What does this game have to do with Bioshock?

#1SmithensPosted 10/13/2010 3:20:42 PM
By Bioshock I mean everything affiliated with the first two Bioshock games; Rapture, Andrew Ryan, Jack, Subject Delta, etc. So far I see no connections, aside from the fact that Columbia appears to be exactly like Rapture in terms of dystopia but completely opposite in terms of setting.

So far there has been System Shock, Bioshock, and now this? Shouldn't it be called SkyShock or something?
---
I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany.
#2NoobzorLoLoLoLPosted 10/13/2010 3:42:09 PM
Its gameplay looks incredibly similar to that of Bioshock, whereas the gameplay in Bioshock is only loosely related to System Shock. A game's title is not necessarily defined as an indication of whether or not it is a sequel in terms of story.
---
The sole purpose of this Sig is to taunt Orcus.
#3My_2_centsPosted 10/13/2010 5:56:00 PM
Well seeing as how it is the makers of the same game. Using the name "Bioshock" is just a great marketing strategy to let people know that it is a new game that plays like the other ones they loved.

Take Banjo Nuts and Bolts. People that loved the Banjo games went out and bought the game based on the fact that it was suppose to be a "Banjo" game.
---
GT: Whiteraven101 "My 2 cents" Collection 2.50 cents
#4sanderzincPosted 10/13/2010 6:59:58 PM
There really is no justification other than the Bioshock IP brings in more money and recognition than just another "-shock" game. The title is what it is because the game is another Shock game (NOT another Bioshock game) but is desired to sell as much as a Bioshock sequel.
---
True friends are hard to come by, hard to be and hard to lose.
If you are a Jesus Freak and are 100% proud of it put this in your signature
#5G-ScythePosted 10/13/2010 8:51:20 PM
pretty much everything but rapture. its a pretty big but, but i still think it looks like an awesome game. if they connect it somehow to rapture or ryan than it does deserve the IP 100%. but right now this is more of a spin-off, not Bioshock 3. (thankfully because we wouldn't be able to build a disposal unit big enough to contain all the crap from the fanboys' pants if they called it that)
#6NoobzorLoLoLoLPosted 10/13/2010 9:21:48 PM
I don't get the claims that it's "just" for the marketing angle. Yes, that's part of it, no doubt, but did you watch the gameplay video? Throwing around electrobolts and following up with a shotgun blast, big iconic enemies, the whole economic/political allegory at work with the setting - these are things that feel distinctly "Bioshock" much more than they do "System Shock." So it's not just "another Shock game," it's as they named it - a Bioshock game that isn't a direct story sequel (hence "Infinite" instead of "3"). Nowhere is it written that a game can't have the same title as another if its story is unrelated - the shared title could be a simple reference to similar gameplay and the way the story is presented. The Prince of Persia series did it, Final Fantasy has been doing it pretty much since games were games (along with tons of other long-running RPG franchises), and plenty of others have at least come close by not linking games together in the slightest beyond a shared set of characters (think Devil May Cry, and even then you've only got like one or two characters from older games). Are all of these other games just doing it for brand name recognition? Of course not - there are shared elements beyond story that carry over from one installment in the series to the next that players associate with the brand name (HI I'M CID AND I BUILD AIRSHIPS). Why should Bioshock be any different?

---
The sole purpose of this Sig is to taunt Orcus.
#7dave_is_slickPosted 10/14/2010 10:01:11 AM
I've seen no evidence that the games aren't related and any arguments that it should be named something else are horribly weak.
---
STOP FEEDING THE TROLLS!
President of the TFF: Troll Free Foundation
#8Smithens(Topic Creator)Posted 10/14/2010 3:04:54 PM
By Bioshock I mean everything affiliated with the first two Bioshock games; Rapture, Andrew Ryan, Jack, Subject Delta, etc. So far I see no connections, aside from the fact that Columbia appears to be exactly like Rapture in terms of dystopia but completely opposite in terms of setting.

