Mission 4 help

#1KuBePosted 9/4/2011 2:52:02 AM
I'm having a lot of trouble on the 4th mission, the one where you partner with Keith Preston to build up industry. I build about 4 Canneries at the beginning to get the Coffee out, but I'm always starved for workers. Yet at the same time I have a huge unemployment problem among my uneducated citizens because I can't build farms to give them jobs. Can anyone just give me some basic pointers on how to get this one going?
---
When I hear that trumpet sound, I'm gonna rise right of out the ground.
Ain't no grave can hold my body down
#2AsellusPosted 9/4/2011 3:12:31 AM
... why 4 canneries? Your dependent upon imports for raw materials in the mission and each incoming ship can only bring up to 500 of any particular resource. If you build multiple types of the same kind of factory they're going to wind up starved unless you have a ton of docks.

Other than that just make sure you don't go into debt since importing raw materials counts as buying stuff and if you're below 10,000 you won't be able to bring in stuff, your factories won't be able to produce anything, and you'll probably sink like a rock.
#3FlailsnailPosted 9/4/2011 7:22:29 AM
For starters, you do not need more than two canneries. Any more and you're hamstringing yourself. Build a second dock and those two canneries will operate at peak capacity until coffee prices plummet later in the mission.

As for your unemployment problem, there are other businesses than farms. Build a logging yard, for example. Leading eventually into a furniture factory. There are three buildings in that industry track, creating plenty of jobs.

If you have too many citizens to support with jobs, build an immigration building and forbid immigration for a while to cut down on the influx of workers you do not need.
#4KuBe(Topic Creator)Posted 9/4/2011 1:20:50 PM
Thanks, I'll cut down on the Canneries then. Other than logging sites, are there any other buildings that provide jobs to the uneducated?

Also on Logging/Ranches. Do they have to be a certain distance from each other to work? I've tried clustering Ranches together, but only a few will start exporting.
---
When I hear that trumpet sound, I'm gonna rise right of out the ground.
Ain't no grave can hold my body down
#5Whippet_basicPosted 9/4/2011 2:17:04 PM
What this game really needs is a list of who works at what building in the build screen. For uneducated people, certain low level entertainment places like pubs and restaurants will do. Construction offices and teamsters use up a fair number of uneducated people - but only men IIRC. Check the list section of your almanac to see who is unemployed.

One thing to watch for (which I found in this mission). Check your teamster building(s) to ensure you have enough people working there. I found some of my production places weren't producing anything because there weren't enough people to pick up the goods.
#6AsellusPosted 9/5/2011 8:49:57 AM
Most of the raw resource production buildings use uneducated workers, doesn't help much though in this mission given you can't really produce anything but lumber.

Really though, don't worry about it. I'd suggest maybe making the first thing you build a high school, after that just start making one of each type of factory (again being careful about ever falling into debt, I failed the mission twice before I figured out why my income would suddenly evaporate). If you've got open immigration you should never be short on educateable workers.

If you'd like a nice bit of extra money you can also ally with a super power and then lease out both of your colonial forts as dungeons for an effortless extra $10,000 a year. You just have to be careful about not annoying any foreign power too much though since you're dependent upon imports and getting embargoed by anyone will really hurt you. Ie, if you ally with the US set your diplomatic office to pro-ussr and make sure the communists at home are happy with you.

Construction offices and teamsters use up a fair number of uneducated people - but only men IIRC

No, women can work in construction too.

Check your teamster building(s) to ensure you have enough people working there. I found some of my production places weren't producing anything because there weren't enough people to pick up the goods.

Just always pay your teamsters, builders, and dock workers a bit over the minimum wage to ensure those jobs will always be the first filled.