The ending of Bioshock Infinite and Stephen King's The Dark Tower series...

#1thebassclef626Posted 3/30/2013 5:23:48 AM
•••SPOILERS FOR BOTH FRANCHISES•••

Anyone else catch the similarities? Elizabeth opening tears into other dimensions like the doors in The Dark Tower opening into other worlds, so similar yet slightly different. It always begins with a man and a lighthouse or Roland at/in The Dark Tower in an endless circle. The lighthouses at the end showing all the different realities just like The Dark Tower is the focal point of all realities. The music that is the same, but slightly different. I can probably come up with more examples, but those are just off the top of my head. I'm definitely not trying to knock on Bioshock Infinite's story in any way shape or form, just pointing out similarities. And IMO if your story is in any way a call back or shout out to The Dark Tower, that's a good thing:) also not saying that the writers intended for any similarities...
---
"Ok, well now we're getting somewhere. Which one of you two idiots was eating a god---- newspaper?"
#2JaredC1Posted 3/30/2013 5:31:17 AM
I read all the dark tower books. A very impressive series indeed. I, unfortunately, have not played this game yet, but once I'm through with farcry 3, I'll be snagging this up. Been waiting for BioShock to come back. I'm even more excited to hear that there are dark tower references whether intentional or not.
#3Setzer0608Posted 3/30/2013 5:36:30 AM
So glad you mentioned this, yes I absolutely noticed, the dark tower is one of my favorate book series. Although the dark towers endings only focused on the loop theory, it ended where it began with nothing really resolved other than Roland having the horn of eld leaving the reader to assume maybe things would be different this time. Where as Bioshock was more resolved, eliminating certain realities and preventing realities from ever happening.
---
Currently playing: Dead Space 3
#4thebassclef626(Topic Creator)Posted 3/30/2013 5:38:15 AM
Lol I need to finish Far Cry 3 as well:) perhaps after I get the Scavenger Hunt trophy (I'm working on that right now)...
---
"Ok, well now we're getting somewhere. Which one of you two idiots was eating a god---- newspaper?"
#5thebassclef626(Topic Creator)Posted 3/30/2013 5:40:03 AM
Setzer0608 posted...
So glad you mentioned this, yes I absolutely noticed, the dark tower is one of my favorate book series. Although the dark towers endings only focused on the loop theory, it ended where it began with nothing really resolved other than Roland having the horn of eld leaving the reader to assume maybe things would be different this time. Where as Bioshock was more resolved, eliminating certain realities and preventing realities from ever happening.

I'm thinking it's about time I read those books again. It's been probably 4 years for me at least...
---
#6Setzer0608Posted 3/30/2013 5:43:00 AM
thebassclef626 posted...
Setzer0608 posted...

I'm thinking it's about time I read those books again. It's been probably 4 years for me at least...

Yeah it's been even longer for me, and he actually wrote another book in the series, takes place in between 4 and 5.
---
Currently playing: Dead Space 3
#7thebassclef626(Topic Creator)Posted 3/30/2013 5:47:24 AM
^^The Wind Through the Keyhole. I have this but haven't read it yet:)
---
#8dantedeschain13Posted 3/31/2013 4:51:05 PM
The minute I saw the title, I was like "GOD DAMMIT, THIS ENDS WITH SOME YOUR CHOICES NEVER CHANGE PARADOX". Cool ending though, would have preferred if they took the extra step and either a.) Had Ken Levine come out and say stop here or you may not like how this ends or b.) Give Booker the Horn of Eld in 1999 mode. And glad to see someone else reads them books
#9steun91Posted 4/2/2013 2:34:09 AM
Yes i noticed :). I actually posted this in a "The story is like Fringe" topic. (Fringe also lends a lot from The Dark Tower).

Amazing books though, totally recommend them to y'all.
---
See you later alligator, after a while crocodile, don't forget to write.