About Anna *spoilers*

#1firedrake29Posted 4/14/2013 10:31:35 AM
Just finished my second playthrough, and it's interesting to see how the pieces come together. I think I've got a good 'big picture' view of the story now (after my first playthrough, my head just hurt thinking about it).

There's something I still don't get, though: Who does Booker *think* that Anna is, throughout the game itself?

In Soldier's Field, he has a brief conversation about Elizabeth where he reveals he had a woman in his life, but that she died. I think he also implied that he had no kids at this time, or if he did have a kid, that kid died (just recalling now from memory, correct me if I'm wrong).

At one point, Elizabeth asks him, after he'd been unconscious, "You kept saying a name over and over - Anna, Anna. Who's Anna?" Then Booker replies, "I don't want to talk about it."

That's gotta be relevant. He says "I don't want to talk about", not "I don't know". Also, from the Vox Populi-Booker-version Voxophones (I only picked these up during my 2nd run), we hear Booker apologizing again to Anna when he realizes he's going to die. So we ought to think that Booker knows what he did to his daughter.

BUT THEN, at the Sea of Doors, when he sees baby Anna in the crib, he freaks out, saying "What is this? There was no baby!" So, suddenly it seems like he has no recollection of baby Anna at all. If he doesn't remember having a baby named Anna twenty years ago, then who exactly is Anna to him during the course of the game's events?
---
If you want a happy ending,
You've to write it yourself.
#2mrsims31Posted 4/14/2013 1:14:00 PM
I got on here to ask similar questions:

When exactly do the two of them become "aware" of the truth? I'm having a hard time discerning what's foreshadowing in this game and what actually has more literal meaning behind it. For instance; when you make it to Comstock House you come across several audios from Elizabeth. At this point it seems obvious that she knows who Booker really is.
---
...doomy doomy doomy...
#3shnoob2Posted 4/14/2013 2:03:05 PM
And when you are trying to rescue Elizabeth from Comstock House after the Songbird takes her, is that Elizabeth that you rescue the same Elizabeth from the main plot or is it a different Elizabeth? I don't understand the "6 months" comment or the snow.
---
"GET OFF MY PLANE!"- Han Solo in Airforce One
DLC and Online Passes = the downfall of video games.
#4Yaboy125Posted 4/14/2013 2:33:38 PM
shnoob2 posted...
And when you are trying to rescue Elizabeth from Comstock House after the Songbird takes her, is that Elizabeth that you rescue the same Elizabeth from the main plot or is it a different Elizabeth? I don't understand the "6 months" comment or the snow.

same elizabeth, just many years later. as you are in the future, it's hard to say your elizabeth WILL become her, but she has all the memories of your Elizabeth, so yes, it's her. the 6 months thing was just to tease you into thinking you had jumped in time, but not that far. so then when you see old Elizabeth you're like omg wtf
---
Have you read the Old Testament? **** goes down in that. -RinkuTanuki
#5Yaboy125Posted 4/14/2013 2:36:38 PM
firedrake29 posted...
Just finished my second playthrough, and it's interesting to see how the pieces come together. I think I've got a good 'big picture' view of the story now (after my first playthrough, my head just hurt thinking about it).

There's something I still don't get, though: Who does Booker *think* that Anna is, throughout the game itself?

In Soldier's Field, he has a brief conversation about Elizabeth where he reveals he had a woman in his life, but that she died. I think he also implied that he had no kids at this time, or if he did have a kid, that kid died (just recalling now from memory, correct me if I'm wrong).

At one point, Elizabeth asks him, after he'd been unconscious, "You kept saying a name over and over - Anna, Anna. Who's Anna?" Then Booker replies, "I don't want to talk about it."

That's gotta be relevant. He says "I don't want to talk about", not "I don't know". Also, from the Vox Populi-Booker-version Voxophones (I only picked these up during my 2nd run), we hear Booker apologizing again to Anna when he realizes he's going to die. So we ought to think that Booker knows what he did to his daughter.

BUT THEN, at the Sea of Doors, when he sees baby Anna in the crib, he freaks out, saying "What is this? There was no baby!" So, suddenly it seems like he has no recollection of baby Anna at all. If he doesn't remember having a baby named Anna twenty years ago, then who exactly is Anna to him during the course of the game's events?

Quote from beginning of the game - the mind fills in the blanks where memories don't exist. As booker jumps dimensions early in the game (before you join him) he is now in an alternate universe, and starting to recreate his memories, because he is now in Comstock's universe, and none of that ever happened to Comstock. In fact, Comstock wasn't even there, Robert retrieved Anna if you recall.

