Framerate

#11Bob the AlmightyPosted 4/1/2012 1:22:25 AM
izza20 posted...
Suprised no one has mentioned this... the framerate in the ps3 demo is not reflective of the final product. It runs unlocked, without v-sync, and goes all over the place. The final game is capped at 30fps and runs with v-sync. It drops a bit here and there, but for the most part it's pretty smooth.

If by "pretty smooth" you mean "the worst version of the game available," than yeah. There's no excuse for the PS3 version to run worse than the 360 version since it's "running on the Mass Effect 3 engine," but I guess since the PS3 version of ME3 is a joke compared to the 360 version than I guess that makes sense.

The audio skips on ME 3 and DA 2 on PS3 also, so this is not a ME 2 exclusive issue.

I mean all three games are completely playable and I've beaten the PS3 versions of each game and had a great time. However that was in spite of the bad port jobs for all of Bioware's PS3 efforts. I've played quite a bit of Mass Effect 2 and Dragon Age: Origins on 360 now and I can tell you that they are like entirely new games when compared to the PS3 versions. If the PS3 versions are your only option than you just have to deal with it. If you can overlook the PS3-exclusive issues that's awesome. But you're doing yourself no favors by picking the PS3 versions over the PC or 360.

It's not like the PS3 versions are dog crap, but they are the worst versions of the games. There's just no denying that. They are completely playable and you'll be able to finish each of the games to the end. However you're getting an 8.5 out of 10 experience instead of a 9.5 out of 10 with the other versions.

And that is 100% truth - no fanboy BS period. The PS3 is my favorite gaming console right now (mainly because of amazing exclusives and Blu-Ray) and I play PS3 a hundred times more often than 360 but the games are simply better and less glitchy on the 360. And if you have a decent gaming rig or are just a PC gamer in general than the PC versions are so much better it's not even funny.

And the PS3 version suffers from horrible frame rate drops, just like every other Bioware PS3 game (DA Origins, Mass Effect 3, and Dragon Age 2). At points it's like a slide show. It's not very often but it happens and the 360 version at its worst frame rate is 99% better than the PS3 version's at its best. I mean it's not even up for debate. It's a fact. Don't believe me than look up YouTube videos, message boards, and reviews (both professional and user). That doesn't mean you can't have a hell of a good time with the PS3 versions though. I sure as heck did but replaying them on 360 is like experiencing entirely new games.
---
You were the lightning in that rain. You can still shine through the darkness.
#12IHeartJessAlbaPosted 4/2/2012 3:46:12 AM
Bob the Almighty posted...
And the PS3 version suffers from horrible frame rate drops, just like every other Bioware PS3 game (DA Origins, Mass Effect 3, and Dragon Age 2). At points it's like a slide show. It's not very often but it happens and the 360 version at its worst frame rate is 99% better than the PS3 version's at its best. I mean it's not even up for debate. It's a fact. Don't believe me than look up YouTube videos, message boards, and reviews (both professional and user). That doesn't mean you can't have a hell of a good time with the PS3 versions though. I sure as heck did but replaying them on 360 is like experiencing entirely new games.

Yeah, uh, what? No. I'm not sure what sickly system you're playing on, but the ONLY time I've ever seen frame drops were during cutscenes, and ever then, it was maybe a stutter or two. I'll give you that there's a lot of issues with lip-sync, and audio cut-out, but to act like this game is a slideshow is just false.

Yes, there are very occasional frame rate drops during cutscenes. It never once occurred during actual play-time (active battles), for me though. There are instances when moving through hub worlds where the game loads a new area, and as you walk through the doorway, the screen sort of pops for a split second. That doesn't impede you any more than when a door opens slowly and you can't walk through it immediately, and it doesn't equal "slideshow" either.

Does this game need work? Absolutely. But please don't act like this version is pre-1.4 Skyrim or something. As far as ports go, this is substantially better than most all existing ports. It is nowhere NEAR as bad as you guys are making it out to be, either. In fact, I've seen this game cited multiple times, by many different people, as one of the go-to games when looking for a good port job.

