I'm rather shocked at the hate...

#1greyamaltheaPosted 3/28/2011 1:50:16 PM
I have been playing this game for the past three days, and I am rather shocked to see all the hate here. I also assume most of the lovers are playing the game rather than defending it. Well since carpal tunnel is making playing painful, I thought I'd check out the boards… And well I see all this hate.

This is a good game, if you don't go in expecting it to be The Sims 3. I'm rather glad it isn't, I didn't like much of the changes in the Sims 3 from 2, but we won't go into that. This game has to be THE BEST spin off I have ever played from the Sims, better than the consol ports and other things. Some of the main complains:

No build mode! While this is true, they do allow you to edit much of the existing rooms, you just can't manually add more. I don't find this so terrible because there are lots of options for décor and other things.

No families/aging/etc! I think that allowing people to have two kids is cool and they aren't as useless as people make them to be, you get buffs from chatting with them and can send them to the store, which can be helpful when you are the Monarch and it takes forever to get there. I don't see the need for aging. This game seems to be about making a kingdom in one lifetime, it's not about building up one over a long period of time. It's eliminated the need to have generation after generation after generation to FINALLY afford x, y, or z.

It's not The Sims 3 with medieval skins! How is this bad? I get tired of The Sims sometimes, and this game has been very enjoyable for me. It can be as casual or as 'hard core' as you want. You don't have to rush through quests, and while the game will remind you, you can spend your time leveling your character or making friends, (which I encourage to just 'doing the quests').

I'll admit the free play mode is lacking, I have no real interest in it after the kingdom is done. I don't think restarting the kingdoms is so terrible (I have… three so far?). There are enough ways to build uniquely as you go and also making allies that you don't have to be the same every time.

The most annoying parts for me are when I have multiple characters during a quest. I typically turn off freewill when I play The Sims normally, so letting them think for themselves can get on my nerves, though the AI is better than in many other games, it is helpful not to have all the pesky normal bars like social or bladder. It makes it more enjoyable to do quests.

Another thing, I LOVE that they kept the humor of the sims! I mean, I don't feel guilty sending people off to their death, the game keeps it light hearted most of the time even during srs bsns. I think it shows the staff can really write well, something we hardly see in the original sims style game unless you read, say, the description of furniture or something.

Sure it isn't perfect. I'd like more clothing options and more traits. I've had one broken quest and a few wtf moments, but if anything I get lost because I depend too much on the game to tell me who to talk to and what about, so when they don't, it takes me a moment to remember what my goal was.

All and all I love this game and I love the idea behind it. No this type of game won't replace The Sims, (people really think this could happen? lawl!) but it IS a good turn for all those horrid spin offs, so instead of controlling one sim we control the heros of a kingdom. It needs some work, sure, but I think it's such a better change of pace from the Urbz or whatever.

So people interested in the game, give it a try. Don't go in expecting anything (like the sims 3 or something, since it clearly was never meant to be THAT), just try it. You might like it for what it is.
#2catsimboyPosted 3/28/2011 2:16:45 PM
The main problem people have with this game is the ambitions. They just start your kingdom over and offer nothing new in return. You just gloss over it like

". I don't think restarting the kingdoms is so terrible (I have… three so far?). There are enough ways to build uniquely as you go and also making allies that you don't have to be the same every time. "

I don't think changing the order in which you place the pre-fab buildings can be considered unique. There are so many things they could've done to make each ambition new and exciting but they just put weak goals you have to reach and changed nothing. You may as well have just put the goals there yourself on a piece of paper tacked next to your monitor. I'm very forgiving with this game but the ambitions are just another example of developers being lazy or the game being rushed to release by the publisher.
---
I should not walk so a child may live.----http://www.spore.com/view/profile/Catsimboy
#3Izlude1984Posted 3/28/2011 2:29:55 PM
From what I understand, this game is like a good movie.

People hate it and people love it.

And I have a feeling I'll love it. I cant wait to get home and play it. And haters gonna hate. Its gamers man, freaking gamers. They got a bazzillion opinions on what is most best in games, and like game informer once said "They are an obnoxious volatile and often clueless demographic that will forever be IMPOSSIBLE to please."
---
PSN: izlude1984 <><><><> SSFIV Main: Cammy // Alt: Gouken (If I'm feeling sexy...)
http://img7.imageshack.us/img7/1470/kenflow.png
#4greyamalthea(Topic Creator)Posted 3/28/2011 2:40:59 PM
catsimboy posted...
The main problem people have with this game is the ambitions. They just start your kingdom over and offer nothing new in return. You just gloss over it like

". I don't think restarting the kingdoms is so terrible (I have… three so far?). There are enough ways to build uniquely as you go and also making allies that you don't have to be the same every time. "

I don't think changing the order in which you place the pre-fab buildings can be considered unique. There are so many things they could've done to make each ambition new and exciting but they just put weak goals you have to reach and changed nothing. You may as well have just put the goals there yourself on a piece of paper tacked next to your monitor. I'm very forgiving with this game but the ambitions are just another example of developers being lazy or the game being rushed to release by the publisher.

Hey that's fine, but I'm not displeased. This goes into the challenge aspect for me, I can delete all the premade housing items and make it my own. I can make the castle a hub for all my other heroes if I want. I can do the ambition with different KINDS of characters. The building isn't the point for me, really. It's my crazy people hating doctor in one game, or my foolish wizard in another. Or moving my spy up to being a monarch of another.

I guess re-playability is subjective, ya know?

---

Izlude1984 posted...
From what I understand, this game is like a good movie.

People hate it and people love it.