I suppose I was looking for all of the obvious and literal similarities. I never really looked at the underlying aspects as Noobzor put it; e.g. the politics, plasmids/tonics, utopia-turned-dystopia, etc. It's not exactly a direct sequel to Bioshock (or prequel, looking at the time period it takes place in), but it definitely has all the motifs which made BioShock BioShock.
---
I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany.
#9dave_is_slickPosted 10/14/2010 3:17:10 PM
I suppose I was looking for all of the obvious and literal similarities. I never really looked at the underlying aspects as Noobzor put it; e.g. the politics, plasmids/tonics, utopia-turned-dystopia, etc. It's not exactly a direct sequel to Bioshock (or prequel, looking at the time period it takes place in), but it definitely has all the motifs which made BioShock BioShock.

That's what I meant. Who's to say Rapture's technology isn't based on Columbia?
---
STOP FEEDING THE TROLLS!
President of the TFF: Troll Free Foundation
#10sanderzincPosted 10/14/2010 5:34:57 PM
Noobzor, can't we just get along?

I don't get the claims that it's "just" for the marketing angle. Yes, that's part of it, no doubt, but did you watch the gameplay video? Throwing around electrobolts and following up with a shotgun blast, big iconic enemies, the whole economic/political allegory at work with the setting - these are things that feel distinctly "Bioshock" much more than they do "System Shock."

They feel "Shock". They do not feel "Bioshock" or "System Shock" because, well, they feel both. All of those elements that are present in Bioshock were taken from, and inspired by, System Shock and were the deciding factors behind Bioshock being a "Shock" game and the creation of the Shock series. In other words, those elements (especially the themes) are Shock elements more than they are System Shock or Bioshock. They are iconic to the spiritual franchise, and would fit just as well if the Bioshock IP was dropped in favor of a new IP sporting a Shock title.

Nowhere is it written that a game can't have the same title as another if its story is unrelated - the shared title could be a simple reference to similar gameplay and the way the story is presented.

Absolutely true. Unless, of course, in cases (such as this) where the shared elements have already been established over different IPs (that are spiritually related). Not only that, but (thematically speaking) IPs are paired according to their themes and characters. System Shock and System Shock 2 foil each other thematically, as do Bioshock and Bioshock 2. Infinite has entirely new themes altogether, and seeing as how it contains core Shock elements, but new themes unrelated to a specific Shock IP, it deserves a new Shock name, and maybe even a sequel to foil it.

The Prince of Persia series did it, Final Fantasy has been doing it pretty much since games were games (along with tons of other long-running RPG franchises), and plenty of others have at least come close by not linking games together in the slightest beyond a shared set of characters (think Devil May Cry, and even then you've only got like one or two characters from older games).

The key here is that these IPs retained their cores throughout their main titles, and even improved and developed these cores as the games advanced. The Shock games are artistically focused, and thus have an artistic core - their themes. The cores of the games have always been what themes are included and how they are presented. While all of the themes do share general similarities, they are vastly different. System Shock dealt mainly with technology, for instance. Bioshock did not. Infinite is dealing with patriotic nationalism. Bioshock did not.

Another thing that differentiates the Shock games from the series you mentioned is the titles contained within the Shock series. Bioshock is a different title than System Shock, and this title accompanied different themes with it. Had Bioshock been named System Shock: Rapture, then you would be correct. But it wasn't, and you aren't.

Let me put it this way. It's the Final Fantasy series, and the Prince of Persia series, and the Shock series, not the Bioshock series (I'm speaking artistically; it's soon becoming the Bioshock series for just what I said before: brand recognition).

What you need to do is start seeing System Shock 1 and 2 as part of the same series that Bioshock 1 and 2 are a part of.
---
True friends are hard to come by, hard to be and hard to lose.
If you are a Jesus Freak and are 100% proud of it put this in your signature