embermage build

#1egervari3Posted 10/20/2012 3:17:27 AM
What is a good embermage build? It's so hard to decide what to do since I am not familiar with the game. Does it benefit you to stick to one tree? Is it better to dabble in all of the trees? Some skills seem to stand out and a build that goes into many trees seems like it can be powerful, although I am not aware of the drawbacks to doing this.

When it comes to damage, just how much better is fire compared to the other trees?
#2vlado_ePosted 10/20/2012 6:11:12 AM
Best build - Prismatic Bolt.
-Active Skills-
PB - need a single point. When you have the skill points to spare, level it up to tier 1 or maybe 2.
Hailstorm - AOE, makes enemies more vulnerable to damage, has a chance to freeze them (which is extra damage, as well) and to stun them. Yeah, get this.
Blazing Pillar/Thunder Locus - the two may be an overkill but you can pick at least one of these for added firepower. BP in particular is good if you're facing lots of weak-ish enemies - fire and forget about it
Elemental Boon - it's good to max it out but you may not need it, if you play on a lower difficulty. , still, invest in it for the elemental protection, at least.
Death's Embrace - same as EB, depending on what difficulty you play, you may only need 1 point in it. Really useful for healing at veteran/elite on normal you won't get damaged as much
Frost Phase - 1 point only, so you get more mobility
Ice Prison - it's not bad, but I'd put a single point in it. It can be used for such a great effect - lock a boss/champion inside for some free shots at them, or hide inside. You can even invest more, if you wish, but I find I like other skills more.

-Passive-
The three elemental brands - max them out, no exceptions
Elemental Attunement - put no more than 2-5 points in it just to extend burn/freeze/etc and get a bigger chance of inflicting them.
Frozen Fate - It's all right. If fighting lots of enemies, all coming for you, you can just keep them at bay by freezing them in place. On the other hand FF is a bit weird as it only freezes up to 7 enemies so use is debatable.
Prismatic Rift - sort of the other side of FF - if they hit you, you keep them at bay. Teleports and, I believe, it also stuns attackers. I prefer this one, to be honest. Usefulness is also debatable, as it relies on people hitting you.
Charge Mastery - meh. It's nice to be able to spam zero cost spells, but I'm now running my second embermage (this one is on elite) and he doesn't have any CM - no problems with mana. Some +mana/mana regeneration equipment/gems work fine. It can keep you going until you get Death's Embrace, at which point you shouldn't have problems. Well, you can put some points into it, if you really find yourself strained for mana.

-Skills to avoid-
Staff Mastery/Wand of Chaos - you don't get to add weapon effects to PB. No need for these.
Most other spammable attacks - you have PB. It's imba. BP/TL would work for you because you fire and forget about them, if you're spamming an attack...well, you'd better be spamming PB. The exception would be if you can't seem to target a boss or something - PB hits the nearest thing - if there are enemies between you and your target, you'll have to kill them all first. So in that case, you could get something that hit a target directly. Don't invest in it much, though. Frost Wave might be a good one - you only need a single skill point, as the damage doesn't scale if you add more (the DOT does, as does the chance of freezing opponents).

Stats-wise it depends on what you're playing. I'd suggest 3 focus 2 vitality per level if you're playing on a higher difficulty. On Elite you can even switch over to 2 focus 3 vitality when you're comfortable with the mana. On lower difficultioes, you can actually ditch vitality (especially if you won't have a shield) and go full focus or focus/dex for higher critical chance and dodge. Strength is absolutely useless.

Get the Wildwood set - you can find it across Act 2 and 3 - it boosts all elemental damage. Other than that, you can get some equipment with mana/mana regen, attribute boost, maybe health regen. As for weapon - DPS or type are irrelevant - get something with effects you like but note that On Hit effects won't work (On Kill would, though). For higher difficulty, get also a shield with good block rate (and invest in vitality).
---
We do what we must / because we can. / For the good of all of us. / Except the ones who are dead.
#3andyrclarkPosted 10/20/2012 7:10:12 AM
So far I have been putting everything into Magma Spear, Fire Brand, Frozen Fate, and Prismatic Rift. Occasionally Elemental Attunement and at least one point into the other brands.
I can cast forever, everything dies incredibly fast, and globs are almost perma-stunned with frozen fate. If they do get to me they usually just get one hit and then get teleported away with prismatic rift back into permastun land.