And I have a feeling I'll love it. I cant wait to get home and play it. And haters gonna hate. Its gamers man, freaking gamers. They got a bazzillion opinions on what is most best in games, and like game informer once said "They are an obnoxious volatile and often clueless demographic that will forever be IMPOSSIBLE to please."

True enough! There are so many different ways to play games, and people like so many different things, that this game feels like a good addition to the sims game. I also forgot to mention I hated building things in the Sims, I liked to put in items, so maybe that's why I like this game. Well that and enjoying my characters.

Though I will mention you shouldn't get too attached to too many characters a level, since you can only transfer one (I believe). Though there is always freeplay mode, (not that I enjoy that xD)

Good to see you'll give it a try!
#5FinalAresPosted 3/28/2011 2:44:13 PM
If you wanna build something, go play Minecraft.

That's what I'm doing. I built a buncha castles while you're complaining about not being able to. Huh.
#6KalphoenixPosted 3/28/2011 2:50:40 PM
There are things I like and things I dislike. Overall, I like the game and if it was a lower-priced game that did NOT have "The Sims" label on it, I would probably be less critical.

I still think it has increased promise of HUGE improvement in future expansions and patches...it's mostly a lot of little things for me, and not a lot of huge ones...but I also think, based on their track record with existing and former games, that there is very little chance that EA will strongly take the community's wants and suggestions into account and what you see is what you get. Period.

I don't HATE it, but there is a lot that takes away from the game for me, like the inability to do ANY building whatsoever (or even the ability to build before sticking someone in a structure and having to pay), and the fact that there is no carryover between kingdoms...so you loose any kinds of unlocks or achievements. Also that the game is VERY cheat/mod unfriendly...want to try something with a cheat code or modifier? Need to reset a sim stuck due to a bug? Too bad, you've just screwed your game progress and will have to start all over anyway. It doesn't have the friendly flexibility the other "sims" games have.
#7FinalAresPosted 3/28/2011 3:05:59 PM
Well Kalphoenix...

You're still going in expecting too much. You're expecting it to be a "The Sims" game. It's a spin-off and until it is treated as such, the expectations are going to be too high for the standard that the game sets.

You said it yourself, if it didn't have "The Sims" title, you wouldn't be abrasive towards it. You're setting your own expectations that are unfair for the standards of the game its self.

Furthermore, The reason EA doesn't bother to listen to the *****ing and complaining is because the majority of complaints are stupid or poorly thought out. It's like ANYONE with a decent head on their shoulder has said.

The gaming community is full of a bunch of degenerates who have a wide basis of differing opinions. There's absolutely no way they could possibly cater to that. The reason there is no "rights" for gamers is the same reason you have no rights on a forum or in a federal building. Or in my eff'n house. When you enter someone else' home or have something that was made by or belongs to someone else... you get what you get. They build the rules and set the standards. You gotta deal with it.

If you don't like the rules, get out of their home. Same thing applies here. Don't buy the game if you honestly don't like it or have ridiculous standards set for it based off of a different game.
#8greyamalthea(Topic Creator)Posted 3/28/2011 3:08:54 PM
Kalphoenix posted...
There are things I like and things I dislike. Overall, I like the game and if it was a lower-priced game that did NOT have "The Sims" label on it, I would probably be less critical.

I still think it has increased promise of HUGE improvement in future expansions and patches...it's mostly a lot of little things for me, and not a lot of huge ones...but I also think, based on their track record with existing and former games, that there is very little chance that EA will strongly take the community's wants and suggestions into account and what you see is what you get. Period.

I don't HATE it, but there is a lot that takes away from the game for me, like the inability to do ANY building whatsoever (or even the ability to build before sticking someone in a structure and having to pay), and the fact that there is no carryover between kingdoms...so you loose any kinds of unlocks or achievements. Also that the game is VERY cheat/mod unfriendly...want to try something with a cheat code or modifier? Need to reset a sim stuck due to a bug? Too bad, you've just screwed your game progress and will have to start all over anyway. It doesn't have the friendly flexibility the other "sims" games have.

I haven't used any cheats yet, so I can't say anything about that. As for EA, well, they are EA. No reason to go into that, I say. I DO know that it is a better spin-off from them than I have ever played before, despite the qualms. It's not that I ignore stuff like that, but it's like playing any other game, there are always things I don't like.

My point is that people here seem to have discounted anything about it and are discouraging people from buying it on the grounds of not being able to build or that it isn't a TS3. But it was never meant to be that, and the point of this game ISN'T building. So they are giving people the wrong idea about the game, I think.

It's like not playing Final Fantasy Tactics because battles aren't turn based, that's not the point and you'd miss out on a good game because of bias about the name. Or that Chocobo's Dungeon 2 game. Heck this is better than all those Wii sims games I have seen lately... I was just happy to have a non-kiddy version come out.
#9Izlude1984Posted 3/28/2011 4:14:18 PM
^ This man wins the topic for saying FFT is a great game.

Thank you sir.
---
PSN: izlude1984 <><><><> SSFIV Main: Cammy // Alt: Gouken (If I'm feeling sexy...)
http://img7.imageshack.us/img7/1470/kenflow.png
#10FinalAresPosted 3/28/2011 4:41:46 PM
Izlude1984 posted...
^ This man wins the topic for saying FFT is a great game.

Thank you sir.

Actually, Amalthea is a female poster, interestingly enough.

That aside, we thank you.

And yes, FFT is a fantastic game. Needs a proper sequel, yes.

I wish you were listening Square. We're still asking for it. And a proper remake as well, faulty coding is faulty.