So I assume that memory, being one he didn't particularly like anyways, got overwritten. As he never did talk about it, he did not fully even think about it I bet. He just new it was an ugly memory, and Elizabeth would hate him if he told her the truth. You can know how you feel about something without fully recalling it, after all.

Anna is someone he will never forget - he MADE SURE OF THAT - even if he doesn't recall who she is. The AD brand? Anna DeWitt.
---
Have you read the Old Testament? **** goes down in that. -RinkuTanuki
#6charcutiersmPosted 4/14/2013 7:28:00 PM
i think the nose bleeds help as they happen when the person has more than one memory overlap from a different universe/timeline. subconsciously he is aware of everything that happened to anna but in order in remember certain triggers must be activated and that is what the whole end part is about. I think he new it as soon as he saw her and went into a state of denial. she realized this in the years after she was taken away from him, when she was running the town, and so he could get closer as well as make it all end for them both.
---
"Take this quarter go downtown and have a rat gnaw that thing off your face! Good day to you madam"
#7firedrake29(Topic Creator)Posted 4/15/2013 8:04:03 AM
Yaboy125 posted...
firedrake29 posted...

Quote from beginning of the game - the mind fills in the blanks where memories don't exist. As booker jumps dimensions early in the game (before you join him) he is now in an alternate universe, and starting to recreate his memories, because he is now in Comstock's universe, and none of that ever happened to Comstock. In fact, Comstock wasn't even there, Robert retrieved Anna if you recall.

So I assume that memory, being one he didn't particularly like anyways, got overwritten. As he never did talk about it, he did not fully even think about it I bet. He just new it was an ugly memory, and Elizabeth would hate him if he told her the truth. You can know how you feel about something without fully recalling it, after all.

Anna is someone he will never forget - he MADE SURE OF THAT - even if he doesn't recall who she is. The AD brand? Anna DeWitt.

Seems like a fair explanation. However, it doesn't sit that well with me because it just felt, I don't know, inconsistent. On my second playthrough, I at least wanted to identify what Booker was thinking, consistently, throughout the game.

Was he thinking, "I am saving this Elizabeth girl to pay off my gambling debts?"

Or was he thinking, "I am saving Elizabeth to atone for selling Anna away twenty years ago?"

The former is obviously expressed more than the latter, and yet it's odd because he kept saying Anna's name anyway, and - like I mentioned - the alternate-Vox-Populi-martyr-Booker also seems to know who Anna is (hinted by his Voxophones). Why does he keep mentioning Anna, saying her name and apologizing to her, if can't even say who she is? And that will go back to the whole timelines overlapping thing, and then my head will start to hurt again and asdfgbhnjkl I don't know anymore. O_o
---
If you want a happy ending,
You've to write it yourself.
#8charcutiersmPosted 4/15/2013 8:14:34 AM
firedrake29 posted...
Was he thinking, "I am saving this Elizabeth girl to pay off my gambling debts?"

Or was he thinking, "I am saving Elizabeth to atone for selling Anna away twenty years ago?"

i think he was getting elizabeth to wipe away his sins as he felt no other way could, demonstrated by the fact when he is baptized at the start of the game they say this one is still unclean or something like that.

I think the rob lutec came to him a second time and thought that him taking elizabeth/anna back would stop the destruction the lutecs set in motion thus clearing their debt as well.
---
"Take this quarter go downtown and have a rat gnaw that thing off your face! Good day to you madam"
#9cirus 7Posted 4/15/2013 8:20:08 AM
your still missing the point. bookers mind is fractured from crossing over into a reality where he already exists as comstock. in that world none of his memories ever happened, anna was never born or existed in comstock reality, so bookers mind has to "fill in the blanks" so to speak, and created false memories about being given a job to save elizabeth.
this is why he gets nose bleeds when he trys to remember certain things. his mind cant cope when he trys to remember things that conflict with how things happened in his current reality/world/universe/w/e.
as in anna does not exist in comstocks world and never did, so so his mind has to come with some false memory to explain who anna is. its still going to be an unpleasant memory same as before, but it could be anything.

his mind is broken through most of the game, even he doesnt clearly know what he is thinking, thats part of the games plot. so how can you fully understand what booker is thinking, when he himself doesnt for 95% of the game?
---
psn id "rajas".