is this game doom if it doesn't come out before D3?

#1doe3879Posted 3/10/2012 1:01:36 AM
Runic Games does deserve some love
but I'll probably have my fill with enough isometric clicking after D3
---
Star Ocean: Till the End of Time Guide
"To move forward, talk to everyone in town..AND I MEAN EVERYONE"
#2Wula_Posted 3/11/2012 12:31:15 PM

After all the BS activision/blizard has delivered on Diablo 3. Me and several friends swore to not buy, or waste our time pirating that. And instead paly a game made with love for the friends. So I wouldn't be surprised if quite a few other inteligent gamers did the same. Because Torchlight 2 looks more like what Diablo 3 should have been. And I am willing to buy Torchlight 2 day one.

#3Xero KaiserPosted 3/11/2012 4:41:55 PM
Doomed? Nah, it's not like they need to move 5 million copies of T2.

Still, I do think they missed a huge window of opportunity with the last delay. But if it needed to be done, it needed to be done.
#4TheDoctorIslnPosted 3/11/2012 5:03:30 PM
Wula_ posted...
After all the BS activision/blizard has delivered on Diablo 3. Me and several friends swore to not buy, or waste our time pirating that. And instead paly a game made with love for the friends. So I wouldn't be surprised if quite a few other inteligent gamers did the same. Because Torchlight 2 looks more like what Diablo 3 should have been. And I am willing to buy Torchlight 2 day one.

The BS that Blizzard did was make Diablo 3 impossible to pirate mirite?
#5hock3yPosted 3/11/2012 8:56:45 PM

Nah, it wasn't going to be a huge volume seller anyways. D3 is going to sell a ton of copies based on it's name alone, whether TL2 came out before or after.

I do agree they may be missing an opportunity by delaying, and it's obvious that Blizzard is looking to push out D3 now to be the first. I'll probably still check out both games.

#6OmegaDL50Posted 3/12/2012 6:09:06 PM(edited)

Wula_ posted...

They tried the same with Starcraft II and it didn't work, Diablo 3 won't be any different.

As for Diablo III selling on it's name, sure that's pretty much a given. The lack of Blizzard North's (i.e Runic Games) involvement in D3's development however does not instill confidence on the game living up to it's predecessors. With that said, a name isn't always everything. I'm sure Diablo III will sell tons, but Activision marketing the game as an MMO rather then Single Player / Multiplayer experience like the previous games in the series does make me jump to get the game.

I'll pick up both, but I'll more likely pick up Torchlight II first due to it's reasonable pricing and lack of need to be online at all times to just play it.
---
The amount of people on GameFAQ's that validate the reason the quote in my profile exists - 285
#7MarikhenPosted 3/12/2012 9:01:38 PM
TheDoctorIsln posted...

Seeing as how there are already a few pirate teams at work on private server emulators for Diablo 3 and that some are far enough along to allow for limited play I think the answer to that is, "No."

/shrugs. It's a nice thought, but "impossible to pirate" is completely inaccurate.
---
Stop complaining. I could have done this more painfully. - Dryad from Sacred 2.
#8FakeTJPosted 3/14/2012 9:18:53 AM
I don't care what Runic says I do think D3's release will hurt sales of TL2. I'm fairly fed up with D3's development at this point. TL2 looks to be more traditional for the genre. So, for my money TL2 looks more entertaining. I don't think that is going to be a big factor with the general public though. D3 has name recognition. TL2 could have stolen some thunder when D3 got delayed, but head to head the general public probably won't even notice TL2.
#9zavlinzPosted 3/15/2012 10:26:13 AM
The first torchlight created alot of lofty expectations. Expectations that it would turn into a series that could rival and surpass the diablo 2 experience. But i think the developers have made it clear thats not their goal. Without ladders and closed servers the game shouldnt even be seen as a competitor to d3. People who want community play will play diablo, people who want singplayer plus a few friends can play torchlight.
#10MarikhenPosted 3/15/2012 7:53:59 PM
zavlinz posted...
The first torchlight created alot of lofty expectations. Expectations that it would turn into a series that could rival and surpass the diablo 2 experience. But i think the developers have made it clear thats not their goal. Without ladders and closed servers the game shouldnt even be seen as a competitor to d3. People who want community play will play diablo, people who want singplayer plus a few friends can play torchlight.

Here's the thing though. While Runic may not want to support closed/dedicated servers there might be fans who do, and Runic's stance is that they can if they want to. To clarify there are statements on the forums to the effect of, "You bought the binary, do with it as you will." That means that if someone wants to reverse engineer it and come up with a closed/dedicated server mod they legally have, or at least based on the public statements should have, that option.

Folks already went ahead and mocked up a multi-player mod for Torchlight and probably got further along with it than the developers thought would be possible so I see no reason why it's not possible to see people modifying the base client to make a dedicated host environment. For that matter if that turns out to be possible they could probably come up with a way to lift the cap on maximum players and turn it into a quasi-MMO server.

Of course if someone managed to do that and it was a fully functional environment it wouldn't surprise me if someone from Runic contacted them with a job offer given that the eventual goal of the Torchlight project is to make an MMO.
---
Stop complaining. I could have done this more painfully. - Dryad from Sacred 2.