Haven't played a HoMnM game since 3, how's 6?

#1WyrmcraftPosted 6/24/2012 2:16:31 AM
Loved 3, eager for 6, anything I should know before I dive right into the game?
---
Opera is just perfectly good classical music interspersed with incessant yodeling
<3: http://eroderekko.files.wordpress.com/2012/01/lilly-date.jpg
#2epaaccccPosted 7/10/2012 3:13:39 AM
I have played every single HoMM game since 2 to 6. In my opinion this game is the worst of them all. Might as well try the rest first before you try this.

Here's the thing, Heroes 6 has the worst cheating and poor AI. Both Heroes 4 and 5 have AI mod which improves their respective AI, while Heroes 6 have none. So you are stuck with crappy vanilla AI if you want to play 6. In case you're wondering, the campaign in 6 feels like king's bounty and not heroes 3. Only buy this if you're into multiplayer.
#3EmogePosted 7/10/2012 6:44:26 AM
I have to disagree with the previous comment. I think 6 is the best of the HOMM series. However, before I give my opinion, why not try the game yourself? The demo allows you to play the 2 "tutorial" levels and those levels are pretty much just prologue rather than tutorial so you get a fair idea on the gameplay and can easily decide if you like it.

My opinion is yes, the AI is a little bad, but it's better than the one in 3. The problem with 6 is that normal difficulty should have been labeled as hard difficulty so it turns a lot of people off. I'd suggest playing at an easier difficulty if you haven't played a HOMM in a while.

Before I leave the issue of the AI behind I need to mention that the AI does "cheat" in this game. The AI does not actively recruit from towns. Instead it has a pool of units and on certain weeks and times it will use a certain amount of those units for its heroes and towns. As a programmer I must say with such randomly generated maps it would've been almost impossible to generate an AI that worked properly for this game so the lack of AI is fine.

I love the graphics, I love how they changed the town screen. Instead of going into a town screen and building there your town screen is now the map! When you build buildings they appear on the world map! Very awesome!

Further all those stupid outposts and enemy towns you captured before that produced units you couldn't use on your main hero? Now you can! You can convert any town/outpost you capture and it'll produce your towns units instead!

Remember in 3 where every week you were forced to send a string of heros to every single mine, town, castle, and everything you own so you had a lgeion of heroes that were pretty much useless having only a single tier 1 unit to ferry troops for you or whatever? Not anymore!!! They simplified it so you can recruit all your units from any town!!! No more conga line of heroes! Love this change!

There's plenty more changes but in general I loved this game it's easily my favorite and the best in the series. If you don't have stable internet though, play in offline mode 100%.

If you do you get even more cool things ^_^ There's these little balls of light that people can leave messages to other players giving them tips. There's minor bonuses that assist in gameplay (minor but helpful snce you're forced to deal with the DRM) and you are granted an additional artifact slot.

In the end though, get the free demo and try the game out. See what you think and decide for yourself.
#4Allanon23Posted 7/12/2012 10:58:03 AM
Not anymore!!! They simplified it so you can recruit all your units from any town!!! No more conga line of heroes! Love this change!

Uhhh, they made this change in one of the expansions for 5. Don't give 6 credit for that sir.
---
You mess with Kurt and you go into the grinder
D3 Tag: Juraviel#1338
#5EmogePosted 7/12/2012 4:09:42 PM
Allanon23 posted...
Not anymore!!! They simplified it so you can recruit all your units from any town!!! No more conga line of heroes! Love this change!

Uhhh, they made this change in one of the expansions for 5. Don't give 6 credit for that sir.

The OP was talking about having played 3. I was comparing 6 to 3, not 6 to everything prior.

Also of note, for those who whined about the town screens and don't like how they are on the world map, Ubisoft is in the process of making town screens an opinion. The next patch will include them.
#6Raiden_74Posted 7/13/2012 11:05:45 AM
And the "next" patch was in fact yesterday... lol.
Patch 1.5.1 is already available (1.5 had a saved games compatibility bug) and town screens and many other balance changes are already out!
---
PSN ID: Raiden74