Luxury Goods a trap?

#1ElTikiPosted 9/20/2011 10:48:17 AM
Had a good island going and decided to experiment with luxury goods. They were expensive, created huge traffic issues, and they didn't do my citizens any good. No change to entertainment happiness, no filling of entertainment need, and they were still obsessed with visiting the shopping mall. I set the entry fee so high only my college educated could use it and they just kept going back again and again, so it's not a 1/life thing.

So does anyone have any ideas what they're good for? Why do citizens demand luxury goods when it doesn't seem to do anything for them? Aside from tourism (in which case I'd set the fee so high none of my citizens could use it) is there any point to Shopping Malls?
#2SneakykillaPosted 9/28/2011 5:16:55 PM
Luxury goods only go the shopping mall and it raises your peoples happiness as they like to buy useless consummerism stuff like we all do. That's the only use those goods are for.
---
http://www.1up.com/do/my1Up?publicUserId=5641901
#3cwjakesteelPosted 9/29/2011 6:01:46 PM
If you look at your people's thoughts they'll think "Satisfying food, work, fun, sleep, faith and luxury goods." SATISFY THEM.
---
If you believe in Jesus Christ, have accepted him as lord and savior, and are 100% proud, put this in your sig.
#4thrice00Posted 10/6/2011 11:10:04 AM

Did you manage to ever make profit with a shopping mall??? I don'tconstruct them anymore... it's a sinkhole.

#5iIIuminatiPosted 10/6/2011 6:57:29 PM(edited)
Setting mine to Outlet made it profitable:
http://img69.imageshack.us/img69/8865/tropico4201110061802547.jpg

---
It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.
#6thrice00Posted 10/7/2011 5:51:36 AM

Nice maybe my fees where too high.

#7cwjakesteelPosted 10/7/2011 3:02:29 PM
5.3 MILLION pesos?!?

That would be believable if it weren't.....1989!!!!!

You used cheats no?
---
If you believe in Jesus Christ, have accepted him as lord and savior, and are 100% proud, put this in your sig.
#8iIIuminatiPosted 10/7/2011 3:22:36 PM
Haha, type in the money cheat 50 times for giggles?
No, no I'm just a pro-capitalism kind of fascist dictator:
http://img217.imageshack.us/img217/2457/tropico420111007trade.jpg

---
It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.
#9ElTiki(Topic Creator)Posted 10/11/2011 10:00:20 AM
@ Sneakykilla: how do luxury goods raise happiness? I've followed dozens of citizens walking into the mall and when they get done they are in no way happier. None of their bars go up, even the fun bar. And it has no effect on entertainment rating or respect either.

The whole point of my post was that I found no beneficial effect from luxury goods. They don't satisfy any needs, they don't contribute to any scores, nothing. Yeah, I know my citizens will think 'I want luxury goods' from time to time, but ignoring that 'need' doesn't seem to have any downside. Fulfilling that need has several huge downsides but no upside.

So, are luxury goods worthless? Bugged? Or can someone tell me specifically what good they do other than filling a random need from people that has no effect on them?
#10cwjakesteelPosted 10/11/2011 4:27:47 PM(edited)
42 unemployed? I always have zero unemployed because I can never get enough people to work for me! (at least, at the rate I grow). My average pay is 25. Income disparity is 20%. 75% is HUGE. fascist >_>

Also, I agree, luxory goods should have a much bigger impact on this game. I'm surprised that changing the quotas you have on imports doesn't affect relationships with the US.
---