How to play as Greeks?

#1jimbobs21Posted 2/20/2010 4:59:10 PM
Hey guys, I haven't gotten this game yet, but I was wondering how do you play as the Greeks? From what I know, there are only 3 factions you can choose from (Julii, Brutii, Scipii.) Also, I've heard that you can also play as Spartans. Are they under the Greek faction? I really have no knowledge about this game at the moment, so any help is appreciated. Thanks!
#2PapaRosarioPosted 2/20/2010 6:28:23 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#3PapaRosarioPosted 2/20/2010 6:30:40 PM
To play a campaign as a non-Roman faction, you first have to win the campaign as any one of the three Roman factions. Alternatively, you could just edit a data file to make all the factions available to play from the start.

If you decide to edit the data file though, make sure you backup the original file before editing it so that you can revert to that file if you make any mistakes. Otherwise your game might become unplayable and you will have to reinstall.

There is no Spartan faction. However, the Greek Cities faction have their capital initially set at Sparta from where they can recruit Spartan Hoplites, which are arguably the best infantry you can recruit in the game.
---
"So I Say lol why is prot warrior chasing me? Am I raid boss lol??"
#4Sir_RaZZoPosted 2/20/2010 8:17:11 PM
You don't have to win an entire campaign. All you need to do to make the other factions playable is simply conquer them in campaign mode.
---
It will rain soon. Blood will fall like rain...-Karel
Member of The Phoenix Force™
#5jimbobs21(Topic Creator)Posted 2/21/2010 4:44:37 PM
Alright, thanks for the help guys!
#6sSubZerOoPosted 2/28/2010 9:42:12 PM
.. Don't be disapointed with the Greeks though when you find out that their cavalry and ranged units (except siege engines) absolutely suck... Though that doesn't stop them from having some of the most broken infantry in the game.. Armoured Hoplites (I prefer them over Spartan, cheaper, and way more armour though Spartan's have 2 hps instead of one), with blacksmithing upgrades and such they have armor like in the mid 20s and are basically immune to archers..
#7BarrowhitePosted 3/1/2010 8:12:37 AM
Greeks have 2 major advantages, infantry and archers, almost the entire of the Greek peninsula will spawn the mercenaries "Cretan Archers" these are the best archers in the game next to Pharoh's Bowmen, so hire them whenever you can otherwise you will be stuck using vanilla archers.

Your cavalry is probably the worst in the game, also beware when you are fighting Macedon as your phalanxes are in 3 ranks where as Macedonian Royal Pikemen fight in 4 due to their longer range so you will want to engage with armoured hopilites in the front and hit their flanks and rear.

Also beware of the Macedonian Companion Cavalry, it will really ruin your day as it is far superior to any mounted troops you can train, against Macedon it is best to destroy them early before their good units get going as they can pose a serious threat.

While you cavalry is no good, it does not mean you should not buy it as a rear charge in to engaged infantry will always break them if they have poor morale. A typical army you will want to consist of 4-6 cavalry, 4-6 archers then as many hopilites as you can. I can't even begin to stress how important weapons and especially armour upgrades are to Greece so make sure at least 1 city has the very best metalworks you can build to keep them with the best upgrades you can.

i don't remember if Greece has any temples that add to armour or weapon quality but be sure to check.

Your biggest issue will be starting, compared to the factions that neighbour it Greece has an extremely weak start, you can't rely on getting a constant supply of Cretan archers and their inclusion to your forces will be the exception rather than the rule. Your starting Hopilites are very weak and have poor morale (don't even build Militia Hopilites) and your first good unit which are Armoured Hopilites don't make an appearance till quite a while. So try to make do with basic Hopilite units.

Utilize cavalry defensively until your opponent has none of their own left as a rear charge will likely rout most of your army, Greece are challenging to play on harder difficulties (every faction is easy on lower difficulties) but when you get to grips with them and your armies are composed of well upgraded armoured hopilites with some Spartans thrown in you will never look back.
---
Mr.Kipling just launched a nuclear holocaust at third world countries!.... but he does make exceedingly good cakes
#8ChaosArbiterPosted 3/2/2010 7:54:26 AM
almost the entire of the Greek peninsula will spawn the mercenaries "Cretan Archers" these are the best archers in the game next to Pharoh's Bowmen, so hire them whenever you can otherwise you will be stuck using vanilla archers.

Cretan Archers are the *worst* of the upgraded Archers. While they outrange and outdamage basic Archers (Roman Archers, Greek Archers, etc), Upgraded Archers (Archer Auxilia, Chosen Archers, Forester Warbands, Pharaoh's Bowmen) have the same range and actually have *Armor*, which Cretans lack. Cretans are excellent in the early game, or if the faction you're using lacks upgraded Archers, but fall short of the mark when compared to any of the upgraded Archers.
---
"Akira! Oh, how that lonesome sound brings me back. At the end, I am an anime otaku at heart."
"... What?"
#9Eneru112Posted 3/3/2010 3:39:11 PM

Greece sucks.

#10BarrowhitePosted 3/3/2010 5:38:39 PM
Their attack characteristic is much higher than that of most of the other advanced archery units. Not to mention how easy it is to get gold level ranged weapons as Greece you end up with archers at 14 attack power on their missiles :) The basic missile attack on all the advanced archer units are:

Forester Warband: 11
Cretan Archers: 11
Pharoh's Bowmen: 10
Chosen Archer warband: 8
Archer Auxillia: 8

In a straight up man for man shootout the Cretan Archers will usually lose out but unless your opponent matches the number of advanced archery units on the field as you, you can usually win the archery duel, or at least cripple their archery forces to a point they are utterly neglible to everyone else in the battle.
---
Mr.Kipling just launched a nuclear holocaust at third world countries!.... but he does make exceedingly good cakes