Gauging which difficulty to stick with

#1Blondie425Posted 10/25/2012 7:32:26 AM
So, when I first started playing, I started messing around with the classes to see which one I'd want to main, just on Easy, in order to get a feel for them and nothing else.

Now that I've decided my class, what I'm wondering is, if I've played and beaten TL1 without problems on Normal, what difficulty should I go with in TL2 in order to have the best experience?

I should also note that I'm also replaying TL1 at the same time, but on Hard, and overall I'm surviving without much trouble. As well, I'm a LONGTIME D2 player, so I know my way around ARPGs.
---
GT: AlexTheNextOne
Battletag: AlexTheNext1#1210
#2rabounePosted 10/25/2012 8:05:17 AM
elite would be the more challenging and rewarding. You just need to be optimized in your build. Veteran allows you to have a challenge while trying out a "just for fun" build or something that isn't optimal.
#3Blondie425(Topic Creator)Posted 10/25/2012 8:06:38 AM
raboune posted...
elite would be the more challenging and rewarding. You just need to be optimized in your build. Veteran allows you to have a challenge while trying out a "just for fun" build or something that isn't optimal.

Well, then I'd probably want to stick with Veteran for now, since I don't know enough yet about the good or not-so-good skills for the different classes.
---
#4rabidchickenofdeathPosted 10/25/2012 9:08:39 AM
I'd definitely say Veteran. Torchlight on Normal wasn't very hard until you got to the last area of the story dungeon. I'd say that the Veteran difficulty is comparable for the first Act but starting with Act 2 the difficulty starts to pick up. I think it's a great difficulty for someone that enjoyed Torchlight's Normal.
---
"Simon Pegg: He is like bacon, he makes bad stuff OK, and good stuff great." - DMCdriver
#5lancooledPosted 10/25/2012 5:18:40 PM
I went with veteran because I don't wanna feel attached to a shield (I play an outlander). I love bows and crossbows
---
Enemy AC has been destroyed. Combat system, disengaged.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WrUzXtNvW6U
#6Blondie425(Topic Creator)Posted 10/26/2012 7:15:04 AM
Does Elite mode give you better drops, more/less experience, or other things like that, or is it simply harder?

And for that matter (and I suppose this would apply for TL1, too), is it overall more rewarding and fun on the hardest difficulty?
---
#7vlado_ePosted 10/26/2012 11:38:19 AM
Blondie425 posted...
Does Elite mode give you better drops, more/less experience, or other things like that, or is it simply harder?

It's just harder.

And for that matter (and I suppose this would apply for TL1, too), is it overall more rewarding and fun on the hardest difficulty?

Well, it depends on what you're after. Lower difficulties allow for wider range of builds and you can play it quite more casually (it's really relaxing, actually, to go and murderize everything). But I find it boring if there is no challenge at all. Heck, I first played on Normal and I killed stuff so fast, I hadn't even seen some of the character models until I started playing on a higher diff.Only the bosses/champions game me a chance to get a really good look at them. I even managed to read some of their special abilities.

Veteran/Elite would require some twinking, with Elite needing the most of it. I do like optimising builds, so these two fit like a glove - Veteran is my preferred one, for it accommodates most of my builds, but Elite is place where the special few go and brave.

Oh, and you can switch between difficulties, freely. Sort of. You will always use the diff you selected in the beginning, if you go into single player game, however, you can create a server, select a different one and still play the same character with no problems. Well, you can also use the Rapid Respec Tool to change the default difficulty but that's "unofficial":
http://forums.runicgames.com/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=43248
---
We do what we must / because we can. / For the good of all of us. / Except the ones who are dead.
#8Taran_McDohlPosted 10/26/2012 4:27:56 PM
Veteran is a good difficulty. Normal is to easy.
---
An excuse is the sauce fools spoon over failure to hide the flavor of their own incompetence.
PSN: Taran_Omega / Steam ID: tpanciera
#9helldewPosted 10/28/2012 8:08:58 PM
Agreed Vet is perfect Elite is better with a better understanding while normal is stupidly easy
---
ErrorSupply 3-D DS -OMG! It's the ultimate anti-pirate tech O:.
#10synthetiksinPosted 10/29/2012 2:11:07 PM
Veteran is the perfect balance between challenge and playability. I solo'd elite and it was a much more frustrating experience overall, especially since things can ohk you with a crit.