Gem Polishing

#1CobraGTPosted 6/4/2012 9:26:21 PM(edited)
Consider this. You have an A gem and you polish it repeatedly until it is Q. The most expensive polishing tier is the one for P gems. 1 1/2 million Gald. An A gem goes A -> C -> E -> G -> I -> K -> M -> O-> Q and skips the P tier. Polishing a gem from A seems to be cheaper than starting with a P gem and polishing a P gem to Q!

Geometric progression, hmm ... Anyhow polishing a gem from C to Q is cheaper than polishing a gem from P to Q.

---
GoldenSun/Crossbone Isle diagrams/ 18 teams known http://s174.photobucket.com/albums/w89/SwordOfWheat/Weyard/PicsNao/
#2KryptoPyro13Posted 6/4/2012 9:30:08 PM
I'll keep this in mind.

...Too bad I'm bankrupt from buying the stupid worthless Eleth Mod titles. >_>
---
"I expected disappointment. In that regard, I was not disappointed."
Iwata: "Betrayal that makes the fans happy!"
#3mosspitPosted 6/4/2012 10:45:11 PM
CobraGT posted...
Anyhow polishing a gem from C to Q is cheaper than polishing a gem from P to Q.

C to Q? I think you mean C to P?

Anyways, I read a post from a gem polishing thread and it was good advice. To hit the higher gem levels for book completion, it is cheaper and faster to polish gems with skewed effects eg. Effect A[7] / Effect B[1] as far as polishing goes. Once level of the higher effects maxes or hits the level you like, use dualize to get gems you want. Need a little testing beforehand to check if the effects don't get messed up during dualize.
#4CobraGT(Topic Creator)Posted 6/5/2012 12:11:37 AM(edited)
a
b
c
d
e
f
g
h
i
j
k
l
m
n
o
p
q

a -> c -> e -> g -> i -> k -> m -> o -> q

You skip from "oh" to "cu." You skip every other level.

Regarding dualizing vs polishing:

If your effects come off a weapon in short supply such as a weapon with random effects or you want a particular quality on the gem such as Nataliated, it is way faster to collect the Gald. Right now I know enough about dualizing that my Dreamer's Flange + 4 sold for over 800, 000 gald. I used garbage shards on the Dreamer's Flange (and the info in the dualizing faq ).

---
GoldenSun/Crossbone Isle diagrams/ 18 teams known http://s174.photobucket.com/albums/w89/SwordOfWheat/Weyard/PicsNao/
#5mosspitPosted 6/5/2012 12:05:24 AM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#6mosspitPosted 6/5/2012 12:20:14 AM(edited)
Ok. I think i got what you are trying to say.

Edit: If refering to original statement of
Anyhow polishing a gem from C to Q is cheaper than polishing a gem from P to Q.

It kinda depends. If you start with a gem with Effect A [3] / Effect B [1], your actual progression is C (3/1) > E (4/2) > G (5/3) > I (6/4) > K (7/5) > M (8/6) > O (9/7) > P (9/8) > Q (9/9)

In this case, the P to Q step is not skipped even though you started at C so it is not cheaper. In this case.
#7mosspitPosted 6/5/2012 12:45:54 AM(edited)
CobraGT posted...

Regarding dualizing vs polishing:

If your effects come off a weapon in short supply such as a weapon with random effects or you want a particular quality on the gem such as Nataliated, it is way faster to collect the Gald. Right now I know enough about dualizing that my Dreamer's Flange + 4 sold for over 800, 000 gald. I used garbage shards on the Dreamer's Flange (and the info in the dualizing faq ).

I personally made a S gem with restore that is only available on weapons. The way I did it is to get a gem with the effect and polish it to something like Restore [7] / Random effect [5]. After which I dualize the gem to get a lower secondary like Restore [7] / Random effect [1] which drops the gem level and makes it cheaper for polishing. In this case, I am not against polishing, I simply saying you can incorporate dualizing to reduce the polishing cost when you are creating High level gems.

For those special cameo qualities, it is easier to just polish which I assume helps in not changing the quality. However, doing so will only net you a Q gem at best. (Unless you end up with 2 gems with the same special quality... maybe).
#8CobraGT(Topic Creator)Posted 6/8/2012 6:50:06 PM
I personally made a S gem with restore that is only available on weapons. The way I did it is to get a gem with the effect and polish it to something like Restore [7] / Random effect [5]. After which I dualize the gem to get a lower secondary like Restore [7] / Random effect [1] which drops the gem level and makes it cheaper for polishing. In this case, I am not against polishing, I simply saying you can incorporate dualizing to reduce the polishing cost when you are creating High level gems.

That is genius. Thank you.
---