Classes in Wizardry 5

#1OneCrazyFellowPosted 10/15/2010 7:38:47 AM
You know I've always wondered about the classes in Wiz 5. I've been playing this game since perhaps 1994 (or whatever, I dont remember the release year) and I never had the patience to make some real tests. Nobody seems to really know for sure, or I havent read the right discussions.

Here's a couple things you guys might know:

1- Does the Thief have more chances to disarm a trap than a Ninja does? (for that matter, does the ninja even know how to disarm?)

2- Does the Fighter have an advantage over the Samurai or Lord? More HP per level, maybe.

3- Is the Ninja really better off wearing no armor? What about weapons? (yeah I rarely used that class)

I really want the Fighter and Thief to have some use, because I dont like having two of a same class. But I dont want to gimp my team, either.
#2OneCrazyFellow(Topic Creator)Posted 10/19/2010 9:29:38 AM
Two more questions come to mind:

4- What range does the Ninja have when using fists? (probably Close but I can hope for Short)

5- When changing class, does the experience necessary to get to level 2, 3 etc begins from scratch? So if I turn a lvl 8 Priest into a Lord, will he level up like crazy or will it take the amount required to get a Lord from lvl 8 to lvl 9?
#3OneCrazyFellow(Topic Creator)Posted 10/22/2010 8:33:59 AM
Anyway, here's my party:

Fighter
Fighter
Thief
Wizard
Cleric
Mage

Which is in time going to turn into:

Fighter
Lord
Samurai
Ninja
Thief
Wizard

But so far, although I am having no difficulties, I wish I had more melee power. Having three spellcasters is underpowering, as melee is always more reliable in this game (and most other RPGs, for that matter). At least in the beginning. So I'm really eager for my Mage and Cleric to turn into Samurai and Lord!
#4atmasabrPosted 10/27/2010 10:40:52 PM
Well I can't say I've ever done a scientific experiment, or seen anything relevant on the Japanese sites for Wiz5 (they have a lot of info on the Gaiden games), but my own strong impressions are:

1: No, I don't think so. It's just that trap disarming depends a lot on stats and level. A character class-changed to Ninja has very inferior stats compared to most Thieves.

A Ninja rolled from scratch with 48+ Bonus points has absolutely no difficulty disarming traps.

2: A Fighter has Lord HP, with a faster level progression. Samurai have a different HP progression than Fighters (ending up with fewer HP, I believe). There is at least one Lord-exclusive item. Other than that, really it's a matter of stats.

3/4: It depends on the situation. Ninja wear Samurai equipment. A Ninja with no equipment can carry six extra items for your party and fight much better than a Thief, but will always have a lower Armor Class than your other warriors. A Ninja fighting barehanded eventually gains (or is it starts with?) the extended weapon range. Regardless of weapons, Ninja have more attacks per round compared to other classes.

5: You start from Level 1 in your new class. He will level up like crazy.

At least according to the NES Wizardry guide I have, Thief is rather weak compared to the others, but can hold his own. (Although I find the NES Wizardry to be very different from this game).

I think you should start with a Samurai rather than class-change into one. As for melee power, Strength needs to be very high to get damage bonuses. But really, two melee characters is about par for the course for me. You could try moving your Cleric to rank 3 for better AC, but that's dangerous.

But so far, although I am having no difficulties, I wish I had more melee power. Having three spellcasters is underpowering, as melee is always more reliable in this game (and most other RPGs, for that matter).

Mmmph. I don't think so.
---
I did my own research. I rock!
#5OneCrazyFellow(Topic Creator)Posted 10/28/2010 6:34:26 AM
Thanks for your imput.

It's great news that the Ninja will have longer ranger, so I can have a Fighter, Lord and Samurai in spots 1 to 3, Ninja on 4th. I'll keep the Thief either until the ninja gets powerful, or more likely I'll keep him forever.

Really liking my team so far, although the Wizard and Cleric are really boring. But they are useful.

Go figure why they capped the stats at 20 in this game? You can usually cap your primary stat (like IQ for a Mage) at character creation, so there's barely any advancement this way. I wish they have put a soft-cap instead, that would open up after creation. Oh well!
#6atmasabrPosted 10/30/2010 4:49:41 AM
The stats are actually capped to each race's minimum stat +10. Maximum stats depend on race.

The Ninja's requirements for each stat are actually the lowest maximums for each stat.
---
#7atmasabrPosted 10/31/2010 9:06:59 AM
A Ninja with no equipment can carry six extra items for your party and fight much better than a Thief, but will always have a lower Armor Class than your other warriors

That should read HIGHER Armor Class. Ninja's do not have an especally good Armor Class unequipped until very, very high levels.
---
#8oldschool12345Posted 11/6/2010 12:54:40 PM
1- i think disarming is dependant on level,luck and agility. however at very high levels disarming traps becomes obsolete because you can just open a chest with anyone above level 150+ and no trap will harm that character.

2- the fighter's advantage is fastest level gains, the higher hp count, and additional hits for every 4 levels.

3- i once had a ninja with ac of -99, despite this i was still vulnerable to spells like labadi and titowalt.

imo i think you be better off using the gold plate and other magic resistant armors on a ninja.