Mods?

#1LeBurns63Posted 3/4/2011 7:57:55 AM
Will we be able to make and share player made items in this game? I see a lot of that stuff for The Sims games.
#2TheSocialBunnyPosted 3/5/2011 6:02:24 AM
Typically, it's only the main The Sims series that the The Sims modding community really tackles. That doesn't mean The Sims Medieval wouldn't get any unofficial mods, but I wouldn't hold my breath for anything substantial outside of game mechanic tweaks or custom re-skins unless the game really takes off.

Not much has been said either about how involved The Sims Exchange will be with The Sims Medieval either, or if there will even be a way of packaging up sims and objects to send to another player to begin with on the official side of the field. If the service is offered though, it would definitely be a big incentive for the creative players to take notice.

The Sims 3 was different than The Sims 2 in regards that it made adjusting certain game mechanics much easier due to using XML files, but cosmetic changes (ie. New Hair, objects, animation) was more difficult to properly do than The Sims 2. If The Sims Medieval uses the same hierarchy system, it is likely this trend will continue.
#3wanderzPosted 3/6/2011 7:55:01 PM
i don't know about mods.

but custom furnishings, clothes and such stuff similar to what's found for sims 3 on the sims exchange is pretty likely..

from the official site:
Furnish and design everything from your Sims humble abodes to their majestic throne rooms. Choose from a huge variety of medieval décor items and furniture, then mix and match colors and patterns with the amazing Create-a-Style tool.

lately ea seems to be on a you create it and share it kick.. spore's sporepedia, sims exchange, the flop of a game "create" so most likely.
---
i tried being serious once, in 1989.. didn't particularly care for it.. so don't expect it to happen again.
#4zarobaPosted 3/17/2011 5:09:09 PM
its a sims game.
its probably based on the same file system structure that sims 1, 2 and 3 were and thus will easily be moddable.

at least, i severely doubt a company would get rid of a long used and well tested successful file system and make something new.
---
ASUS p5n32-e, Q6600 @ 2.4ghz, 6gb ddr2, 3x 320gb sata seagate barracuda, 640mb 8800GTS
Vista Ultimate 64bit, 3x 120mm 3k rpm fans to keep it under 35C
#5abreenPosted 3/19/2011 5:13:44 PM
I highly doubt it that's why they didn't include the building tool because they want to keep it Medieval and a lot of people don't make "medieval" type stuff for sims to my knowledge anyways.
#6TarzantiPosted 3/21/2011 8:42:56 AM
The Sims Castaway Stories, out of the box, supported some Sims 2 mods. not intentionally- it's just because the game was made with The Sims 2 engine and a lot of it was identical. So you could copy over your mods folder and pretty much everything cosmetic (chairs, tables, stuff that didnt have new animations or interactions) would work just fine.

It's likely this will be the same.
---
http://img10.imageshack.us/img10/2092/sig1ew.jpg
Melanie Warn is the happiest person I have known.
#7James009Posted 3/22/2011 10:02:27 AM

Tarzanti posted...
The Sims Castaway Stories, out of the box, supported some Sims 2 mods. not intentionally- it's just because the game was made with The Sims 2 engine and a lot of it was identical. So you could copy over your mods folder and pretty much everything cosmetic (chairs, tables, stuff that didnt have new animations or interactions) would work just fine.

It's likely this will be the same.
---
http://img10.imageshack.us/img10/2092/sig1ew.jpg
Melanie Warn is the happiest person I have known.

Yes, many mods worked with Castaway. They werent initially perfect but did function. I figure a few core fans will probably/hopefully do a couple good mods for Medieval but we'll have to be patient. Probably won't be anything substantial anytime soon.

#8kztylePosted 3/30/2011 4:50:48 PM

oh yeah there's gonna be mods. someone on Mod The Sims forum has just successfully added a new quest template to the game. meaning with some more work - modders will be able to create custom quests! and these are new quests without replacing or deleting any original quests =D

and of course, there will be new furnitures, clothing, and all that. someone on MTS forum also successfully imported tilesets from The Sims 3 mods to Sims Medieval already.

so I imagine after a few months, Mod The Sims will be filled with mods to download =)

personally I cannot wait for new quest mods.

btw, someone earlier mentioned that only The Sims had a strong modding community. that's not true. if you look at Mod The Sims - there's just as many mods for The Sims 2 compare to the original Sims. even Sims 3 have like 50 pages of mods per category.

#9kztylePosted 3/30/2011 4:53:50 PM

correction, sorry I read it wrong.TheSocialBunnysaid only the main Sims series. I was thinking only the first Sims.

anyways, I can see how there's going to be lots of quest mods coming in the future because it's just gonna be so much fun to create your own little stories!

#10catsimboyPosted 3/30/2011 8:17:13 PM
kztyle posted...
correction, sorry I read it wrong.TheSocialBunnysaid only the main Sims series. I was thinking only the first Sims.anyways, I can see how there's going to be lots of quest mods coming in the future because it's just gonna be so much fun to create your own little stories!

I'm surprised they didn't make create-and-share quests as part of their main selling point. The way the quests are set up in Medieval it seems like it would be pretty easy to make a tool for making quests.
---
I should not walk so a child may live.----http://www.spore.com/view/profile/Catsimboy