I do not expect as much out ot TL2 as D3 long term--but

#1MSIMagusPosted 10/5/2012 9:37:33 AM
Ok I want to start by saying I 1,000x prefer TL2 to Diablo 3 right now! However, over time I am a bit jealous of the fact that D3 will get patch after patch after patch adding new items to find, new things to kill etc etc. It will also most likely receive at least one major expansion if not several.

Thats ok though because TL2 as is has so much more to keep me busy and having fun. I also know long term D3 cant be modded and TL2 can, so that offers me tons to do as well. All this said though, I really do hope that if we are not going to see an official expansion that we do see at least one more big patch that does a few important things.

1. Raise level cap. As it is we are going to hit cap fast even on alts.

2. Add more legendaries, especially some armors, trinkets and what not.

3. Add more maps, even if they are not new content just level ranges.

4. This isnt something that is as important as steps 1-3 but I do think that adding Charms like D2 had to TL2 could give people tons of new things to hunt for.

Like I said, all in all I am loving this game and I know mods will solve many problems. I do feel a bit underwhelmed with the number of Legendary items(or even just truly uber sets) and how easy it is to hit max level cap though and I think it is something Runic could solve with a minor patch.
---
Government is the enemy, until you need a friend - Bill Cohen
Tea baggers keep saying they want their country back, well I say I want mine forward - Bill Maher
#2MysticB121Posted 10/5/2012 9:44:00 AM
I would expect a good amount of content via patches from Runic for a while and I have a feeling they wouldn't charge for said content. Not to mention entire landmasses people will be making over the next few years via mods.

Can't say the same for D3. I expect some free content; items, monsters, and legendaries, but don't expect too much major "free" stuff from Blizz.
---
Visual Studio 2008 has stopped responding! Would you like to open Visual Studio 2008 to debug?
#3ActionButlerPosted 10/5/2012 9:54:53 AM
A level cap increase will probably be one of the first mods to hit once Runic provides the tools next month. That was the case with the first TL, as I recall.

In all likelihood, Runic will provide us with no new material other than the Editing tools.
#4dubweaselPosted 10/5/2012 9:58:17 AM
You know about torched? yea... d3 don't have that (when it's released ofc)
#5GenTRPosted 10/5/2012 10:10:12 AM
People play D3 to farm for items and make money on the AH. TL2 is simply a fun game that you play for enjoyment...the same reason people played D1 and D2.

Blizzard is trying to make it funner but until they perceive the RMAH as simply a service to the players and not balancing item drops to maximize revenue from it then it won't be much better then it is now regardless of the content they add.
#6ObsidusPosted 10/5/2012 10:10:37 AM
Between Mapworks, free content patches, the potential for at least 1 expansion, and the metric ton of mods that will come out for this game, I honestly have higher hopes for this game than Diablow 3.
---
Cultivating an immunity to rebuttal is not a substitute for being correct.
#7DragonswkapPosted 10/5/2012 10:38:47 AM
Obsidus posted...
Between Mapworks, free content patches, the potential for at least 1 expansion, and the metric ton of mods that will come out for this game, I honestly have higher hopes for this game than Diablow 3.

I highly doubt they are doing an expansion. in fact from what I remember they won't be working on anything torchlight. 1/2 the mods will make your character WAY OP... more than they are now. 1/4 of them will be ui changes, and 1/4 may add some awesome things. That's how it was for TL1 anyway. As such, don't' expect any content patches either. Torchlight 1 didn't seem to get any, runic left that in the hands of the players.

Diablo 3 on the other hand will be getting expansions, and content patches for probably a good deal of time. Heck 10 years after release, Diablo 2 got a content patch. Say what you want about blizzard, but they do continue to support their games.
---
Pokemon HeartGold FC: 3395 5826 5484 Name: Jack
#8MSIMagus(Topic Creator)Posted 10/5/2012 10:58:21 AM
People play D3 to farm for items and make money on the AH. TL2 is simply a fun game that you play for enjoyment...the same reason people played D1 and D2.

