Problems with patching to 1.3

#1CrystolMethodPosted 9/11/2010 4:43:45 AM
Hi guys I currently have rome total war installed on my vista pc and it is at patch 1.0 however I want it to be patch 1.3 - here is my problem;

When installing the game, because it is on vista it had to be installed differently otherwise it would not work. I installed the game through 'compatibility mode' and this way it worked, but also the game has to be launched differently to work.

On my old XP it was quite simple, install normally use icon created on desktop to launch game, however with this PC and vista I need to go to my computer > program files (x86) > activision > rome total war ? rtw.exe

Now this is perfectly fine when running the game, my only issue now is that I seem to have rome total war in two folders from installing it, these are Program Files & Program Files (x86). If I try running the game through Program Files, it simply just does not work, it will bring up the little square RTW box which appears before the game is launched but the game will just simply not launch..

This is where the problem kicks in, with the RTW 1.3 patch, and I've installed patches from other sources and totalwars home website.. It simply patches the Program Files RTW.. rather than the RTW in Program Files (x86) - and the problem is that I cannot choose which file to patch, it simply asks me to install the patch.. Once installed I can only modify, remove or re-install but that still doesn't let me choose which folder to patch.

I am completely stumped and have no idea whatsoever as to how to patch the RTW in the Program Files (x86) folder - has anyone had this problem before and do they know anyway of coming around it?

Yes I have tried browsing on google but I cannot find any threads relevant enough to help me out with this, any input would be most appreciated thankyou..
#2CrystolMethod(Topic Creator)Posted 9/12/2010 9:23:27 AM
Nobody? :(
#3AtIantisPosted 9/14/2010 3:52:10 PM
shut up
---
http://i41.tinypic.com/2qmnehs.png http://i42.tinypic.com/16lwadw.png
http://i39.tinypic.com/96yz69.png http://card.mygamercard.net/nxe/VeRmIn+KiLLeR.png
#4ChaosArbiterPosted 9/14/2010 9:57:04 PM
I am completely stumped and have no idea whatsoever as to how to patch the RTW in the Program Files (x86) folder - has anyone had this problem before and do they know anyway of coming around it?

Don't put Rome in Program Files. Either Uninstall or just move the folders manually, but just put them in the C: drive so the path is just C:\The Creative Assembly\Rome - Total War.

That aside - no, my Rome came with 1.3, so if there's a particular problem with that Patch (like whether or not you need to have 1.2 before patching to 1.3), I don't know about it.
---
If everything seems to be going well, you obviously have no idea what the hell is going on.
Hinamizawa: Where killing your friends is always the answer.
#5Lucky Sh0tPosted 9/17/2010 2:23:23 PM
I have this same problem on 7, it's install path is program files but the main bulk of the program installs to x86 instead.

With other games i solved the problem by installing to a different file location on a seperate partition to avoid the program files screw up that is modern operating systems, however if like me and the TC you have an original copy of the game and not a newer edition then you will need to patch.

And here is where the problems begin, the patches automatically install to the default path location which as we all know is program files/activision/rome total war. I have not yet tried to install the game to a seperate partition and then patch so with luck the patch will install to the location where it detects rome and not always to the default location.

It's worth a try, but of course as i typed this i realised that i have another way to patch my game to 1.3, i have barbarian 'crappy' invasion so i should be able to install to a seperate partition and then install BI to that same location which would then bypass the new program files layout.

TC, give one or both of these options a try as it may just work, i know i will certainly try them.
---
Xbox Gamertag: Aurilion
WoW - lvl 80 Paladin, lvl 32 Warrior, lvl 70 Rogue, lvl 70 Mage - Chamber of Aspects (EU)
#6ChaosArbiterPosted 9/17/2010 2:31:02 PM
And here is where the problems begin, the patches automatically install to the default path location which as we all know is program files/activision/rome total war. I have not yet tried to install the game to a seperate partition and then patch so with luck the patch will install to the location where it detects rome and not always to the default location.

I *do* have Windows 7 (and had Vista on my last one, so I had to put it outside Program Files there as well). I just installed the thing (I do have R:TW Gold that comes with 1.3 and a separate BI disc) into the location I gave above.
---
If everything seems to be going well, you obviously have no idea what the hell is going on.
Hinamizawa: Where killing your friends is always the answer.
#7Lucky Sh0tPosted 9/17/2010 2:55:10 PM
Re-installed to a separate partition, moved my 1.3 patch into that folder, ran the patch.

I can confirm, the patch does search for the install directory and it has successfully patched my game to 1.3.
---
Xbox Gamertag: Aurilion
WoW - lvl 80 Paladin, lvl 32 Warrior, lvl 70 Rogue, lvl 70 Mage - Chamber of Aspects (EU)