A question to mages with blazing pillar

#1iddZk33pPosted 9/25/2012 9:51:00 AM
How do you like the skill? It seems like I'd be better off continuing casting magma spear instead of taking the time to cast pillars and go back to casting spear. I haven't invested heavily into pillars (3 so I can respec out of it) so that might be why I don't find it too useful. Are pillars worth getting later on?
#2White_QueenPosted 9/25/2012 6:22:30 PM
I've tried it out, and what i've found that it's really good for building your arcane focus meter. I think the point of the spell is to help you build up your meter faster so that you can go on a casting frenzy, and not so much as a primary DPS spell. The damage is only so-so, unless all of the pillars converge on a single enemy, but usually it takes too long for all of them to move towards one spot, and the pillars only last for like 8 seconds or so.
#3ragedemonzPosted 9/25/2012 8:13:58 PM
I thought about using them but am sticking with Magma Spear. I think it's a wash though. I try to use at most 2 spells to tab and maybe one more if I need to just out of laze.
---
It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye, then it's a scavenger hunt.
LoL - Poisodon PSN: Lowthingy
#4BladenytePosted 9/25/2012 8:20:40 PM
you do know you can put skills on your hotkey bar, right? so you dont have to switch between them at all if you dont want.

for instance, i have blazing pillar on 1 and that frost teleport on 2. so i have easy access to them without needing to skill swap my rmb at all
---
PSN ID: Riftweaver81
I cannot be caged. I cannot be controlled. Understand this as you die, ever pathetic, ever fools-Jon Irenicus BG2
#5Slyster1181Posted 9/25/2012 9:32:41 PM
Hardly any spells are worth getting outside of the first one in each tree. The only one I can think of anyone should get outside of this would be the teleport in the frost tree. Just put some points into the charge passive and you will have full charge most of the time ( I have 6 point in it and never drop below 50% mana ).

I was really looking forward to using that lightning orb spell but it turns out that it is terrible when compared to Prismatic Bolt even at 10 points.
#6AlmightyHamSandwichPosted 9/25/2012 10:21:01 PM
What? Thunder Locus is amazing at crowd control. Even at Tier 1, I'm very rarely accosted by more than 1 or 2 enemies at a time. My primary strategy in fights is to drop Thunder Locus ahead of me and then stand back throwing Prismatic Bolt and Arc Lasering everything else that gets close. It's got absurd duration, damage and AoE.

Also, I'm on Veteran.
---
Miami Heat: 2012 NBA Champions | Torchlight 2: AlmightyHamSandwich
I'm a TWSSted bastard.
#7Slyster1181Posted 9/25/2012 10:48:53 PM
I am not talking about that one .. The one I am talking about is the last lightning spell you get.

And if you are needing to use anything besides prismatic bolt then you are doing something wrong.
#8MunchkinatorPosted 9/25/2012 10:57:01 PM
Slyster1181 posted...
Hardly any spells are worth getting outside of the first one in each tree.

....What drugs are you on, and where can I get some?

Look. I get it, you think Pbolt spam is the best possible build, and it IS good damage and you're welcome to your delusions, but don't try to vomit them up onto other people.

Elemental Boon and Death's Bounty are nearly universally useful spells. Thunder Locus is amazing in any build - it's essentially massive free damage in an aoe, GREAT for bosses. Ice Prison is incredibly useful for being the only CC that actually works (consistently) on bosses, and good on superfast enemies and vs archers in general - archers in elite NG++ WILL oneshot you eventually, and they WILL eventually hit you especially in crowded fights, so ice prison can be a great buffer against that.

And those are just the utility spells! Frost Wave is devastatingly powerful once you hit tier 1 bonus, Hailstorm is completely absurd for any builds that don't rely on Staff Mastery and offers enough - and strong enough - CC that it's amazing for those too.

etc etc honestly I don't feel like explaining that other spells are awesome too but go ahead with your one-button Baby's First Embermage build
---
Wherever Poppy is, you want to be away from that side of the map - Guardsman Bob
#9random_noobiePosted 9/25/2012 11:11:28 PM
Slyster1181 posted...
I am not talking about that one .. The one I am talking about is the last lightning spell you get.

And if you are needing to use anything besides prismatic bolt then you are doing something wrong.

shocking orb gets better with more points in it and a good weapon, but early on, its atrocious.

and yes, pristmatic bolt is awesome and everything, but its ****ing boring.

i'll stick with frost wave/hailstorm/thunder locus.

aw yeah.
---
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." - Albert Einstein
LoL IGN: nvmvoidrays
#10iddZk33p(Topic Creator)Posted 9/26/2012 12:21:23 AM
I ended up skipping pillars because I found myself preferring continuing casting magma spear instead of casting pillars whenever it was up. I'll probably look into ice prison instead, especially because I have hard times vs archers and CC vs bosses could prove to be a better dps boost (less kiting) than having a secondary dps ability.

...I love how you can build in many different ways and be successful :D