Guesstimation on how far people have gotten (PSN survey)

#11Arceus1234Posted 6/16/2012 8:23:29 PM
Proud to be in that 9.72%
---
The official Milla Maxwell of all boards.
#12Krystal109Posted 6/16/2012 9:05:48 PM
Hell I have a 200+ hour save file with almost 900 K worth of data on the walkthrough and I haven't platinumed the game.

This happens all the time for me though. I spend loads of time on the guide and complete it as much as I can. Then I get sick and move onto a new game. I'll go back and platinum it in like 6 months.
#13DamthielPosted 6/16/2012 9:42:34 PM
Krystal109 posted...
Hell I have a 200+ hour save file with almost 900 K worth of data on the walkthrough and I haven't platinumed the game.

This happens all the time for me though. I spend loads of time on the guide and complete it as much as I can. Then I get sick and move onto a new game. I'll go back and platinum it in like 6 months.

lol yeah that's how it works. Sort of hard to focus your energy on doing anything else when you're writing a guide. I do like your guide though.

Anyway, I would be seriously suspicious of the statement "it probably gathers data from everyone's account" and I would be immensely surprised if it did. After all, you do have to "sync" your information with the site itself; it doesn't automatically just know who you are. I mean it's like....you have your trophy list on your HDD, but if you never sync it with PSN, PSN will never know what trophies you have. It works kind of the same way. So no, I seriously don't think it actually accounts for everyone. I have not synced any of my data with that site, so it doesn't know who I am. Although I see how you got to your statement of believing that.

After all, you can look at it even more in-depth with that statement; there are people out there with no internet connection, but do have a ps3. That means there are people out there that could have the plat, but it's only saved on their HDD, hence no one knows about it but themselves. Hell, I was there at one point when I first got my ps3, I had 3 plats but had no PSN account.

That said, take a stats class, I think you'll enjoy it; stats actually don't mean much when you understand it. One of the other posts brings up a good point, yeah the game has only been out a couple of months, so there's more to consider than just the data at hand. Sample size is incredibly important.
#14KryptoPyro13(Topic Creator)Posted 6/16/2012 10:03:37 PM
(Or was that just Zhonecage)

While you're right in that Zhonecage can be completed before L&L, I feel that most people would complete L&L first unless they grinded or turned down difficulty. (if that's what you meant?)

I also think a lot of people either missed L&L or thought it was just a plain extra.

Its only been out two months guys! I am sure if we did this survery another few months down the road the percentages would be a lot higher.

That's a good point. XD

Anyway, I would be seriously suspicious of the statement "it probably gathers data from everyone's account" and I would be immensely surprised if it did. After all, you do have to "sync" your information with the site itself; it doesn't automatically just know who you are. I mean it's like....you have your trophy list on your HDD, but if you never sync it with PSN, PSN will never know what trophies you have. It works kind of the same way. So no, I seriously don't think it actually accounts for everyone. I have not synced any of my data with that site, so it doesn't know who I am. Although I see how you got to your statement of believing that.

After all, you can look at it even more in-depth with that statement; there are people out there with no internet connection, but do have a ps3. That means there are people out there that could have the plat, but it's only saved on their HDD, hence no one knows about it but themselves. Hell, I was there at one point when I first got my ps3, I had 3 plats but had no PSN account.

o_o Did you just say what I said in my OP? "people with PSN uploading trophy data are recorded"

That said, take a stats class, I think you'll enjoy it; stats actually don't mean much when you understand it. One of the other posts brings up a good point, yeah the game has only been out a couple of months, so there's more to consider than just the data at hand. Sample size is incredibly important.

I'm a math major... :X I've taken 3 stats classes, and AP Stats in high school. I know all about sampling and that's why I worded my OP like that.

Although you do bring up a good point. I'm not sure whether that site (which isn't affiliated with Sony/PS) can access everyone's data, even those which haven't been inputted in that little slot up there. After all, upon further research, only 1 person owns Wanted Corp and has access to PSN. On the other hand, I didn't even log in with my information and could access my trophy data. :/ On yet another hand, it says over 37,000 people use that site AND have played the Godfather 2.

So I'm not sure how it gathers its data. But as for sampling bias, if anything these numbers should be overestimates. Those who have at least started playing the game, have PSN, and have put their PSN into that site. Only the more "hardcore" of gamers would have a PSN account much less have put data into that site...