You can still make money in D3? Everyone I know made $30-$200 in the first month or so then never sold anything again.

I agree with those saying we do not see an expansion as well. I would really love that to happen, but I just do not see it happening, thus why I hope we at least see 1 decent sized patch.
---
Government is the enemy, until you need a friend - Bill Cohen
Tea baggers keep saying they want their country back, well I say I want mine forward - Bill Maher
#9voldothegr8Posted 10/5/2012 11:15:46 AM
GenTR posted...

Blizzard is trying to make it funner but until they perceive the RMAH as simply a service to the players and not balancing item drops to maximize revenue from it then it won't be much better then it is now regardless of the content they add.

Agreed, I won't go back to D3 unless they kill the RMAH, which will be never. Not to mention that they shot themselves in the foot with how stats are handled, and unless there is a complete overhaul itemization will never be really changed. With every patch they increase the drop rates, and it's the same story every time. More items, 99% of which are garbage.

Obsidus posted...

Same. D3 has closed servers and expansions to keep what little crowd they have left occupied for the future, TL2 has a mod community. I'll take the latter any day.

Dragonswkap posted...

I highly doubt they are doing an expansion. in fact from what I remember they won't be working on anything torchlight. 1/2 the mods will make your character WAY OP... more than they are now. 1/4 of them will be ui changes, and 1/4 may add some awesome things. That's how it was for TL1 anyway. As such, don't' expect any content patches either. Torchlight 1 didn't seem to get any, runic left that in the hands of the players.

Diablo 3 on the other hand will be getting expansions, and content patches for probably a good deal of time. Heck 10 years after release, Diablo 2 got a content patch. Say what you want about blizzard, but they do continue to support their games.

Runic has stated there will be free content patches. Nothing huge like a full on expansion as of now, though they said they haven't ruled it out, but there will be content added from them.

Also, the mod tools in TL2 are far less restrictive than TL, Runic said if modders are good enough they can create anything they can. Full on new maps/terrains, classes, skills, quests, nothing is off the table. The mods people come out with for this will most likely blow away the mods for TL, which had some pretty respectable mods itself. Again, I'll take that over Blizzards nerfs and greed all day long.
---
Cincinnati Reds: 92-60 NLC clinched. Oakland Raiders: 1-3 (go to f***ing hell Knapp)
Oda break tracker 2012- 5
#10ObsidusPosted 10/5/2012 1:47:10 PM
voldothegr8 posted...
GenTR posted...

Agreed, I won't go back to D3 unless they kill the RMAH, which will be never. Not to mention that they shot themselves in the foot with how stats are handled, and unless there is a complete overhaul itemization will never be really changed. With every patch they increase the drop rates, and it's the same story every time. More items, 99% of which are garbage.

Obsidus posted...

Same. D3 has closed servers and expansions to keep what little crowd they have left occupied for the future, TL2 has a mod community. I'll take the latter any day.

Dragonswkap posted...

Runic has stated there will be free content patches. Nothing huge like a full on expansion as of now, though they said they haven't ruled it out, but there will be content added from them.

Also, the mod tools in TL2 are far less restrictive than TL, Runic said if modders are good enough they can create anything they can. Full on new maps/terrains, classes, skills, quests, nothing is off the table. The mods people come out with for this will most likely blow away the mods for TL, which had some pretty respectable mods itself. Again, I'll take that over Blizzards nerfs and greed all day long.

Agreed. Diablo 3 has far too many intentional design flaws that are just so unfun and inferior to games like Diablo 2 and this game. That on top of the RMAH and even the regular AH, and there are just too many factors stacked against me liking that game, no matter how much content they churn out or not. Additionally, as someone that played WoW for 6 1/2 years, I know that Blizzard is TERRIBLE with balance, and will likely screw things up and make things less fun from time to time with their patches, as often as they add fun things. And also, Blizzard can be pretty sluggish and stingy with new content, so I'm not that sure that they'll be all over adding new things either.
---
Cultivating an immunity to rebuttal is not a substitute for being correct.