So Songbird... (minor spoilers)

#1aheroafakePosted 4/28/2013 9:18:52 PM
Is anyone else disappointed that we never actually got to fight it? In all of the pre-release trailers, they made it seem like Songbird was going to be a boss fight. Well, at least that's how I interpreted some of those videos. But considering how much the final game has changed compared to its pre-release trailers, I'm not surprised. I just want to know if others wanted to fight it as much as I did.
---
| Undead Soldier | Undead Army | Undead Hollywood |
| Xbox Live Gamertag: Capatan Azn Man | Always using my phone's browser, excuse the spelling mistakes |
#2SunsprayHoneyPosted 4/28/2013 9:31:58 PM
Yes. Any kind of in-game encounter to make me feel the threat of the Songbird would've been nice. But then again there's a lot about this game I'd change if I could. The Songbird is just one of many.
---
I couldn't fix your brakes so I just made the horn a lot louder.
#3True RunePosted 4/28/2013 11:51:34 PM
Yes, I'd have LOVED an encounter with Songbird, even if it was "unwinnable" and he just moved on after X amount of time/deaths.
---
It took hundreds to kill me, but I killed humans by the THOUSANDS!!! Look at me!!! I am sublime!! I am the TRUE face of evil!!!
#4NotQuiteAFreakPosted 4/29/2013 5:31:10 AM
Yep, honestly it's the thing that bugs me most about the game for me. It wasn't just the pre-release trailers too, they spend all this time bulding up how intimidating he his with when you encounter him throughout the game. And then what? She just zaps him away? Talk about shoddy climaxes.
---
Not changing sig till we get a sequel to Freedom Fighters.
Started 13/4/2010
#5BlueKnuxPosted 4/29/2013 5:39:37 AM
Nah, that thing was huge and insane looking. I didn't want any part of it. Also, the expectations for it were a bit everywhere for me. On one hand, the fight could have been an expansive battle in an area with lots of rails and open space because Songbird has been shown to be while huge, insanely agile in the air. It would have made the fight a pain simply because Songbird would have been insane to target. The only other option to curve that would be to put it on a rails type flight system where it would have followed a pattern and that experience would have been hollow. Leaving this thing out of a boss battle and making it more entity than enemy was perfectly fine for me.
---
"The normal make a living. The deranged make history." - Christopher Titus
"A conservative is a liberal that has never been mugged." - Julie, The Maxx
#6L0rdCrumpPosted 4/29/2013 6:48:35 AM
Maybe a mission where the songbird stalks you throughout the level. It would be indoors so every time it pops up, it won't be at full power and you can fend it off until it flies away. After cleverly dodging it throughout the level, you finally have your showdown outside where its flying around at full power. Booker would have to get the anti-air guns to work to damage it. Though, I don't even think that will be enough after seeing it tear through zeppelins and airships like nothing.
---
|--|o\/o|-|~ Can't let you do that, Star Fox!~~~|
|--\_O/--|~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~|
#7TwilightEchoesPosted 4/29/2013 8:42:49 AM(edited)
I agree.

I wouldn't want it to be a toe-to-toe fight. There's no way Booker could win against something that strong and fast, but something to make him a threat in gameplay. Something as simple as an instant-death spotlight segment or a chase sequence or anything like that would have been good.

I mean as it is, he's completely absent for like half of the game's total span and all his appearances and interactions are scripted set-pieces save for one part at the end.
---
[Insert an "[Insert witty saying or joke]" sig here]
#8aheroafake(Topic Creator)Posted 4/29/2013 10:48:52 AM
Its attributes were rather intimidating, I'll agree but actually defeating it, I think, would have given anyone an immense sense of accomplishment. It just felt like a slap in the face from Irrational Games that we didn't get to fight it after how much they played it up. There are tons of games that have bosses that seem impossible to beat but there's always a way. If they made a Songbird boss battle optional, would that help? It could be like Resident Evil 3: Nemesis where some encounters with him had the option to either choose to fight him or you could run away. I guess it doesn't really matter because Songbird was <spoilers> killed by Elizabeth at end of the game</spoilers> but still. It was just a thought.

I'm just saying that it was a huge disappointment that we couldn't fight it. I think it would have been tons of fun. Hell, there's tons of encounters in Infinite where you were overwhelmed by enemies, especially in the boss battles against <spoilers>the Siren</spoilers>. It just seems like to me, Songbird's potential was completely wasted.
---
| Undead Soldier | Undead Army | Undead Hollywood |
| Xbox Live Gamertag: Capatan Azn Man | Always using my phone's browser, excuse the spelling mistakes |
#9DarkKirby2500Posted 4/29/2013 11:01:58 AM(edited)
I was expecting to have to shoot its eye since its the same as the Handymen. Really, by the end of the game where I was pwning Handymen, I had no fear of the Songbird, they didn't even give me a chance to fight it.

The entire ending of the game felt like it was rushed to wrap everything up and end the game, which by the way, still had plot holes regardless.

---
1. The only fool bigger than the person who knows it all is the person who argues with him. 2. They're all complacent sheeple.
<==]-<(-_o)>-[==>
#10yumekoPosted 4/29/2013 10:59:29 AM
I never watched the trailers and I still felt like that, throughout the game, Songbird was built up and still did not have enough of a roll. I don't mind not fighting it, I just wished they had expanded on his purpose or made him more relevant than a big bird that stalks Elizabeth.

And I also wouldn't have minded at least losing to Songbird-- after the final battle, I don't expect to beat him. Would've been epic if they built up the whole 'you can never beat him' feeling with a battle you can 'technically' win, but still ends with you ultimately being defeated.
---
[[Proud Member of the Three Yusketeers!]]
"you can press X to baptize them or B to drown them so they can better appreciate air." -LuckyLuke2346