If I buy a 20 dollar steam or amazon gift card, I can get this game right?

#1bronze4v4proPosted 11/16/2012 10:58:06 AM
I'm new to buying downloadable games online. If I get a 20 dollar gift card for amazon or steam, and torchlight 2 only costs 19.99, then I can buy this game with this 20 dollar gift card, right? Is there a sales tax when using gift cards?

I would prefer to get this game off of amazon and not steam because I heard you have to log on to steam online to play games on your steam profile, but you can log off after you log on. I don't want to do that. I like playing offline without ever having to play online.

Also 2 other questions:

1. How big are the patches? I have a usage limit so I cannot download much, but I can go to a family member's house and dl patches there, but I don't want to do it too often. How many more patches could there be for this game in the near future and how big could they be? If patches are only a couple hundred mb once every month, then that is fine, but if there are 1gb patches every couple weeks then I probably won't get this game.

2. Can you bring your character from offline play and bring to online and vice versa?
#2ragnarokiusPosted 11/16/2012 11:29:59 AM
Virtual sales tax depends on where you live. I'd just google it specifically.

I dunno about the patches.

Yes, you can play single player and multiplayer interchangeably on one character.
---
http://tinyurl.com/8pnek9m
#3vlado_ePosted 11/16/2012 12:13:35 PM
bronze4v4pro posted...
I'm new to buying downloadable games online. If I get a 20 dollar gift card for amazon or steam, and torchlight 2 only costs 19.99, then I can buy this game with this 20 dollar gift card, right? Is there a sales tax when using gift cards?

Usually, no. There may be exceptions I'm not aware of, though.

I would prefer to get this game off of amazon and not steam because I heard you have to log on to steam online to play games on your steam profile, but you can log off after you log on. I don't want to do that. I like playing offline without ever having to play online.

I doubt you'll be able to get it off Amazon - there wasn't a retail release. Well, unless you get a German version or something - they have retail copies for several non-English speaking countries. TL2 certainly isn't on Amazon.com, but it's there on Amazon.co.uk...it's 16 + 4 dlivery, though. 19-20 Euro from .de, 23.70 Euro from .fr and 20 Euro (plus another 7.50 for delivery) from .it.

You can get the English version for 20$ from the official website but Runic only accept PayPal or Google Checkout.

And a final thing to note - you can keep Steam in Offline mode at pretty much all times.

1. How big are the patches? I have a usage limit so I cannot download much, but I can go to a family member's house and dl patches there, but I don't want to do it too often. How many more patches could there be for this game in the near future and how big could they be? If patches are only a couple hundred mb once every month, then that is fine, but if there are 1gb patches every couple weeks then I probably won't get this game.

The patches are ~500MB each. So far there have been 5 of them and a couple of hotfixes in between (that are just a few meg). They were coming out faster in the beginning - about a week apart but the latest one (from yesterday) was a month after the second last one. I suspect there would be 1-2 a month and would grow rarer.

2. Can you bring your character from offline play and bring to online and vice versa?

The characters are stored locally - there is no difference between single or multiplayer as far as the characters are concerned - both can be played the same way.
---
We do what we must / because we can. / For the good of all of us. / Except the ones who are dead.
#4bronze4v4pro(Topic Creator)Posted 11/17/2012 5:28:28 PM
so if i get a 20 dollar steam gift card for christmas, that can fully pay for torchlight 2, which costs 19.99 right? There isn't tax to that 19.99, right?
#5vlado_ePosted 11/17/2012 7:22:48 PM
No, there isn't. If it says $19.99, you pay $19.99 - no extra charges.
---
We do what we must / because we can. / For the good of all of us. / Except the ones who are dead.
#6MarikhenPosted 11/18/2012 2:26:38 AM
I can't speak for other countries but in the US store-based gift cards usually have sales tax charged when you purchase them and any purchases made with them have no further taxes deducted from them. With credit card backed gift cards, however, you're more often charged a service fee, usually $2 with a corresponding $20 minimum (which amounts to 10% sales tax so if your local taxes are over 10% you might consider one instead of a Steam card or whatever)) in my experiences, rather than sales tax fees. In return any purchases made inside the state you are currently existing in, whether online or off, will have sales taxes charged. Unless you're in one of those hinky states that still charges sales tax on out of state purchases buying stuff from outside of the state you live in will avoid the taxes.

Personally, with $2 fees regardless of how much you put into a CC-backed gift card making a $40 card have a 5% "sales tax" and an $80 card have a 2.5% "sales tax" I'd consider saving money and buying multiple games at one time to reduce the extra fees you pay.
---
Stop complaining. I could have done this more painfully. - Dryad from Sacred 2.