Gaul campaign strategy

#1OrangeIbanezOnePosted 2/22/2011 9:36:52 PM
I've had this game for years now, and I'm ashamed to say I've never played a campaign as Gaul. It seems a little daunting because I already know it will be quite challenging.

First, I'll be situated in the midst of four factions. Brittannia, the Julii Romans, Spain, and Germania. The Britons and the Romans bother me the most. I'd think I would have to spam warbands in order to deal with the Britons' chariots, yes. But that leaves me weak against any infantry they bring. Moreover, warbands won't do the trick against Rome because their strength lies in their infantry. I could pin them down with swordsmen and hammer and anvil them with my cavalry, but this will bring a high cost in life.

Moreover, fighting a war on two fronts with cities as poor (and poorly situated) as the Gaulic towns will not be easy. Money will be a problem.

So, I think there is but two strategies, and both of them force me to make a blitz. I can either blitz north against the Britons and fight them on their home ground, entrenching myself in the north, and eliminating their threat. Or, I could blitz the Romans before they become too advanced. This would basically bottleneck them into Italy.

Germania will only be a problem later in the game when their top tier units come into the fold. By then, I hope to be too strong in my cities and forts to be stormed, and too numerous to be met in the open field.

Spain will eventually come from the South, but all that worries me from them are Bull Warriors. Even then, they're never too numerous within the Spanish armies.

Any other tips?
---
With a whimper, not a bang. Pretty general stuff, sir.
#2RiggedtoblowPosted 2/22/2011 9:54:32 PM
Definitely some good concerns... I'd personally suggest going after the British first, but only till you can push them off the main land. After that, I'd go with a naval strategy and blockade all their ports. Shortly after this, you should be able to hunt down their fleets and pretty much keep them stuck on the isles. While doing this (or after if need be) I'd suggest taking out Spain while keeping a defensive posture towards the Romans, use your defenses and force the Romans to spend their time sieging you're outlying towns and waste their numbers on your defenses (mainly allowing you to gang up on the roman troops as they file into the wall breaches.). After taking out Spain, I'd suggest focusing your efforts on either Britain proper or the Julii. Spain's resources should allow you to set up a fairly high military force, which you can then bring to bare on your most dangerous enemies.

Anyway, that's my suggestion, but I'd modify it to fit your tastes best.
---
Living just for battle seems pretty sad, you know? ~Legault
We're about to be destroyed by... ARTIFICIAL FLAVORING!!! ~Power Rangers
#3gbix123Posted 2/23/2011 1:59:06 AM
I haven't been able to win as Gaul either (playing medium difficulty) but my best results came from launching an immedieate all out attack against the Julii right at the start. Hire all the mercs in N. Italy and concentrate your forces against the mobile Julii army the first turn. Then besiege bth their cities before they can capture any more. Exterminate the populations and deconstruct all buildings to add to your treasury and recruit peasants from them to drain what's left of the population. That will prevent the other Roman factiions from getting any benefir if they take them back. I have besieged Rome, but never taken it, and the other factions will come after you if you do. You are probably be better off halting after you wipe out the Julii and bulding forts to slow down any Roman attacks while you deal with the other factions. Forts in the Alpine passes are very effective.

The best I have done is to wipe out the Julii and Spain, ally with Germany and kick the Brits out of the mainland. But inevetably the Germans double-cross you, join forces with the Brits against you and along with the other Roman factions grind you down.
#4ChaosArbiterPosted 2/23/2011 6:43:36 AM
I'd think I would have to spam warbands in order to deal with the Britons' chariots, yes. But that leaves me weak against any infantry they bring.

Fortunately, the Britons don't have much in the way of Infantry - they have what you have, Woad Warriors, and Head Hurlers. Both units are dangerous *attackers* but fall easily due to low Defense (Skirmishers, Foresters). It's been a while since I've played Vanilla, and I don't think I ever finished a long campaign as the Gauls (did a Short Campaign once), but you should be able to make a decent army with Warband meatshields, some Swordsmen, and either Skirmishers or Cavalry.

Moreover, warbands won't do the trick against Rome because their strength lies in their infantry. I could pin them down with swordsmen and hammer and anvil them with my cavalry, but this will bring a high cost in life.

If you want an 'easy' win against the Romans, you'll need a few units: Druids, to lower Roman Morale (especially if you let them get Post-Marian - DO NOT DO THAT); Chosen Swordsmen, as they're competetive units (actually better than Principes, except they don't have pila); and Forester Warbands, as they're ludicrously broken. Foresters have a powerful, Long Range basic attack (11), and the Gauls have two Temples that make them better - an XP Temple, and a Missile Temple; that means that once you've teched up to them, you can have 17 Attack Forester Warbands in 3 turns (2 turns to build in a +3 XP Temple Town, move to a +3 Missile Attack Town and upgrade Attack), which turn almost any unit into Swiss Cheese (Cataphracts have 18 Armour).

So, I think there is but two strategies, and both of them force me to make a blitz. I can either blitz north against the Britons and fight them on their home ground, entrenching myself in the north, and eliminating their threat. Or, I could blitz the Romans before they become too advanced. This would basically bottleneck them into Italy.

I have a (almost purely theoretical, but should be workable) option: Drive the Britons off the mainland, then either let it fall to the Germans or gift it to someone. Either way, you've accomplished your goal of removing the Briton threat. After that, either invade or migrate *south* into Spain - there are close-proximity Ports, which will help money problems, Mines IIRC which will help even more, and you aren't bracketed by enemies either - anyone who wants to come at you will have to push into Spain, and the Germans and Julii will probably be fighting over Gaul if you decide to abandon it.

Germania will only be a problem later in the game when their top tier units come into the fold. By then, I hope to be too strong in my cities and forts to be stormed, and too numerous to be met in the open field.

Remember that Germania's basic unit is a phalanx unit, not the Warband you use, so they can be nasty in cities. Other than that, while their units are better than yours, the AI isn't terribly good at tactics; face them in open terrain where you can use missile weapons to thin any dangerous opponents (Chosen Axemen and Berserkers especially) and close with Chosen Swords.

Spain will eventually come from the South, but all that worries me from them are Bull Warriors. Even then, they're never too numerous within the Spanish armies.

The Scutarii aren't terrible either (Worse armour and morale than Principes, but better Attack), but it's true that Spain doesn't have much that can make it dangerous in the hands of the AI.

*Reads other two posts* Huh, it seems Riggedtoblow and I had the same idea regarding Spain :P
---
If everything seems to be going well, you obviously have no idea what the hell is going on.
Hinamizawa: Where killing your friends is always the answer.
#5codysan87Posted 2/23/2011 1:44:22 PM(edited)
Yeah I'd start by pushing Britain off the mainland, then I'd take over spain, that'll give you a pretty defensible position, then the germans and Julii can fight over france if worse comes to worst.

Edit: Heh seems that was all covered. ;)
---
The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few or the one.