Now, whether you're specifically labeling one experience of one DA title across all BioWare games on PS3 or not, I can't tell, as this is the only one you've mentioned that I've played. But really, don't just completely turn to hyperbole when someone is asking about how good this version is.

The exact lowdown: are you going to throw your controller through a wall because someone wasn't given the correct mouth animation for like 8 syllables in a row, or if you sprint through a city, and on your way into a nightclub, you stop for 0.2 seconds so the game can make sure the assets are loaded (you know, like in 99% of the games from this time)? Will you absolutely cry foul because you paused the game in the middle of a battle, while someone began talking, and they didn't always finish speaking their sentence when you unpaused the game? Occasional camera angles where the characters might intersect in unnatural ways during a dialogue scene?

If you answered yes to any of these questions, then don't play Mass Effect period. The only issues "plaguing" the PS3 version are the same ones on the other version, but I guess they stand out more because something something something dark side.
---
psn - wokeupinapanic
#13JimmeyBurrows(Topic Creator)Posted 4/2/2012 4:51:45 AM

Well after all, I decided i'd move to the ps3 version for the 2nd one... Using a controller with the pc version isn't very good. mouse and keyboard worked well with the first one, animations are nice and smooth using it, unlike the demo of the second one, which makes the character change direction instantly without and smooth transition.

This would have been a much easier decision if they'd just added controller support to the pc version, but as with their ports they don't seem to want to bother too much.

@IHeartJessAlba It's good to hear it doesn't seem too bad, although i'm not sure if that's with ME2 or ME3, I haven't actually heard anyone give a good review about ME3 on ps3 yet, hoping by the time i get to that one they'll have improved it a bit, but you shouldn't dismiss what Bob_the_Almight has to say if you haven't played the game on another system like he has.

Hopefully I wont get to mad about it, since one of the games I most enjoy on the ps3 is Heavenly Sword and that had some pretty nasty framerate drops from time to time.

Thanks again for the input guys.

#14poopninjamvc3mkPosted 4/9/2012 1:02:25 PM
IHeartJessAlba posted...
Bob the Almighty posted...

Yeah, uh, what? No. I'm not sure what sickly system you're playing on, but the ONLY time I've ever seen frame drops were during cutscenes, and ever then, it was maybe a stutter or two. I'll give you that there's a lot of issues with lip-sync, and audio cut-out, but to act like this game is a slideshow is just false.

Yes, there are very occasional frame rate drops during cutscenes. It never once occurred during actual play-time (active battles), for me though. There are instances when moving through hub worlds where the game loads a new area, and as you walk through the doorway, the screen sort of pops for a split second. That doesn't impede you any more than when a door opens slowly and you can't walk through it immediately, and it doesn't equal "slideshow" either.

Does this game need work? Absolutely. But please don't act like this version is pre-1.4 Skyrim or something. As far as ports go, this is substantially better than most all existing ports. It is nowhere NEAR as bad as you guys are making it out to be, either. In fact, I've seen this game cited multiple times, by many different people, as one of the go-to games when looking for a good port job.

Now, whether you're specifically labeling one experience of one DA title across all BioWare games on PS3 or not, I can't tell, as this is the only one you've mentioned that I've played. But really, don't just completely turn to hyperbole when someone is asking about how good this version is.

The exact lowdown: are you going to throw your controller through a wall because someone wasn't given the correct mouth animation for like 8 syllables in a row, or if you sprint through a city, and on your way into a nightclub, you stop for 0.2 seconds so the game can make sure the assets are loaded (you know, like in 99% of the games from this time)? Will you absolutely cry foul because you paused the game in the middle of a battle, while someone began talking, and they didn't always finish speaking their sentence when you unpaused the game? Occasional camera angles where the characters might intersect in unnatural ways during a dialogue scene?

If you answered yes to any of these questions, then don't play Mass Effect period. The only issues "plaguing" the PS3 version are the same ones on the other version, but I guess they stand out more because something something something dark side.

This guy speaks the truth and only the truth.
---
WelcometoPlaystation where daplayersplay,and360sredring likeeveryday. Bigfeatures hitexclusives,seehaterstrollin,and CODdon'tstoptill8indamorning.-Starbucks_Fan