Help, how to increase income

#1Berserker1_5Posted 1/18/2010 10:07:53 AM

Okay, I have been trying to learn about the economy of the game, but it really makes NO sense whatsoever. I try to play with the house of Julli, but it's very difficult to gain a good income. My enemies are easy, but again the income is just impossible to keep steady.

In the start, I am able to win easily and get all the way to Spain, or even past it. However, all the cities I captured start to either revolt, or lose the amount of income they yield. For example, when I conquer a village, city, or whatever, it's income usually is around 800-1200 Dens. I also put the taxes on very high, replace the shrine with the Shrine of Jupiter, create peasants, roads, farms. It continues to yield well, but by the time I reach Spain, it usually is at 100-200 den. Before you know it, it's on the negatives, and I have no more income.

I can't reverse it, I can't build nothing, and to make it worse, the big cities. or towns start to revolt and when they kick you out of the city, they usually have a large army. So can anybody help me? How do I have a steady income?

Am I suppose to destroy all the building of the cities I destroyed with that one my? What? Help!

#2PapaRosarioPosted 1/18/2010 11:46:16 AM
I try to play with the house of Julli, but it's very difficult to gain a good income. My enemies are easy, but again the income is just impossible to keep steady.
As the Julii you don't really need to maintain an enormous army since Romans massacre barbarian units (and pretty much everything else too). And if you are maintaining an enormous army then it should be because you're rapidly expanding into several regions simultaneously. If you're only fighting one or two factions at a time, then you don't need much.

In the start, I am able to win easily and get all the way to Spain, or even past it. However, all the cities I captured start to either revolt, or lose the amount of income they yield.
They don't necessarily lose income. The cost to maintain your army is split between your cities based on their population. So your enormous cities will be paying for a large portion of your army so it will therefore look like they're losing a lot of money. Your smaller towns will pay for a tiny portion of your army so it will look like they're making a lot of money. So the reason you see the income going down is because as the town grows, it takes on a larger portion of your military expenses.

For example, when I conquer a village, city, or whatever, it's income usually is around 800-1200 Dens. I also put the taxes on very high, replace the shrine with the Shrine of Jupiter, create peasants, roads, farms. It continues to yield well, but by the time I reach Spain, it usually is at 100-200 den. Before you know it, it's on the negatives, and I have no more income.
Reduce the size of your army. Also, if you have a navy, you can pretty much disband it. The Julii have no need for a navy really. Especially early on in the campaign.

So basically try to reduce the size of your army to reduce the upkeep that you have to pay them. Never keep any garrisons besides peasants. Non-peasant garrisons are a waste of money. You should keep anywhere from 1-3 peasants in any of your towns in general depending on how much you need to keep the order up. Also, you should really never put high taxes on. You should leave it at low or normal. Putting it on high explains why your towns are revolting. Not only does it cause a huge penalty to your public order, but it also hinders population growth.

In general, your build order for economic buildings should be ports -> roads -> mines -> markets. Ports are the most important and markets are the least important. You shouldn't build farms past the first level (Land Clearance) because it creates too much squalor and will destroy your public order.

---
"So I Say lol why is prot warrior chasing me? Am I raid boss lol??"
#3Berserker1_5(Topic Creator)Posted 1/18/2010 12:25:45 PM

Okay, I read that it's not good to have a lot of population and that's the reason why I keep the taxes on very high. No, I do not have a huge army. 3 Generals with armies. Nothing else. I do not create farms.

#4PapaRosarioPosted 1/18/2010 12:33:26 PM
It's good to have large populations. It's not good to have enormous populations. What I mean by this is that once a settlement reaches 24k, it shouldn't go too much higher or your public order will take a hit. You don't need to put on high taxes to accomplish this though. Just don't build too many farms or public health buildings and you should be just fine. And you really should not be worrying about overpopulation when you just conquer a settlement and it only has 1 or 2 thousand population. That's when you should be focused on expanding the population as fast as possible.

High taxes are probably the source of your problem. Not only will it cause your settlements to revolt, but since it hinders population growth, it also reduces the amount of people you can tax.

