Random questions

#1GoaFan77Posted 1/7/2013 8:22:20 PM
So I finished my first playthrough as an outlander. Right before playing the final area I got lucky on a gambler and got the Gray Sky, a unique shotgun that only does Ice damage (later I realized it was an outlander final quest reward). However, I'm not exactly sure how best to use this weapon.

1. Is it better to increase strength or focus when dealing with wands or Gray Sky? Both my Magic and Strength damage values are the same when using it, and increasing either increases my damage output. I thought at first Strength only increased physical damage, but it says just weapon damage. So am I right is thinking its getting boosted from both?

2. One of the effects of Gray Sky is a chance to use "Glacial Spike" on hit. I was wondering if there is any place to see the stats of spells like this? Some like "Fully Heal Self" are pretty obvious, but other like "Bring Forth the Skull" or "Meteor Strike" or something not and I have no idea whether these effects are worth it or not.

3. What exactly is so special about 109 dexterity? I realize there is a cap on dodge and critical hit chance, and you get diminishing returns before that. But what are they assuming you do to be able to stop their. I know part of it is the charge bonus, but do they also assume armor enchantments and dodge mastery (I've put no points into that)?

4. This is more of a general question, but what kind of enchantments should I be looking out for. I know it depends a lot on build, but my general strategy has been just to get the highest attribute bonuses I can find, plus any +% damage or damage reduction. Are the others like retaliate damage really worth getting?
---
"How ridiculous and how strange to be surprised at anything which happens in life!"
#2vlado_ePosted 1/8/2013 1:33:36 AM
Actually, the quest rewards are random - the shotgonne might not appear for another character. Anyway:

1. What is your build? What skills are you using the most? If you are using skills with a lot of elemental damage, then Focus is preferable, otherwise - Strength. But at any rate, don't change your stat distribution for a weapon, since you'll be changing it at some point, and if the next one does physical damage, then the Focus might not be equal to Strength.

2. Not sure. Glacial Spike is in the torchlight2Armory
http://torchlight2armory.com/item?i=6696553905536658101
But you can see the information is not exactly useful.

3. After 109 Dexterity the diminishing returns of crit chance and dodge (from Dexterity) mean it's just not worth it to put more attribute points there - you will get more benefit elsewhere. And for Outlanders, they don't need more, since using the charge bar and Share the Wealth (as well as some equipment) they can reach the cap of those stats anyway. Since you can't go over the cap, more points are absolutely wasted.

4. Damage return - no, forget it. If you're using normal attacks, you can benefit from some mana/health steal. Otherwise damage over time is always good - since the DOTs stack, you can bleed an enemy really easily, especially using Rapid Fire. All Damage Taken is reduced by X% helps a lot. +Health as well. ...actually, there are too many to list. It really depends on the build.
---
We do what we must / because we can. / For the good of all of us. / Except the ones who are dead.
#3Volren617Posted 1/8/2013 7:38:48 AM
Just as an addendum to #2 I have seen a guide for a Focus-based Outlander build that is centered primarily around using DPS-based Outlander skills to trigger Glacial Spike and Meteor Strike.

The build is here: http://forums.runicgames.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=48730

I don't know how up to date it is but the damage numbers he is putting forward for Glacial Spike are nothing to sneeze at. I've also seen a guide for a Focus-based outlander wielding a wand in the main hand to pump DPS for skills while using any old pistol in the other hand. If you can live without a shield combining the ideas seems like it has potential.
#4GoaFan77(Topic Creator)Posted 1/8/2013 2:50:01 PM(edited)
vlado_e posted...

1. What is your build? What skills are you using the most? If you are using skills with a lot of elemental damage, then Focus is preferable, otherwise - Strength. But at any rate, don't change your stat distribution for a weapon, since you'll be changing it at some point, and if the next one does physical damage, then the Focus might not be equal to Strength.

I don't think I made myself clear. My current build was focused on normal shotguns so I was using strength, but with this shotgun it seems both focus and strength will boost its damage? I'm wondering if this holds true for any weapon that does only elemental damage, or if this is just a display bug.

I'm not planning on changing my current character for this, but I'm seriously considering a focus outlander the next build I do.

