Amy idea of Runic plans to make an expansion to this game later down the road?

#11naughtydog2kO3(Topic Creator)Posted 10/4/2012 1:31:35 AM
Just like Torchlight 1, most content added to the game will mostly be mod-like add-ons.

Do understand that the modding tools being released for Torchlight II are the very same tools the developers used to make the game.

So whether additional content is released in the form of mods released from the devs themselves or large content packs, what difference does it make.

More content IS more content, anything else would be arguing semantics.

So you're saying that the modding community can make a whole new act and add their own personal story in it with a possibly new class and such?
---
XBL: naughtydog2k03
PSN: naughtydog2k03
#12OmegaDL50Posted 10/4/2012 1:44:51 AM
It was possible in Torchlight 1, One could add entirely new environments / dungeons, enemies, and even character classes, even quests, and there many mods on RGF that already exist that do these things.

The editor in TL2 is supposedly even more advanced then the one for TL1, so that would mean even more flexibility and control over the game.

It's not much different then the Elderscrolls construction set with user made content in games such as Skyrim, Oblivion, Fallout.

The real question is how many people will dedicate enough time to churn out some quality content, also if the editor itself is easy to use and isn't very convoluted / complicated.

I plan to take a crack at it myself once it's released. I'm sure some of the new content Runic releases for TL2 will be done in the form of a official patch (They did this with TL1 such as the Ferret Pet added in patch v1.15)

Of course there was also "official mods" Runic released such as the Respec Potion, Bee Swarm Spell, and few others such as a couple weapon packs.

An additional act or two, is most certainly feasible.
---
A fan is confident in the game they prefer being able to stand on its own merits.
A fanatic attacks the opposing game showing insecurity in the game they like.
#13ActionButlerPosted 10/4/2012 5:10:27 AM
It is highly unlikely.

Runic is going to give us the the tools to create additions to the game in a month, so most of our new content will be created by the community. If some of the most popular mods from TL1 are any indication, there will be a metric ton of high-quality content to choose from.
#14naughtydog2kO3(Topic Creator)Posted 10/4/2012 5:19:26 AM
It is highly unlikely.

Runic is going to give us the the tools to create additions to the game in a month, so most of our new content will be created by the community. If some of the most popular mods from TL1 are any indication, there will be a metric ton of high-quality content to choose from.

Kind of sucks, I usually don't like mods, usually avoided them when it comes to online games, I guess i shouldn't have spend the $20 on this game but waited for a price drop...oh well....
---
#15NipponIchiPosted 10/4/2012 5:31:59 AM
Is there any legitimate reason you have for not liking mods? Torchlight 1's best gameplay was from mods. Diablo 2 is a lot of fun if not more fun with mods also.
#16naughtydog2kO3(Topic Creator)Posted 10/4/2012 5:34:17 AM
Is there any legitimate reason you have for not liking mods? Torchlight 1's best gameplay was from mods. Diablo 2 is a lot of fun if not more fun with mods also.

Just most of them just plain sucks, I usually like to play the game as it was meant to be played by the original creators, I'm just that kind of guy that likes playing the game as it was meant to be played without changing the gameplay or anything by the mods, but whatever, that's just my opinion..
---
#17ZexxCrinePosted 10/4/2012 6:36:04 AM
naughtydog2kO3 posted...

Just most of them just plain sucks, I usually like to play the game as it was meant to be played by the original creators, I'm just that kind of guy that likes playing the game as it was meant to be played without changing the gameplay or anything by the mods, but whatever, that's just my opinion..

You do know that the developers intended you to play with mods right? They are releasing the tools and they planned on doing that day one. If that isn't enough for you, the game actually has 2-3 achievements for running multiple mods while playing.

You also realize that mods open up the ability for new skills, classes, items, and levels. Mods are modifications not instant make the game boring because you have maxed stats. Can mods fo that? Yes they can, but that isn't the main reason why people want mod support.
#18ThundercleesePosted 10/4/2012 7:06:04 AM
ZexxCrine posted...
naughtydog2kO3 posted...

You do know that the developers intended you to play with mods right? They are releasing the tools and they planned on doing that day one. If that isn't enough for you, the game actually has 2-3 achievements for running multiple mods while playing.

You also realize that mods open up the ability for new skills, classes, items, and levels. Mods are modifications not instant make the game boring because you have maxed stats. Can mods fo that? Yes they can, but that isn't the main reason why people want mod support.

Can't speak for anyone else, but I find the problem with mods as a means of adding content is the general quality of it. In Diablo 2 for example, I tried several of the top rated mods, and they just were not appealing to me. They were interesting for a brief moment to see how things changed, but I quickly lost interest. There were always some balancing issues I found, and I could never get away from the feeling that they were ultimately cheap, untested, and not thoroughly well thought-out compared to a top quality professional product.

Pro-mod gamers usually respond to the above with, "Oh, you just didn't try the RIGHT mods", but this pattern always repeats when I've tried mods or new user maps in any game, even the supposed best mods. Mod communities add new content in quantity, but rarely in quality IMO. Even when you take the time to hunt for the best ones, they still end up falling flat for me in almost every instance, and just can't match original content by the professional development team.

In the end, it's just a waste of time for me, and I I just skip the mods altogether.
---
Don't think of it as deferred gratification. Think of it as immediate suffering. - Peter Bellamy
#19John_DanePosted 10/4/2012 7:17:40 AM
I'd rather have at least 1 official expansion. Mods are really hit or miss for me in games. A few I've played (namely for the Infinity Engine games, and also Temple of Elemental Evil) come off as really, really well done. I'd even call them necessary. But for some reason I'm finding it hard to imagine someone modding this game without breaking it, either in setting or in gameplay. Luckily mods are optional and probably won't be considered "upgrades", except for the inevitable one or two really high quality mods that'll get released.
#20MSIMagusPosted 10/4/2012 8:04:46 AM
I bet they just let mods do the job as others have said. I would love an official expansion with another 30 levels or so and some new stuff but I doubt we get that.

My personal hope is that they just start work on the TL MMO. They said in interviews a year or two ago that TL1 was seen as a big demo to pay for TL2 which is a big demo for a TL MMO. I am not a big MMO kind of guy, but I think a Diablo/TL style MMO could be really fun as long as they keep the heart of the game the same and dont force us to play with others(or slow the grind to a horrid degree).
---
Government is the enemy, until you need a friend - Bill Cohen
Tea baggers keep saying they want their country back, well I say I want mine forward - Bill Maher