're less likely to have them. nintendo's not known for removing protection from games. heck, i don't know any company that is aside from EA with spore. any way, if you go on ebay, try asking the owner the manufacture date on the game if it can be found. maybe even ask if it will play in one of those consoles.

you might want to try finding a site that can help you tell a difference in the copies that carry the chip and ones that don't.

in any case, i wish you luck. oh, and word of warning. SNES games have been having thier batteries die for the past few years. since you're an SNES gamer, you may want to consider looking up how to change them, weather or not you get a different copy of SMRPG. your other games may soon need it.
---
know what i find interesting? pirates that download games like the Pheonix Wright series.
#3geno_16Posted 1/24/2011 11:34:34 PM
I have heard that Super Mario RPG and other games with the Nintendo SA-1 Chip will not work with the FC Twin.

I've never heard of the C2 Console so I don't know why the game won't work on it, but I'd guess it too cannot run games with the SA-1 Chip.
---
http://img714.imageshack.us/img714/1797/fella.jpg
#4bowsersenemyPosted 1/25/2011 4:32:57 AM
wait, the SA-1? isn't that the chip tengen got sued for copying? nintendo used that in SNES games as well, huh?

wait, i thought that the chip wasn't as much a lockout, as it was a requirement? in other words, if you DIDN'T have the chip, the game SHOULDN'T work. not the other way arround... or is the SA-1 not the chip i'm thinking of?
---
know what i find interesting? pirates that download games like the Pheonix Wright series.
#5geno_16Posted 1/25/2011 3:50:58 PM
Yeah, the game won't work without the SA-1 Chip as it contains the game's processor core and every cartridge has it.
---
http://img714.imageshack.us/img714/1797/fella.jpg
#6loteknate(Topic Creator)Posted 1/25/2011 4:43:38 PM
Well I read somewhere that some people got Mario RPG to work on the FC Twin . The thought was the original version of Mario RPG didnt have the chip. If you look o Youtube there are videos also of people showing Mario RPG cartridges they got to work on the FC twin. So I'd love to know why. Or how.......
#7loteknate(Topic Creator)Posted 1/25/2011 4:48:09 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sv1_euGe5YU

like this one.
#8bowsersenemyPosted 1/26/2011 7:20:06 AM
several answers to that.

1: pirated copy of the game.
2: modified copy of the game (good luck with that).
3: modified FC Twin (don't ask, 'cuz i dunno).
4: early copies of the game don't require the SA-1 chip.
5: they got lucky with it.
6: the whole "lockout chip" idea is a load of bull dust.
7: there's a different reason the game won't work with 3rd party consoles.

at best, i'd say either 1, 3 or 4. but considering pirated snes games in carts are uncommon, i'm less inclined to believe that one. you mostly hear about it with nintendo's handhelds, not thier console games.

and wait, are you sure about the SA-1 having the game's proccesor and everything? i can understand a game needing more memory, but it's own procesor? never heard of that one.
---
#9loteknate(Topic Creator)Posted 1/26/2011 9:25:09 AM
I personally have no idea what the chip does. but I know its a pain in my butt. :( My copy of Mario RPG says it was made in Japan. But I don't know how to tell if it was version 1.1 or whatever.....

If there are different versions. I don't know. I found this page http://nfggames.com/forum2/index.php?topic=1382.0 talking about how to mod the cartridge but I have never messed with that. I'd probably break the game.
#10bowsersenemyPosted 1/26/2011 4:04:45 PM
yeah, unless you follow the instructions perfectly, stuff like that's easy to mess up. once modified a controler to work on a different system. it worked, but it had flaws. i ended up throwing it away. i also once replaced a battery in the original copy of link's awakening. it'd keep a save file for a while, then loose it. so i would imagine that modding a chip out of a cartridge can't be even remotely easy. not sure how legal it is, but since it is an original physical copy... grey area?

oh, and here's an idea. look up a game genie or pro action replay, and see if there's a bypass code for using SMRPG on the console. worth a shot, and cheaper than buying a new copy.

if you want to just get another copy, your main concern is the game itself, so if you already have the box art, or just don't want it, you can get a copy without it, so it costs you less. look for one that says made in mexico, since they seem to work, or one that says it works with FC twin. proof of it working with it is better if you can get it, like a video, or a picture of the cart that shows the words made in mexico. keep your eyes and mind open, amazon can have good deals just like ebay.

...of course, if you have a wii, the game only costs 800 points.
---