Wait, you can escape from battle?

#1BlaeuPosted 4/13/2012 7:08:12 PM
I have played through the game a few times now and I just happened to read someone saying that you should escape from battle. What?!

lol

I had no idea that there was even an option to escape from battle and have had so many unfortunate game overs on Evil or Chaos that just didn't need to happen. Does the game actually cover this, or are you supposed to actually read the manual or something?

Seriously, I feel so dumb to not have realized this. ;)

This also makes the Fur of the Gong quest slightly more reasonable, stupid fur...
---
"We do not stop playing because we get old, we get old because we stop playing." -- George Bernard Shaw
#2player2slowPosted 4/13/2012 7:11:01 PM

With the character that you control, just run toward the edge of the screen. There will be a wait as a bar fills. Then you can flee and hope you escape before the enemy catches up to you there....

LOL!

#3beautheschmoPosted 4/13/2012 7:11:03 PM
You just have to run against the edge of the battle field for a few seconds to escape.

I believe there's a tutorial page on it, but the game never covers it during normal gameplay.
---
Koitsu wa mirai wo takusu eigo no tsurugi da! ZANKUU TENSHOUKEN!!!!
#4Blaeu(Topic Creator)Posted 4/13/2012 7:13:56 PM
That partly explains it. I rarely, if ever, free run in this game due to how slow you move.
---
"We do not stop playing because we get old, we get old because we stop playing." -- George Bernard Shaw
#5JeffehzPosted 4/13/2012 7:14:58 PM
you don't have to free run, just run backwards.
#6Elec Man EXEPosted 4/13/2012 7:17:25 PM
I don't recall the game ever telling you about it, no. Considering the rather unorthodox way that you run (who thinks "Mash against invisible wall at the edge = run?"), I think its a definate mistake that the game never tells you how to do so. The game is pretty good at explaining other stuff, even semi-advanced battle tactics like dashing forward to extend enemy stun time, so the fact that it ignores a basic thing like running is even worse.

I believe there is a brief mention in the manual though.
---
Master of Electricity
#7cc4567Posted 4/13/2012 7:26:50 PM
The game doesn't want you to run away. Running away is for cowards. FIGHT TILL THE END
---
PSN ID: crest456
"They say love occurs randomly." "Yeah? Well so does Diarrhea."
#8JakomaynePosted 4/13/2012 7:28:12 PM
Funny thing is, if you use free run on the edge, the escape bar doesn't increase/depletes. So you're forced to run in a straight line. This basically makes escape completely pointless.
---
http://img156.imageshack.us/img156/5127/leaderaz.jpg
#9Ticking_DeathPosted 4/13/2012 9:17:07 PM
For the record, I got one of those after battle tips during the childhood arc that did in fact tell me how to run away, so I can say that the game does at least mention it at some point.
---
"i keel en pee cee and nao i cannut bai itumz. hao fix?"
#10AceviperPosted 4/13/2012 9:21:49 PM
one of the npcs tells you about it

im not sure, but i think it was the dog lady kerri is raising that tells you it
---
If gameshark wasn't invented... games wont be as popular anymore
-Someone