Patch

#11Bud2003Posted 3/26/2013 8:20:48 AM
Lol...simple as that, huh? Again, overall companies do a reasonable job identifying and fixing bugs. It is literally impossible for everything be uncovered.

Contrary to what you believe, PC games have been getting patches for decades, this is no different. Games have needed to be updated on a continuous basis for a long time. Relax
#12megaddtdPosted 3/26/2013 8:58:04 AM
JebSkatr2 posted...
TheGreatKoala posted...
I can remember when companies hired game testers and beta testers to get rid of little bugs and glitches

Right...so you would rather we would have had to wait another 2-3 months for testers to get rid of all the bugs before we got to play this game?

Or would you rather download a day one patch that contains bug fixes for bugs discovered during the shipping/distribution period?

I can remember when, even with testers, there were still game breaking bugs but no way to fix them. Unless you were playing on PC which, not surprisingly, had post-launch patches since the late 90s.
#13DevilStriderPosted 3/26/2013 9:32:00 AM
TheGreatKoala posted...
I can remember when companies hired game testers and beta testers to get rid of little bugs and glitches

Most day one patches aren't fixes. Most of them are just to allow the game to show that the new dlc is available.
---
kcypher2000: "Btw i pirate and i don't give a damn what you think about it. At the end of the day you are paying to play what i get for free."
#14innersmokePosted 3/26/2013 9:37:32 AM
Downloading that patch is 4 seconds of my life ill never get back, I might as well just break the disc while I'm at it
---
GT- Innersmoke
#15SkiewolfenPosted 3/29/2013 12:03:41 AM
TheGreatKoala posted...

The fact is that they do have testers who do a great job. Having done games testing in the past, this problem of 'Day One' patches is more down to the publisher laying down unreasonable launch dates that the developers have to meet in order to get the game shipped without having to pay any penalty fees for delays beyond that date.

I've seen it happen time and again where we (the development company) state that it will take X amount of months/years to develop and fully test a game, then the publisher turns round and states that they want it launched by Y date - a date that is a few months (or more) less than the time frame we had quoted them. This then means that the most critical bugs and issues get caught first and fixed, whereas the far smaller ones that can't make it in before the cutoff date have to be rolled into an update during the disk print & distribution time - resulting in a patch on launch day.

So don't blame the developer or the testers - blame the publishers who are the real problem here.
#16BTzzPosted 3/29/2013 12:08:41 AM
I remember when games released with unfixable glitches

GLORY DAYS MAN
#17ghosta2Posted 3/29/2013 12:38:25 AM
Skiewolfen posted...
TheGreatKoala posted...

The fact is that they do have testers who do a great job. Having done games testing in the past, this problem of 'Day One' patches is more down to the publisher laying down unreasonable launch dates that the developers have to meet in order to get the game shipped without having to pay any penalty fees for delays beyond that date.

I've seen it happen time and again where we (the development company) state that it will take X amount of months/years to develop and fully test a game, then the publisher turns round and states that they want it launched by Y date - a date that is a few months (or more) less than the time frame we had quoted them. This then means that the most critical bugs and issues get caught first and fixed, whereas the far smaller ones that can't make it in before the cutoff date have to be rolled into an update during the disk print & distribution time - resulting in a patch on launch day.

So don't blame the developer or the testers - blame the publishers who are the real problem here.

I would lie and add extra time so that when they cut the time frame it's actually the one you want.

also a lot of glitches occur only under specific circumstances that a tester might not think to try.

It was very unlikely that a tester would have found the kvatch horseback merchant glitch as that is a very specific set of circumstances to test.
---
"What is better. To be born good or to overcome your evil nature through great effort." - Paarthurnax
Gt: Ghosta2