CliffyB feels Bioshock Infinite is too violent.

#1CycknessPosted 4/5/2013 8:27:22 AM
You heard right.

http://dudehugespeaks.tumblr.com/post/47064613574/shocking-isnt-it-bioshock-spoilers-ahead

So, the guy that brought you a chainsaw gun would now like to get on his soap box about violence. Have fun judging me.

This is one of the few games that Iíve loved that I felt the violence actually detracted from the experience. The first time I dug my skyhook into someone I actually winced. I love shocking people in these games (itís not called BioShootBeesAtThem) and I found that nearly every foe I zapped to death had their heads explode, Gallagher style. After the 400th head I was like ďcome on, already!Ē

Funny, right? That Iíd say that? I know, itís weird. Maybe itís the fact that they did such a fantastic job of making this nuanced world that hitting you over the head with those moments felt out of place for me.

Now just so you know, the rest of the blog is pretty much nothing but unfettered praise for the game, so Cliff isn't trying to bash it... but I do think the violence complaints are worth examining and talking about.

My opinion? The ultra-violence serves as a great tonal shift to the initial beauty of Columbia and it also serves as a strong character development tool for Elizabeth. CiffyB complains that the violence in comparison to such a beautiful world is jarring... well, that is kind of the point? Right?

I love ClffyB but he talks too much sometimes.
---
PSN: FuriousGeorge3
"The ice man cometh, Sander Baby... The ice man ******* cometh"
#2TsunamiRoarPosted 4/5/2013 8:28:22 AM
The ultra-violence serves as a great tonal shift to the initial beauty of Columbia and it also serves as a strong character development tool for Elizabeth.

Read the CliffyB segment yesterday, and came into the topic to express an opinion similar to yours.
---
But Mommy, I don't want to go to school today. I want to stay home and bake cookies with you
#3xGenocidestPosted 4/5/2013 8:43:57 AM
The violence just sets the mood. Compared to what he did in Wounded Knee and in the Pinkertons, Columbia was sunshine and rainbows.

Without the violence it'd just feel.. too happy. The first Bioschock had that dark atmosphere as soon as you that that first Splicer. Big Daddies and enclosed spaces kept it going.

I think they tried to bring that back with the Boys of Silence, but that's just a small part. The violence just keeps it grounded. You might be in a city in the clouds, but at least when you shoot people blood comes out and not rainbows.

And besides.. he could.. not melee execute people? Not necessary, as a regular melee hit will kill them just the same.
---
All Hell can't stop us now.
#4Kant_Remoob_EhtPosted 4/5/2013 8:45:10 AM
xGenocidest posted...
The violence just sets the mood. Compared to what he did in Wounded Knee and in the Pinkertons, Columbia was sunshine and rainbows.

Without the violence it'd just feel.. too happy. The first Bioschock had that dark atmosphere as soon as you that that first Splicer. Big Daddies and enclosed spaces kept it going.

I think they tried to bring that back with the Boys of Silence, but that's just a small part. The violence just keeps it grounded. You might be in a city in the clouds, but at least when you shoot people blood comes out and not rainbows.

And besides.. he could.. not melee execute people? Not necessary, as a regular melee hit will kill them just the same.

The game doesn't seem that violent.... I think Gears is more violent.
---
GT: Boomer and Tank
You do good, people will hate. You do bad, people will hate. You just sit there, people will hate. Welcome to the COD community.
#5wwinterj25Posted 4/5/2013 8:46:24 AM
Yeah because Gears isn't violent at all.
Any type of war is Violent. Gears shows this as does Bioshock.
---
One who knows nothing can understand nothing - GamerTag: wwinterj/PSN wwinterj
#6EternityUnknownPosted 4/5/2013 8:49:44 AM
Yeah because Gears isn't violent at all.

He's well aware of the irony, hence the first line of the quote.
---
This guy are always sick. No, way? Off course! That's how touph he is... beacause he is... a puppet...
#7SunDevil77Posted 4/5/2013 8:50:39 AM
I love CliffyB. But to me, he seems like an eccentric genius. He's great at what he does, but he doesn't know how to handle a lot of his ideals publicly.
---
I hate listening to dreams. It's like flipping through a stack of pictures. If I'm not in any of them, and nobody's having sex, I just...don't care
#8GodSlayer66Posted 4/5/2013 9:05:55 AM
The complaint is not that out of place. Gears of War is violent and that violence is part of the games identity. You could argue that it's not that necessary in this game and could take away from the experience. It's not hypocrite or any of the sort for him to complain about it.

You could say that the violence is there to show how gruesome war and murder is. Oh please that's almost never the case in a video game. The violence is there mainly for entertainment.
---
This post is now 20% cooler.
#9JigglybuffPosted 4/5/2013 9:06:05 AM
Kant_Remoob_Eht posted...
xGenocidest posted...

The game doesn't seem that violent.... I think Gears is more violent.

He wasn't comparing the violence in gears to the violence in infinite
He actually makes a very good point. I love violence and gore, but even I thought the exploding heads and disentigrating bodies were way out of left field for a bioshock game. He isjt bashing the violence, just stating it really doesn't fit tje game.
Whicj I kinda agree with
---
IRON. CLAD. CONTRACT.
#10slayerxelitePosted 4/5/2013 9:08:24 AM
He is right in a way. Its not the violence he is complaining about, its how it is presented in the game and how it doesnt really fit properly.
---
"You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious." - Obi-Wan Kenobi talking about GameFAQs