Staff Vs. Wands?

#1thbanditPosted 9/21/2012 9:21:19 PM
Like the topic asks what's better for a ember mage staff or wand? I just read that Staff mastery works with all skills that base damage of weapon dps when a Staff is equipped.
---
Don't cross me.
#2WynnSilvergazePosted 9/21/2012 9:34:44 PM
That's true.

But there's a tome spell that improves damage for dual wielding, so dual wielding wands with Wand Chaos and Ice/Fire/Lightning Brand can be pretty good also. since Wand Chaos will go off when you use the spammable spells.
---
I may look calm...but in my head I've killed you 3 times
http://oi51.tinypic.com/118eyp1.jpg <--if CoD was like D&D
#3thbandit(Topic Creator)Posted 9/21/2012 9:38:34 PM
That's what I'm kind of doing now. I think I'm going to stick with that. I always enjoyed dual wielding wands in torchlight. I also really like the random meteors and bats and what not that comes from wand chaos. But is putting more than one skill point into a good idea?
---
Don't cross me.
#4WynnSilvergazePosted 9/21/2012 9:39:44 PM
Well, it makes it go off more. but i seem to get it a lot even at just 8%
---
I may look calm...but in my head I've killed you 3 times
http://oi51.tinypic.com/118eyp1.jpg <--if CoD was like D&D
#5Witch ElfPosted 9/21/2012 10:15:44 PM
They're both viable.

Staff Mastery may have the technical edge, since the debuff is really nice, I believe it stacks, and you can debuff the enemy even further (such as with firestorm). Add to that all the ways you can supercharge your elemental spells and you can really lay the smack down on some bosses.

On the other hand, staves themselves kinda suck hard (stupid melee) and dual wands just looks badass.
---
"Aw, what did they do to Jenny?" - The Darkness
#6Lost7thPosted 9/26/2012 8:41:57 AM
Staffs are for badass wizards like Gandalf

Wands are for bratty Harry Potter kids
---
Dremcast games that still need HD: Power Stone, Shenmue Project Justice, Grandia 2, Skies of Arcadia, PSO
#7Snow_Crash_Posted 9/26/2012 8:43:12 AM
Why would a ranged class want to use a melee weapon? For that matter why are Staffs melee in the first place?
---
"There is not enough faith in the world to make people love each other - only enough to make them hate each other." Louis Cypher
#8AtelierCorvusPosted 9/26/2012 8:54:04 AM(edited)
One thing I've found the wand exceptionally useful for is generating that last bit of charge to activate your infinite mana thing when your MP is out. I mean, yeah you could chug a potion but that would be wasteful when you're two wand shots away from going super-sayian. With a staff you have to close in and find something to smack (and hope it doesn't smack you back in the process)

Then again, once you've got like 7-8 points into charge mastery it's not hard to fill the charge meter before zeroing out your MP.

Aside from that. Since most spells are based on right-hand weapon DPS. Staves would probably give you more bang for your buck for your level. Though if you one-hand a wand you can carry a shield in your offhand to further reduce your squishiness.
#9MarikhenPosted 9/26/2012 8:55:32 AM
Snow_Crash_ posted...
Why would a ranged class want to use a melee weapon? For that matter why are Staffs melee in the first place?

No matter how good you are something will always get close to you. At that point it's nice to have a good stick to poke them with. It teaches them their place in the grand scheme of things.
---
Stop complaining. I could have done this more painfully. - Dryad from Sacred 2.
#10voldothegr8Posted 9/26/2012 9:20:14 AM
Dual wielding with wand chaos+magma spear is freaking sweet.

On the other hand, the debuff you get with staff mastery is pretty damn useful as well. It's all up to your preference really.
---
Cincinnati Reds: 92-60 NLC clinched. Oakland Raiders: 1-2
Oda break tracker 2012- 5