Since Magma Spear is based on your weapon DPS purely, put points equally into strength and focus. This will counter the diminishing returns of focusing on one stat while giving you the most weapon DPS. Since you have high strength don't be afraid to use warhammers or the such. Whatever has the highest weapon dps.

Since Magma Spear hits very rapidly, and everyone in a line, you can get alot of Fire Brand procs, and as you put points into Elemental Attunement you can easily get burning, shocked, poison, and frost all on the same enemy if they are the elite special enemies or bosses. Once you get ice and lightning brand, it will all add up to a ton of damage brands proccing really rapidly with great crowd CC.
---
-----------------------------------------
GamerTag: ForbidHercules Online games I own: Soul Calibur 4, Tenchu Z, Rock Band, Skate
#4cymanxPosted 10/20/2012 8:31:56 AM
Prismatic Bolt is a good skill, but I've prepared two builds for you. A fire build, and an ice build. You will have extra points to put into whatever your heart desires.

http://torchlight2armory.com/skill-calc?i=2#lk_Amf169ZR-F_eRJRwCmpWlEHLW

http://torchlight2armory.com/skill-calc?i=2#llag5dCtUlhSb4MrKjvseaf46gLW

These builds rely entirely on focus for damage. Not to mention, most of the quality uniques that you will find will require over 200 points put into focus, NOT strength.
---
Maybe if we talk to the television, and know everything there is to know about football, that our favorite team will make it to the super bowl...
#5vlado_ePosted 10/20/2012 11:23:24 AM(edited)
My thoughts on those two builds:

15 in Charge Mastery and Elemental Attunement is wasteful. At most, you can spent 15 across both of them, but 5 each should be enough.

The fire build has no real attack skill until level 28. And yet it has Immolation. I'd swap it for Magma Spear and add the unneeded points from CM and EA to Staff Mastery (even although it would go too high) - that would increase the damage output immensely. The side effect is that the build would come to rely on equipment and even staves in particular. Well, the alternative is to put only a few points in MS (so few of what you shave off CM/EA) and no Staff Mastery, this would keep you going until you hit 28.

The frost build I sort of agree with (well, see CM/EA above) but why do you need 15 in Frost Phase? The only thing that increases is the chance to freeze (which Hailstorm and Frost Wave do better) and the knockback (if you're teleporting into mobs to keep them away, you might need to rethink the what teleportation does), not to mention that it increases the mana cost. Also - no Hailstorm, why? Chance to stun, freeze and direct debuff increasing the effect of all your other spells. It's too good not to max out.

I've revised the two somewhat:
Fire build with staff: http://torchlight2armory.com/skill-calc?i=2#lk_AeR6QioZ7ST86O6ayF6f46gLW
(you can also cut down on Staff Mastery, if you wish)
Fire build without staff: http://torchlight2armory.com/skill-calc?i=2#lk_AePg7rULqo8EW07ZLk_WlEHLW

Frost build: http://torchlight2armory.com/skill-calc?i=2#l4SeyQy7Kia9vK7IHKEHpcGHhCrW
(invested in Ice Prison only to keep the same skill cost. Feel free to move these points)
---
We do what we must / because we can. / For the good of all of us. / Except the ones who are dead.
#6artooorPosted 10/20/2012 12:26:02 PM(edited)
I'm going with Tempest (Frost and Storm trees). Mind you, I just started playing, started as Outlander, 27 level, and yesterday tried Embermage, 19 level right now. So I don't know how good it will be, but there's bit of synergy between those skills so I guess I should be fine. Most stats go into Focus, with few points into dex and vit from time to time, on average it's 3:1:1 . As for skills:

- Hailstorm - great AoE CC with ridiculous low cooldown. Tier bonuses will work great with other skills from Frost and Storm. Basically, I open every fight with it and recast every few seconds to keep part of mobs frozen.

- Thunder Locus - together with Hailstorm it does wonders. Only con is small area, but with CC it works great. And high damage too.

- Frost Wave - don't have it yet but I guess I'l be using it a lot, another way to CC and damage

- Shockbolts - also don't have it yet. Guess it will be main attack, and with Staff Mastery good way do debuff crowds.

- Lightning and Frost Brands - considering I do a lot of AoE damage, those will proc fairly often

- and other skills, Frost Phase, Ice Prison, Prismatic Rift and anything else I'll have any points left.

