I've got a Bioshock question

#1GUNBLADEMESSIAHPosted 10/21/2013 8:33:29 PM
I got both the Rapture Edition [w/the first 2 games] & Infinite for my birthday and I'm wondering if I have to play the first 2 to play Infinite. I know it's stand alone from the other games but are there references that I'd miss otherwise?
---
Gamertag - vagrantmessiah
#2rdh80Posted 10/22/2013 1:00:42 AM
I would suggest playing the first one beforehand, because there are parts of Infinite that will be more enjoyable if you do, in terms of references. Plus it's great to compare the two and look at all the thematic similarities and such.

As for the second one, I'd say pass on that. While the gameplay is certainly good and a bit more refined from the first one, the story is lacking compared to Bioshock 1 and Infinite. Furthermore, it is debatable as to whether Bioshock 2 is even canon, as the creator (Ken Levine) had no involvement with it.

In short, play Bioshock 1 before Infinite, and if you feel like it, play Bioshock 2 as well, though 2 is not required.
---
"I avoided the major arteries. He'll probably live." - Wesley Wyndam-Pryce
#3G-B0nePosted 10/24/2013 9:11:37 PM
Ken Levine came up with the core concept/story of bioshock 2
#4VampLordAdamaruPosted 10/25/2013 2:46:08 PM
The general recommended order of play is:

BioShock -> BioShock Infinite -> BioShock 2.
---
Founder - IRDC AND Fluffy the Friendly Deathclaw Fanclub
ULCE#: 9,426 of 53,160; Misty is mine!
#5AlleRacingPosted 10/28/2013 10:31:07 AM
I definitely recommend playing Bioshock 2. It easily has the best game play in the series, the most story choices and endings.
---
http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/8325/scrunchface2copyfx0.png
http://www.xboxlc.com/cards/default/alle5.jpg
#6vashdastaPosted 11/2/2013 3:08:53 AM(edited)
if you can afford it the bioshock 2 dlc minervas den is one of my personal favorite dlcs ever (next to alan wake: the writer chapter and duke nukem forever: the doctor who cloned me).
#7VampLordAdamaruPosted 11/2/2013 3:53:13 AM
vashdasta posted...
if you can afford it the bioshock 2 dlc minervas den is one of my personal favorite dlcs ever (next to alan wake: the writer chapter and duke nukem forever: the doctor who cloned me).

Nice thing about Ultimate Rapture Edition is that it has both BS1 and 2 and ALL of the DLC for both games, plus a few little things added, like a concept art "museum," AND a NG+ option for both games (which was never available on 360 previously), and it's only $30. :3

I already had BS1 and the DLC, but I got the URE for BS2, its DLC, NG+, and the additional features. WORTH IT! :D
---
Founder - IRDC AND Fluffy the Friendly Deathclaw Fanclub
ULCE#: 9,426 of 53,160; Misty is mine!
#8ssj_duelistPosted 11/2/2013 5:14:45 AM(edited)
BS2 is easily my favourite of the 3. Best gameplay by far.