...But then again (lol), here's ToGf's page on that site:
http://psnprofiles.com/trophies/Tales-of-Graces-f
---
"I expected disappointment. In that regard, I was not disappointed."
Iwata: "Betrayal that makes the fans happy!"
#15Krystal109Posted 6/16/2012 11:11:30 PM
Damthiel posted...

I'm pretty sure it actually connects to your HDD through the PS3 somehow. For example I have NEVER synced any of my Atelier Meruru trophies to my PSN account, but it know that this is the last game i've played and the trophies I have for it. That means that it is getting the information from my HDD, not from my PSN. How does it even KNOW this?

Also, I think it only takes into account the people who have INSTALLED the trophies on their HDD. So that means that it is out of XXX people that own the game. Honestly, I would LOVE to know how it knows so much about my trophies without me syncing for like a year.
#16Celine10Posted 6/17/2012 2:41:02 AM(edited)
KryptoPyro13 posted...
Bump...

Under half the people who got the game beat it and about 1/4 did the f arc... Does no one care?! D:

You shouldn't be surprised, in the past many surveys indicated that statistically less than half of a game's buyers actually complete the game. If that's true for 10 hours shooter, I don't see why it shouldn't be with 50+ hours long jrpgs.

Also, it's amusing how you avoided to compare Graces f's data with other jrpgs, even if you could easily see them on that site:

-FF13's last story trophy has a 42% ratio

-Star Ocean 4 has a 29%

-Resonance of Fate has a 19%

-Disgaea 4 has a 39%

-Neptunia has a 28%

-Atelier Rorona has a 27%

So, what exactly should we discuss? How Tales of Graces f's main story has actually an higher completion ratio than most other jrpgs?
#17Krystal109Posted 6/17/2012 2:55:35 AM
You know what I LOVE though? The under 1% platinum rating for Beatles Rock Band.
#18KryptoPyro13(Topic Creator)Posted 6/17/2012 9:11:05 AM
Celine10 posted...
KryptoPyro13 posted...
Bump...

Under half the people who got the game beat it and about 1/4 did the f arc... Does no one care?! D:

You shouldn't be surprised, in the past many surveys indicated that statistically less than half of a game's buyers actually complete the game. If that's true for 10 hours shooter, I don't see why it shouldn't be with 50+ hours long jrpgs.

Also, it's amusing how you avoided to compare Graces f's data with other jrpgs, even if you could easily see them on that site:

-FF13's last story trophy has a 42% ratio

-Star Ocean 4 has a 29%

-Resonance of Fate has a 19%

-Disgaea 4 has a 39%

-Neptunia has a 28%

-Atelier Rorona has a 27%

So, what exactly should we discuss? How Tales of Graces f's main story has actually an higher completion ratio than most other jrpgs?

I never played those games, lol. But that's a good point. It means ToGf is AWESOME. Or that people who got ToGf were mostly people who wanted to play/beat it anyways...

You know what I LOVE though? The under 1% platinum rating for Beatles Rock Band.

Hey, I have that game... Admittedly my parents got it for me... because THEY like The Beatles. o_o;
---
"I expected disappointment. In that regard, I was not disappointed."
Iwata: "Betrayal that makes the fans happy!"
#19Blaze21Posted 6/17/2012 10:02:49 AM
Tales is the type of series that seems to me only fans get/know about. It's not mainstream like FF where people will get and try just because, as someone else here mentioned. I'm thinking most people may just not have gotten around to it yet. I've had the game since release but because of classes and other responsibilities, I just haven't had the time to really sit down a play it. I just picked it up about a week ago again and have just now made it to chapter...7 I believe? That may be the case for most.

I totally intend to platinum this game, it just may take a while. I didn't Platinum FFXIII till November of 2011 and I had the game since release date. haha! Plus, I don't like rushing through games these days. At $60+ a pop, I like for them to last more than a few weeks. Which is probably why RPG's are the games I usually play.
---
I found that highly offensive
#20darkzero16Posted 6/17/2012 10:08:24 AM
Krystal109 posted...

I LoL'd hard. Not sure if I was suppose to take it the way I did though.
---
And please don't respond to this with "You're young, you won't get it".
A good argument doesn't need 5 years to become effective.