For now it's a blast, feels really good crushing all mobs into smithereens. Any thoughts from more experienced players? Will this build be at least decent on higher difficulty levels?
---
"That's mortals for you. They've only got a few years in this world
and they spend them all in making things complicated for themselves." - DEATH
#7vlado_ePosted 10/20/2012 1:06:27 PM
artooor posted...
- Frost Wave - don't have it yet but I guess I'l be using it a lot, another way to CC and damage

- Shockbolts - also don't have it yet. Guess it will be main attack, and with Staff Mastery good way do debuff crowds.

Just a note her - I'm currently running an elite frost/lightning embermage. I initially planned to use both of these, but I decided to get rid of Shockbolts, because it made me item dependant (FW does fixed damage). Both are pretty sweet, though. You only need to get FW to tier 1 initially, as adding more points doesn't increase it's damage, so you better just wait until you're able to get Tier 2 and go for it then.

Also, Shockbolts, while it is item dependant, also applies all your weapon's effects which would normally go off on hit. You can have health/mana steal, quite easily and it would work wanders. Same goes to chance to cast X on hit - it's just wanderful to see random meteors/acid rains/and so on raining on your enemies. Were I running a Shockbolts EM, I would probably also invest in Wand of Chaos to maximise the usefulness of the crowds.

Then again, Shockbolts has another drawback - it's a bit situational. Great when there are many enemies in one place, but pretty meh if they aren't. I guess it would work out fine, if you play multiplayer (others can cover you) but since I'm playing solo, it's not worth pouring the skill points into it.
---
#8vlado_ePosted 10/20/2012 5:19:09 PM
Just a followup - it seems that health/mana steal does not work with Shockbolts (also the other skills that deal DPS dependant damage). That really does bring Shockbolts down a notch, since it's a pricey spell to cast.
---
#9cymanxPosted 10/20/2012 6:20:24 PM
vlado_e posted...
My thoughts on those two builds:

15 in Charge Mastery and Elemental Attunement is wasteful. At most, you can spent 15 across both of them, but 5 each should be enough.

The fire build has no real attack skill until level 28. And yet it has Immolation. I'd swap it for Magma Spear and add the unneeded points from CM and EA to Staff Mastery (even although it would go too high) - that would increase the damage output immensely. The side effect is that the build would come to rely on equipment and even staves in particular. Well, the alternative is to put only a few points in MS (so few of what you shave off CM/EA) and no Staff Mastery, this would keep you going until you hit 28.

The frost build I sort of agree with (well, see CM/EA above) but why do you need 15 in Frost Phase? The only thing that increases is the chance to freeze (which Hailstorm and Frost Wave do better) and the knockback (if you're teleporting into mobs to keep them away, you might need to rethink the what teleportation does), not to mention that it increases the mana cost. Also - no Hailstorm, why? Chance to stun, freeze and direct debuff increasing the effect of all your other spells. It's too good not to max out.

I've revised the two somewhat:
Fire build with staff: http://torchlight2armory.com/skill-calc?i=2#lk_AeR6QioZ7ST86O6ayF6f46gLW
(you can also cut down on Staff Mastery, if you wish)
Fire build without staff: http://torchlight2armory.com/skill-calc?i=2#lk_AePg7rULqo8EW07ZLk_WlEHLW

Frost build: http://torchlight2armory.com/skill-calc?i=2#l4SeyQy7Kia9vK7IHKEHpcGHhCrW
(invested in Ice Prison only to keep the same skill cost. Feel free to move these points)

I don't like magma spear so much. I prefer immolation because there is nothing it can't destroy, it is just that powerful.
---
Maybe if we talk to the television, and know everything there is to know about football, that our favorite team will make it to the super bowl...
#10vlado_ePosted 10/20/2012 6:50:04 PM
cymanx posted...
I don't like magma spear so much. I prefer immolation because there is nothing it can't destroy, it is just that powerful.

You have to be close, though, and I'm not keen on that. Also, it's a high level spell - you need something to get you there. 1 rank in MS could work, 5 might be a bit too much. And if you really don't want it, you can retrain the skill and add a point in it every couple of levels or so, so it always stays in your retraining list (or just use respec potions).

Well, OK, if you're playing with others, I guess you can just hold off the points until you can invest in a high level skill, but I'm playing solo, so I'm working my builds around that by default.
---