Socketables [Clarification,please]

#1AerendirPosted 10/1/2012 10:41:35 PM(edited)
Hi,i'd like to know if the various uniques skulls and others socketables are just world drop?
I mean,aside from the specific ones dropped by each boss,like the Manaforge Eye and so on,the others could be dropped by any boss,purple boss or .....

Thanks in advance.
#2y3kmanPosted 10/1/2012 10:54:01 PM
The unique socketables are dropped by specific enemies (bosses). There's also a unique one you could get as a quest reward.

The rest are dropped by normal monsters or bought from the merchant. You can also transmute 4 socketables to change it to one rare. Take note that unique socketables get "downgraded" to a rare transmuted.
---
3DS Friend Code: 3179-6997-7741
Currently playing: Torchlight 2
#3SomehowSauPosted 10/1/2012 11:15:33 PM
You can also find them in chests.
#4the_rowanPosted 10/1/2012 11:20:33 PM
It's only three socketables to make a rare, actually. Blue rarity, with stuff like crit bonuses, potion effectiveness, and HP regen, not the amazing stuff uniques have like universal damage reduction and massive stat boosts.

As mentioned, unique socketables are basically either boss-specific or just random drops from monsters in their level range. You either farm the right boss or you grind maps from the mapworks post-game, generally.

As a side note, I was VERY pissed at the game for telling me to just socket my crappy gems into my crappy items early on because you could no longer improve them by transmutation, when that is not even remotely true. Especially when the first gem I got this way gave 4% crit.
---
"That is why war is so tragic. To win means to make victims of your opponents and give birth to hatred." - Kratos Aurion, Tales of Symphonia
#5y3kmanPosted 10/1/2012 11:46:31 PM
Oh, right, it's only 3 for a rare socketable. Got it mixed it up with 4 unique = 1 new random unique.
---
3DS Friend Code: 3179-6997-7741
Currently playing: Torchlight 2
#6Aerendir(Topic Creator)Posted 10/2/2012 12:48:54 AM
the_rowan posted...
It's only three socketables to make a rare, actually. Blue rarity, with stuff like crit bonuses, potion effectiveness, and HP regen, not the amazing stuff uniques have like universal damage reduction and massive stat boosts.

As mentioned, unique socketables are basically either boss-specific or just random drops from monsters in their level range. You either farm the right boss or you grind maps from the mapworks post-game, generally.

As a side note, I was VERY pissed at the game for telling me to just socket my crappy gems into my crappy items early on because you could no longer improve them by transmutation, when that is not even remotely true. Especially when the first gem I got this way gave 4% crit.

Ok thanks to all fo you for the information basically the way to go is to go Mapworks with the right level range? And cross your fingers XD.
#7pvdmikePosted 10/2/2012 4:48:37 AM
the_rowan posted...

Damn....I didn't even know this! So you can transmute in this game? Thanks for the heads up. I already wasted so many gems because it tells you to just use them. That is pretty sh**ty.
#8Mac13ethPosted 10/2/2012 5:33:33 AM
The ability to upgrade socketables is nothing like it was in TL1. If you put in 3 level 8 socketables, you will get back a level 8 socketable, it will just be rare instead of whatever you put in. Mixing levels will result in a rare of the lowest level present. Putting in 3 rare socketables still just gets one rare socketable. The best use of gems you don't want is to add sockets to items you do want (2 gems and one item of a level lower than the gems).
---
Sometimes I think I have gone mad, other times I just wish I had.
#9PhadinPosted 10/2/2012 5:44:10 AM
Mac13eth posted...
The ability to upgrade socketables is nothing like it was in TL1. If you put in 3 level 8 socketables, you will get back a level 8 socketable, it will just be rare instead of whatever you put in. Mixing levels will result in a rare of the lowest level present. Putting in 3 rare socketables still just gets one rare socketable. The best use of gems you don't want is to add sockets to items you do want (2 gems and one item of a level lower than the gems).

Even adding sockets has it's limitations though. the gems have to be equal or higher level then the item your adding sockets to, or it won't. Ultimately, the game is correct in saying that you should just blow your low level gems because you won't be able to use them to socket higher level items and you can' get good high level gems out of them.
#10Chaotic_AnarkiPosted 10/2/2012 5:53:14 AM
Phadin posted...
Mac13eth posted...

Even adding sockets has it's limitations though. the gems have to be equal or higher level then the item your adding sockets to, or it won't. Ultimately, the game is correct in saying that you should just blow your low level gems because you won't be able to use them to socket higher level items and you can' get good high level gems out of them.

The game tells you to blow your low level gems specifically for the reason that you cannot collect a mass amount and then combine them all to make a bunch of better ones. What you are saying is false, because you can socket higher level items with lower levels gems, what you can't do is socket higher level gems into lower level items. If a gem is too high level, it won't socket into a low level item, but the reverse is not true.
---
Rule 1. I am always right.
Rule 2. If in any case I appear wrong, refer to rule 1.