---
#5Berserker1_5(Topic Creator)Posted 1/18/2010 12:51:14 PM

Okay, so I tried it. It seems to be working, but I still don't understand some stuff.

For example, no matter what I do, some big cities always revolt. Another question is, when I take over a settlement what buildings should I replace bsides the temple.

#6Monkey_SlayerPosted 1/19/2010 12:23:07 AM
Funny, I've never had any problem with income in any TW game... and the only public order problems I have are with settlements like Carthage or the egyptian cities (stupid grain transport gives them +3 population growth >_>). I build Ports/Roads/Temples first (in that order, unless I need to rack up some public order), then the other income buildings (unless it's a settlement I'm planning on recruiting from), keep my taxes on very high and peasants as garrison (1 unit for every thousand is fine until something like 8k+, then you'll want to have a general with decent influence, too).

If you're having a lot of trouble with public order, check if your settlements have a high unrest rate. If so, put a spy in there and it will start going down (all the way down to 0 in a matter of just few turns, unless there are enemy spies around that increase unrest by something like 20). If you have a spy in a settlement you can even keep them at 80% public order and they won't lift a finger (unless the squalor factor grows bigger).

You should also only keep your army as small as possible, 3 armies (if they are full) sounds rather much if you're only going for Spain yet.
---
"Ah... the days of my youth... like the scent of fresh lemon..." you see.
~Marvin Grossberg
#7Berserker1_5(Topic Creator)Posted 1/19/2010 8:55:41 AM

Thanks. i'll try that.

Also, how is it that when I the capital of Spain(near the edge), the city revolts the next turn. I put my best general there with huge influence, stars, and governing. Wtf? I don't have time to replace anything. I am just suppose to exterminate it?

#8PapaRosarioPosted 1/19/2010 9:27:18 AM
Did you try putting the taxes on low? Sometimes you have to do that for a few turns until you can get the public order up through buildings. Also, try moving your capital city towards the center of your empire. Arretium is all the way at the southeast edge and "Distance to Capital" is a source of disorder. So moving your capital to a more central location will help out more settlements.
---
#9Monkey_SlayerPosted 1/19/2010 10:49:32 AM
There are several factors in the settlement details scroll that have a negative effect on public order: taxes (if they are normal it's 0, high you get -20 on public order, very high -40 and on low you get +30) are the easiest to manage, then there is culture penalty (I'm not too sure which buildings affect this, but I guess destryoing every building possible should have at least some kind of an impact...) which fades away after you start upgrading the city with your own buildings, unrest (as I said, should be workable with spies), distance to capital (I recommend putting your capital in the center of your empire) and lastly squalor which is affected by settlement size and some general traits such as 'frugal' (buildings with a positive effect on public health directly remove squalor). Look up the settlement details scroll and see if any of these is too high. For the positive side of the public order bar, you'll have to have a good general (one that has law traits and influence) or garrison. Maximum for any of these effects, positive or negative, is 80%.

As for exterminating the populace or not, I generally just occupy settlements with 400-3000 inhabitants, enslave 3000-8000 and exterminate anything over that (though I make exceptions, too, for example you don't necessarily have to exterminate or even enslave other roman cities). This should give you enough time to build public order buildings for when the city starts getting more populated.
---
"Ah... the days of my youth... like the scent of fresh lemon..." you see.
~Marvin Grossberg
#10Berserker1_5(Topic Creator)Posted 1/19/2010 10:50:56 AM

Okay, now I need help. I followed your suggestionsand it went well for a while. Now, I have an empire that has a huge amount of population. My capital has a huge amount of people, it's nearly 40k and growing. I can't make troops anymore. If I do, I will soon lose a lot of the money i was building up to bride everyone :D

What do you people do I this point. The money I yieldevery turnis HUGE(20k), but my 4 cities that create troops are in the negatives. Should I keep making troops and ignore the defeciet I am getting since my other towns/cities/villages cover it? How can I stop it the growth, it will hit 50 fast.

Also, how do i lower the Qasor, or something like that?