Is this better than Grid?

#1jackacidPosted 4/18/2011 11:39:52 AM
I liked Shift 1 OK, never bought it, but didn't hate it.

I just got a wheel and am thinking about getting this, but debating on my timing.

My favorite racing games are (in no order): Burnout Revenge, Forza series, NFS Hot Pursuit, GRID, Dirt 1 & 2 and F1 2010 (huge Codemasters fan).

Is this comparable to GRID? Similar style (somewhere between sim/arcade)? How is the career mode?

Thanks.
---
Fanboys are weak. Just shut up and play.
#2ZendosKenPosted 4/18/2011 2:54:10 PM
i come from a background of split second, blur, NFS undercover and a few others..not sure about grid but i do like alot of this game feeling. very realistic although the settings needs some immediate attention once you start playing..but overall, fun and challenging.

get it if you like a good challenge!
#3nandsheinPosted 4/18/2011 3:37:51 PM
Tough call. I LOVE Grid to no end. To me it can be driving escstacy. It is arcadey but perfectly predictable and the gameplay is silky smooth. LOVE that game. I REALLY like this game. It has a steep adjustment (not learning) curve, whereas Grid was easier to pick up and play. This game has much better graphics than Grid and it track list is second to none. I would kill to have the Grid cars and Grid "feel" on Shift2ís tracks. To me, that would be racing utopia. In short, I do not think it is better but I do think that on average it is just as good if not a bit better. Depends on what you're looking for.
#4Frisco557Posted 4/18/2011 6:08:19 PM

Tough call. I LOVE Grid to no end. To me it can be driving escstacy. It is arcadey but perfectly predictable and the gameplay is silky smooth. LOVE that game. I REALLY like this game. It has a steep adjustment (not learning) curve, whereas Grid was easier to pick up and play. This game has much better graphics than Grid and it track list is second to none. I would kill to have the Grid cars and Grid "feel" on Shift2ís tracks. To me, that would be racing utopia. In short, I do not think it is better but I do think that on average it is just as good if not a bit better. Depends on what you're looking for.

Pretty good explanation. I personally prefer Grid, but the customization(which isn't as good as Forza) and the xp system is pretty fun.
---
Any comments relating to TDU2 are from others' on the 360 board or my own experience with the PC version.
Added for Guybrush's sake.
#5Dominus-NoxPosted 4/18/2011 10:13:13 PM
GRID drifting defecates all over SHIFT 2 drifting. Race gameplay.......hummm. GRID is infinitely more playable, but S2U is more rewarding, and has better details. And using your own custom car is so much better.

GRID leans slightly more to arcade, but doesn't have as many gameplay flaws. Plus the make your own livery was really cool.

S2U leans slightly more to sim, but the default controls suck, and it can be incredibly frustrating and inconsistent, but has a LOT more depth, and is strangely addictive despite the flaws.

I loooove GRID, and I keep coming back to S2U, so I would recommend it, but maybe try before you buy.

And as nandshein has said, combine the best of GRID with the best of S2U and you would have an awesome racer
#6jackacid(Topic Creator)Posted 4/19/2011 9:31:57 AM
Excellent thanks all. I will definitely check it out.

How is the career mode in Shift 2?
---
#7jackacid(Topic Creator)Posted 4/19/2011 9:35:49 AM
As a PS - I LOVE difficult, steep learning curve games.

It's basically why I haven't put down F1 since I bought it a month ago...that game will challenge your soul.
---
#8Frisco557Posted 4/19/2011 11:22:38 AM

It's basically why I haven't put down F1 since I bought it a month ago...that game will challenge your soul.

Its challenging, but I think its quite dull once you've done a season since it just repeats the schedule and you have to get some of the same upgrades again(though it might be different once you sign with a better team.
---
Any comments relating to TDU2 are from others' on the 360 board or my own experience with the PC version.
Added for Guybrush's sake.
#9jackacid(Topic Creator)Posted 4/19/2011 11:27:53 AM
Thanks Frisco, but it hasn't gotten dull for me, I just started Season 3. Mainly because I aim to master the tracks and do so only in Career (I don't bother with TT or GP modes.)

And because it might take me 2-2.5 hours (real time) from the start of a practice to finish a race, it takes me quite a while to get back to any single track.

I think because of this playing cycle and because of my devotion to learn, it never gets old. Plus, yes, changing teams helps because you have to get to know the car all over again and it can take several races or sessions to iron it out.

It is NOT for a casual gamer who just wants to get in a couple laps for the fun of it. There's plenty of other great racers for that. F1 isn't one of them, too demanding.
---