Next Bioshock should have a Communist theme

#1MG42_CHEFPosted 3/29/2013 12:32:06 AM
Should the next Bioshock have a focus on the Communist based economy/society and should the time period be Cold War era? - Results (10 votes)
Communism/Cold War
50% (5 votes)
Non-communism/Not Cold war
0% (0 votes)
Communism/Not Cold War
20% (2 votes)
Non-communism/Cold war
10% (1 votes)
Neither
20% (2 votes)
This poll is now closed.
I was just thinking today about the next setting of Bioshock and what the focus on which societal system would be the theme. It would be the next logical step considering we have covered unfettered capitalism and fanatical devotion to religion, communism would make sense and the Cold War era would be an interesting set piece. Maybe a city in America that was testing the idea of communism and whether it was plausible or not.

And no, I am not ready to move on so hastily from this game, it is an excellent edition into the Bioshock series.
---
"I loved throwing cans of flatulance at people sitting in corners. Even the hitmarker noise sounded like a fart. I will also miss those days." -aj4x94
#2BTzzPosted 3/29/2013 12:35:52 AM(edited)
Wasn't that Bioshock 2?

I don't think political themes are their future. Early footage of Infinite suggested it could be a take on capitalism or patriotism in general, but I never got the feel that it was a big focus. Columbia was just a dictatorship.
#3David_741Posted 3/29/2013 12:39:17 AM(edited)
Well Bioshock 2 was an extreme Collectivsm society although more focussed on people anything else.

Too be honest, it is too expected.

A Communist society failing? No surpise there.
I'd be more impressed if they actually made a Marxist uptoia...that worked.

At least with the Objectism in Bioshock 1 has never been seen in the real world.
---
FC: 5286 0685 2561
#4David_741Posted 3/29/2013 12:38:37 AM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#5MG42_CHEF(Topic Creator)Posted 3/29/2013 12:45:53 AM
THIS POST MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS READ AT YOUR OWN DISCRETION

Bioshock 2 was actually more cultist than communistic. It was Lamb as a leader/dictator/politician as she played Miss Psych major with all of the psychologically broken splicers and essentially controlled them.

Bioshock 1 was Ryan who did not want to be a dictator was forced to take action. Fontaine simply wanted it all, he just was a parasite, a direct opposite to Ryan and stole his dream.

Infinite sees Columbia a city that is capitalistic in nature but at its core is founded on morality of the Christian religion, but is taken to a fanatical devotion to the founders of America and their ideals. Comstock controls the people as a prophet, a priest of the people that hands down 'God's law' which is simply the Lutece's work in quantum physics that allow for a hypothesis of possible outcomes. This is used to prove that he is a prophet and is trustworthy.
---
"I loved throwing cans of flatulance at people sitting in corners. Even the hitmarker noise sounded like a fart. I will also miss those days." -aj4x94
#6BTzzPosted 3/29/2013 12:47:05 AM
I don't think Columbia was capitalistic at all. Never got that sense. Everything on the business side was controlled by Comstock or Fink.
#7MG42_CHEF(Topic Creator)Posted 3/29/2013 12:49:31 AM
David_741 posted...
Well Bioshock 2 was an extreme Collectivsm society although more focussed on people anything else.

Too be honest, it is too expected.

A Communist society failing? No surpise there.
I'd be more impressed if they actually made a Marxist uptoia...that worked.

At least with the Objectism in Bioshock 1 has never been seen in the real world.

I should have allowed for that option as well. But if that were the case, it would be more interesting as a book than a video game, unless you came to ruin it which would be really fun to do.

I was thinking that the messages from each game is that excess leads to ruination in general, so they show what happens to a completely communistic society falls and what it degenerates into.
---
#8David_741Posted 3/29/2013 12:52:07 AM
Yeah theres a voxaphone that says that 50% of what everyone makes goes to Comstock.

Columbia is pretty much a society ruled by Comstock distorted brand of Christianity.
---
FC: 5286 0685 2561
#9MG42_CHEF(Topic Creator)Posted 3/29/2013 12:52:26 AM
BTzz posted...
I don't think Columbia was capitalistic at all. Never got that sense. Everything on the business side was controlled by Comstock or Fink.

Well there was a market based economy. There are many stores with cash registers that are independent of Fink/ Comstock. Comstock did demand a 50% tithe from everyone's bank accounts but there was capitalism because that is what the founders had envisioned. It just turned out that the President of Columbia was a jesuit and 'asked' for the good and fair people of Columbia to pay their part.
---