Something I didn't understand about the ending. (SPOILERS)

#1zaccman922Posted 3/30/2013 12:07:55 AM
The only thing that separates Booker from Comstock is that one of them was baptized and the other wasn't. So why does such a small event change Booker enough to turn him into the cold villain, Comstock?
#2Coelacanth88Posted 3/30/2013 12:09:23 AM
Because religion can cause you to do crazy things, apparently.
#3Red_PlushiePosted 3/30/2013 12:10:13 AM
Comstock is overzealous in religion. Plus this and the exposure to time-traveling to alternate timelines.
---
Stuff Goes Here.
#4Van_ReddPosted 3/30/2013 12:10:49 AM
Both men do bad things and both become bad people in different ways.

Another way to put things is that one pivotal change leads to more changes and more choices and more divergence.
---
I survived Raccoon City.
XBox Live: Van Redd
#5Negi0307Posted 3/30/2013 12:17:52 AM
Booker burns his money in Gambling since he is a damaged soldier and then later loses his wife. Comstock is a religious nut who seems to be searching for some almighty truth then meets Lutece he probably had alot of money available maybe some from wounded knee and others from other events after the split. Both are a damaged man to some degree. the ending is just one of many possibilities with the remaining Booker's.
---
GT Paradox Reverse PSN Akabra0307 Currently playing Black ops 2 Dark Souls Dead Space 1-2-3 Bioshock Infinite Tomb Raider Heart of the Swarm
#6zaccman922(Topic Creator)Posted 3/30/2013 12:38:21 AM
I have another question then. Is Lady Comstock the same woman that gives birth to Anna in Booker's universe?
#7Van_ReddPosted 3/30/2013 1:57:12 AM
It is very likely, though I don't think the game states either way if that is true or not.
---
I survived Raccoon City.
XBox Live: Van Redd
#8JanwayDaahlPosted 3/30/2013 2:03:28 AM
zaccman922 posted...
I have another question then. Is Lady Comstock the same woman that gives birth to Anna in Booker's universe?

It's possible, though never confirmed.

If I recall correctly, comstock was rendered infertile by the Lutece's tests, so I'm guessing that was, in part, his motivation for getting "his" child from Booker (in addition to the whole tear-power thing).
---
I do not support homosexuality in any way.
#9CalmJesterPosted 3/30/2013 2:12:56 AM
zaccman922 posted...
The only thing that separates Booker from Comstock is that one of them was baptized and the other wasn't. So why does such a small event change Booker enough to turn him into the cold villain, Comstock?

Maybe when he was baptised he got close enough to drowning to have a Near Death Experience? (The archangel?) Because otherwise, I suppose, the floating city kinda came out of nowhere.
#10JanwayDaahlPosted 3/30/2013 4:08:08 AM
CalmJester posted...
zaccman922 posted...

Maybe when he was baptised he got close enough to drowning to have a Near Death Experience? (The archangel?) Because otherwise, I suppose, the floating city kinda came out of nowhere.

This is an interesting point you raise, since Comstock is obviously a fraud. I doubt he had any sincere religious experiences, in the long term, though he may have been temporarily given hope.

To answer your question OP, I believe that both versions of Booker are cold humans at the core. It's just that Booker lamented his sins in drinks, vice, and gambling, while Comstock became even more cold in his pursuit of power.

In effect, the baptism probably made him into an even worse human than he was in the long term. At least that is my take on it.
---
I do not support homosexuality in any way.