Skills to make engineer class fun to play

#1FayjitPosted 10/3/2012 7:48:38 PM
I'm playing as a outlander and I got a mix of skills that make it fun to play. My bro however playing as a engineer is mainly using passive skills and robots. What are some good combo skills that work and also make engineers fun to play.
#2anothermaverickPosted 10/3/2012 8:53:31 PM
TBH it really depends on your play style. What is your difficulty level? If ELITE Max force field and some skill for quick charging charge skills. Healbot is eng must Max skill. Fire and spark is good for any elemental base skill.

Now, if you like to get close and personal, get onslaught and seismic slam. However maxing is not recommended if you go pure attack. Spellcaster eng rather Max emberquake for that insane damage. Physical attack eng max flame hammer is beter.

I'm not too sure about range eng style, so I can't help you there.

Damn, typing in phone is difficult and tedious.
---
Life Is Tough,
But Im Tougher!
#3Jiga35Posted 10/3/2012 9:04:24 PM
I use a sword and board engi who specializes in elemental damage.

I use healbot, force field, onslaught, seismic slam, 1 point in ember hammer for shield breaking, ember quake, spider mines, dynamo, fire bash, passive are elemental dmage increase and possibility for fully charging bar instantly. I think that's all of them.
---
There is a no more intolerant lot on earth than those who ramble on the most about tolerance. In the name of tolerance they have become the most intolerant.
#4anothermaverickPosted 10/4/2012 3:25:47 AM
You still did not tell me your difficulty yet. If in elite you need to add survivability skills too. If you go elemental Engineer, imo:

Stats: Max Foc as high as heavenly possible, it increases your spell damage. any other stats is up to your liking.

Equipment: If you go 1h/shield get a Decent DPS with Very VERY FAST ATTACK SPEED. I will explain the reason below.

Skills:
1) Shield and Board, Fire and Spark, and Emberquake - MAX! DPS skills
2) Forcefiels, Dynamo / Shield bash, Healbot - MAX! Charge and Tank skills
3) Charge reconstitution, Onslaught/Storm Burst, Seismic slam, Ember hammer, Supercharge - 1 point wonder skill.

Thats pretty much set you to tank and deal high dps. Your combo is Onslaught/Storm > Seismic slam > Emberquake OR Dynamo - Forcefield. Rinse and repeat.

REASONING:
Emberquake factors in fire and spark, sword and board and focus (DPS is a factor). Sword and board is a special case, why get a fast attack speed weapon?

Because for example:

100 armor with 90% to attack is 90 Damage. If you attack with 1 sec weapon your dps added 90. But if you got 0.5 sec attack speed your dps added is 180 (!!). It helps immensely.

ONSLAUGHT/ STORM BURST:
Your personal preference, you need some escape/ charge in skills so either is fine, thought unmax storm burst is 2 sec CD, very annoying in tight situations.

DYNAMO VS SHIELD BASH
Ahh the best charge generator for Eng. Its personal preference as well. But imo Dynamo trumps because you always jump into a mobs of monsters - dynamo gives more charge for every monster it hits (!). Higher point actually make you full charge in 1 or 2 cast only. However Shield bash is more mana saving...

Optional:
Skills :
Immobolization copter, - for making those monsters slow time (very usefull)
Coup de gra (if you got high str) 1 point ONLY!!
Supercharge - added damage is nice.

Oh you got fire bash. Great! You can max seismic slam as well. It actually does increase your fire damage so much its not even funny.. However, thats a lot of points. you need to manage with spells to max and what to left at tier 1/2. The full charge skill chance after killing enemy is pretty lackluster for me. leave it at 1 point if you want it.

And this build is pretty much MANA intensive, get a lot of high mana regen/steal/max. Or just chug mana pot every fight.
---
Life Is Tough,
But Im Tougher!
#5OmegaDL50Posted 10/4/2012 4:10:21 AM
DPS Weapon skills don't get any benefit at all from Focus EVEN if they do Elemental damage primarily because their damage is derived from the weapon only.

Only Elemental Skills or Effects that don't use Weapon DPS would get boosted from increasing Focus.

Having a High Weapon DPS skill built and Maxing focus is counter productive due to these skills not getting any benefit and their damage being primarily devised from Strength.

For example Onslaught does 60% Electric as weapon DPS. This skill doesn't get any benefit from Focus, however a skill like Emberquake has two damage sources 35% of Weapon DPS as Fire (Strength / Weapon) and +Fire Damage based on player level (Focus)

Keep in mind you want to consider a high STR if your build primarily uses DPS skills.
---
A fan is confident in the game they prefer being able to stand on its own merits.
A fanatic attacks the opposing game showing insecurity in the game they like.
#6Cruznik24Posted 10/4/2012 8:14:29 AM
^ finally someone did it right anything where the dmg is derived from ur dps it means ur strength so while focus is good for any skill that does not derive from dps everything that says x% of dps is derived from strength. All those focus eng. Builds that i keep seeing with flame hammer are seriously lacking the potential dmg from strength
#7anothermaverickPosted 10/4/2012 9:41:16 AM
^ I didn't mention flame hammer because I already recommend get Focus as heavenly as possible. And like the poster said, Emberquake factors in DPS too, which is why ENG 1h/shield is recommended to get Sword and Board, it synergize well. Anyways I may appear like ranting. So I leave this here:

http://forums.runicgames.com/viewtopic.php?f=45&t=37623

Beside, its your game, play however you have fun most. :)
---
Life Is Tough,
But Im Tougher!
#8KilligraphyPosted 10/4/2012 12:25:19 PM
I have found soloing and teaming fun with; Healbot, Supercharge, Onslaught, combo. I"m definitely a sword and board Engin and I'm still having a lot of fun.
---
"Heaven cannot brook two suns, nor earth two masters."
#9ShimmywiiPosted 10/4/2012 12:55:17 PM
Cannoneer is a blast and u do tons of damage and high survivability
---
Sent from my iPhone via PowerFAQs 1.9
#10AllGodsDiePosted 10/4/2012 1:02:29 PM(edited)
OmegaDL50 posted...
DPS Weapon skills don't get any benefit at all from Focus EVEN if they do Elemental damage primarily because their damage is derived from the weapon only.

Only Elemental Skills or Effects that don't use Weapon DPS would get boosted from increasing Focus.

Having a High Weapon DPS skill built and Maxing focus is counter productive due to these skills not getting any benefit and their damage being primarily devised from Strength.

For example Onslaught does 60% Electric as weapon DPS. This skill doesn't get any benefit from Focus, however a skill like Emberquake has two damage sources 35% of Weapon DPS as Fire (Strength / Weapon) and +Fire Damage based on player level (Focus)

Keep in mind you want to consider a high STR if your build primarily uses DPS skills.

Actually, if a weapon scales on weapon dps, you can still equip a wand and it will scale off that focus regardless. Which will make multiple scaling things like emberquake hit a lot harder.
---
Xboxtags-KarmaRetention/Pebble7880.
Steam-Allgodsdie