Can we respec?

#41EvilCactusPosted 9/20/2012 6:01:57 PM
ZarethKnyght posted...

Edit: Borderlands 2 is NOT an RPG of any kind. It's an FPS.

By that logic, Torchlight II isn't an RPG of any kind, either. It's a hack and slash action game.
---
sig here
#42EnjoyMePosted 9/20/2012 7:19:24 PM
Darkfyr posted...
The main argument I see here in opposition to full respecing is that full respecing takes away the importance of skill choices since you can change them whenever you want.

This is incorrect. Unlike D3's skill system where the only time you couldn't replace skills was during cooldown, a proper full respec mechanic is extremely costly (depending on the amount of skills refunded) and can only be done in town. The more important factor here is the cost to respec, which takes funds away from pots, equipment, etc.

With this difference, thinking about your skill choices is still important due to the desire to not waste money. And if you do decide to respec, the importance of getting it right the second time around is two fold because usually the cost goes up with each respec.

Good point. Respecs could/should be in, but with a hefty cost. Would make both sides happy.
---
[E[]V[]e *also responds to Santana*
#43Marioface5Posted 9/20/2012 8:46:47 PM
ZarethKnyght posted...

Edit: Borderlands 2 is NOT an RPG of any kind. It's an FPS.

Experience points with level gain? Check.
Skill trees that change your stats and give you new abilities? Check.
Randomized loot of White, Green, Blue, Purple, and Orange rarities? Check.

It's just as much of an RPG as Torchlight 2 is.
---
The world gets weirder every day.
PSN: Marioface5
#44Robtcee13Posted 9/20/2012 8:49:11 PM
Would this be a reasonable compromise?

Full skill respec
Cost: -2 levels, -2 fame levels, -4 skill points, all other skill points refunded.

Without an extremely hefty cost, it shouldn't be in the game. Otherwise, there may as well not even be skill points in the first place.
---
If you think my name is silly, you should call me either Rob or LaughingThesaurus.
No need for being strictly formal on a message board, right?
#45brisashiPosted 9/20/2012 8:50:03 PM
I think the system from TL1 was perfect.

There are respec potions but you only get one for free and the rest are expensive.
---
A wizard did it.
#46IcewitchPosted 9/20/2012 8:56:22 PM
TL2's respec option is already lenient enough. If a 10 level grace period and being able to undo the last 3 skills at any time isn't enough for you might I suggest playing WoW or D3 or some other casual game.
---
Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate
Coming March 2013 to Nintendo 3DS and Nintendo Wii U
#47NogahamPosted 9/20/2012 9:03:39 PM
Okay guys this is just going in circles here. Let's just wait for the mods to come and then everyone plays the game the way they want.
#48RieversPosted 9/20/2012 9:13:48 PM
Personally I think the system in place works fine, but I'm als ofairly meticiouls about hwat I want and have a good idea of what my character will look like when hes maxed out

When mod tools are released, I'm sure there will be a full respec mod available to those who want it, I could care less if Runic themselves add it into the base game (although they may release the mod themselves.) but I kind of doubt it.

They want you to make lots of characters and different variations.
#49brisashiPosted 9/21/2012 12:41:23 AM
Icewitch posted...
TL2's respec option is already lenient enough. If a 10 level grace period and being able to undo the last 3 skills at any time isn't enough for you might I suggest playing WoW or D3 or some other casual game.

You are confusing casual with accessible. They are not the same.
---
A wizard did it.
#50SilvasRuinPosted 9/21/2012 1:13:19 AM
Robtcee13 posted...
... and nothing is ever useless, particularly when you have difficulty settings to play with to drop your difficulty level down when your build goes wrong.
...but I really doubt it will anyway. Will the game seriously be designed like Diablo 2 was, with enemies outright immune to certain attack types? You want a new playstyle, you start a new character. if you screw up your build somehow, then you're probably not playing Torchlight 2.

Not saying it's Runic's fault, (because it isn't, I should have known better than to narrow my options so severely) but Mordrox and Poison Wand Outlanders would like to have a word with you.