Volren617 posted...
Just as an addendum to #2 I have seen a guide for a Focus-based Outlander build that is centered primarily around using DPS-based Outlander skills to trigger Glacial Spike and Meteor Strike.

The build is here: http://forums.runicgames.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=48730

I don't know how up to date it is but the damage numbers he is putting forward for Glacial Spike are nothing to sneeze at. I've also seen a guide for a Focus-based outlander wielding a wand in the main hand to pump DPS for skills while using any old pistol in the other hand. If you can live without a shield combining the ideas seems like it has potential.

Thanks, definitely some cool things to try there. I might need to take a second look at chaos burst...
---
"How ridiculous and how strange to be surprised at anything which happens in life!"
#5tiomastaPosted 1/8/2013 4:32:57 PM(edited)
Focus increases non-physical damage of weapons in the exact same way that strength increases weapon damage of every kind. Strength also increases crit damage, and focus also increases the damage of skills. All skills, except minion or pet stuff. Including the skills from "X% chance of casting ____" effects, and including skills that deal physical damage, and including DoT effects.

vlado_e posted...
since the DOTs stack, you can bleed an enemy really easily, especially using Rapid Fire.

Rapid Fire? Some skills are even way better than that. The 2-sec cooldown Venomous Hail, Chaos Burst spam, Berserker's Wolfpack, those hit about twice as often (and therefore benefit more from bleeding or "X% of ___ on hit" effects).

These 3 are the absolute best ones to hit often, from what I've tested from all classes (only some skills benefit from those effects, by the way).
Venomous Hail doesn't hit as often as the other two, but hits for its full potential on every single target (if they stay in range, anyway).
Wolfpack is homing and each wolf pierces enemies so it's still good for groups, and stacks more hits on a single guy than Hail.
Then there's Chaos Burst, which stacks up potentially more than any other because of the fast cast speed, how they pierce enemies, and how the projectiles bounce off walls, possibly hitting a guy again. But Chaos Burst has its projectiles come out in a very wide spread and they don't home in on enemies. Plus, the mana cost might be a little too much since you're gonna cast it multiple times per second.

Oh, and Wolfpack can be used with any weapon while Venomous Hail and Chaos Burst can only be used with bows, crossbows, pistols or shotguns, if anyone would like to check out the absolute best weapon for this kind of thing.
Effects from shotgun mastery applies to those skills (chance for stun and blind on hit), and so does the Berserker's Shred Armor (though only the armor-reducing part, not the armor-stealing one).

There's also the Engineer's Fusillade, which hits a lot though not as much as any of these, but all cannons have a 35% chance to stun and two-hander mastery gives more 30% chance to stun, by the way.

By the way, that post has a couple of things wrong:

The easiest way to achieve this is to equip your weapon with the socketable The Eye of Aleera, which has a 5% chance to cast Glacial Spike from target. By equipping 2 1-handed weapon with 4 sockets, you can achieve a 40% chance.

They don't stack that way, I think. It just checks the 5% chance for each one so it's way less than that, and I wouldn't really say that the game counts those effects that are in your off-hander.
---
There are three types of people in the world: people that can count, and people that can't.
#6vlado_ePosted 1/8/2013 5:15:47 PM
tiomasta posted...
By the way, that post has a couple of things wrong:

The easiest way to achieve this is to equip your weapon with the socketable The Eye of Aleera, which has a 5% chance to cast Glacial Spike from target. By equipping 2 1-handed weapon with 4 sockets, you can achieve a 40% chance.

They don't stack that way, I think. It just checks the 5% chance for each one so it's way less than that, and I wouldn't really say that the game counts those effects that are in your off-hander.

Yes, that is correct - each On Hit chance is an actual separate chance. This means that with 2 times 5% chance, you don't get 10% chance to inflict it, you actually have 9.75% chance to inflict it at least once per attack (and if you're wandering, for 8 * 5%, it's ~33.66%). But you could also have it happen two or more times simultaneously - so, with 2 * 5%, you have 0.25% that both would go off at once.
---
We do what we must / because we can. / For the good of all of us. / Except the ones who are dead.