New Race: Imperial Guard

#31KP_MakerPosted 1/10/2011 7:22:00 PM

@ FloatingThought,

Honestly, it's gamers like you that make games like CoD Black Ops more of a success than CoD MW; you praise mediocrity.

DoW 2 is a success in some respects, but not nearly as close as SC 2 for a reason. (not to get into a debate over the 2 here, I for one put CoH as my all time fav.)

C&C 4 did the same thing DoW 2 did, and the backlash came for a reason. Relic is just known more for a tactical type RTS, and less old school formula, thus the greater the reception.

The WH 40,000 universe doesn't lend itself to base building? WHAT IN THE WORLD ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT? You are flat out "ignorant" sir; I assume you have not played DoW 1?

Some people like base building, and some don't, to each their own, but your statement clearly shows a RTS ignorance in terms of "pacing."

Relic had to make up for the pacing with no base building, but I am a 100% positive they realized that it just did not work as well as DoW 1 or CoH; thus the tid bits of info about DoW 3 possibly being like CoH.

It is not an opinion to state that DoW 2 is trimmed down with less features per Relic's RTS formula for a MP game. It is smaller scale with less strategy elements than their previous two RTS attempts.

It's the same formula, yet trimmed down because they built, for the first time, a RTS game made around the SP aspect first, and not the MP, as in their previous attempts.

Also a hint to the developers, if MP is harder to crack via piracy, and brings more longevity to a RTS game than the SP, than maybe for DoW 3 you build the game around the MP portion 1st, and let the easily fed simpletons like FT go down the stream with all the other fish who refuse to put up a fight or desire more vs less. ;)

Fight the good fight Relic, and please swim upstream, leaving the nay sayers who claim CoH was too hard & too complicated behind; you will have even more success ;)

#32Atreides825Posted 1/10/2011 7:48:11 PM
Wow, just wow, the ignorance in the previous post is mind numbing.

You sir, know absolutely nothing about the Warhammer 40K universe if you assume that Space Marines build bases to attack from. What's even worse is that you also assume that the original DoW's game play is an accurate portrayal of how wars are fought in the Warhammer 40K universe.
---
"We're the Imperial fething Guard and it's our lot in life to be fethed."
- Major Rawne, Tanith First-and-Only
#33ThingsFallApartPosted 1/10/2011 7:53:37 PM
First, you're pretty arrogant to proclaim your opinion that the SC2 way of doing things is better. If you spent any time on the official DoW2 forums you'd know that most people prefer it this way.

The WH 40,000 universe doesn't lend itself to base building? WHAT IN THE WORLD ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT? You are flat out "ignorant" sir; I assume you have not played DoW 1?

Try again. I played DoW1 to death, and was a fan of the WH40k universe/TT way before that. Though DoW1 was good, it never felt like a good representation of WH40k. Yes, you can build bases, big deal? There are no bases in TT, it was just there because that's what all RTS games had. What's the point of building a building just so you can click icons in it and research things? It's clutter. Relic recognised this and put the focus on the BATTLEFIELD which is what WH40k is all about in a gaming sense. Watching Space Marines stand in the open and shoot at each other was lame in DoW1. DoW2 wipes the floor with it. Don't give me this "pacing" crap. A fast paced game does not mean a game with no tactics.

It is not an opinion to state that DoW 2 is trimmed down with less features per Relic's RTS formula for a MP game. It is smaller scale with less strategy elements than their previous two RTS attempts.

How does it have "less features" what are you talking about? What other RTS has cover mechanics, retreat mechanics, various armour and damage types, customisable heroes etc? You're just a zombie that wants to keep playing the same RTS over and over with a different setting, well YOU are the reason for the stagnation of many genres. Hats off to Relic for doing something different and awesome.

but I am a 100% positive they realized that it just did not work as well as DoW 1 or CoH; thus the tid bits of info about DoW 3 possibly being like CoH.

Wrong. DoW2 has been critically acclaimed and is onto it's second expansion. I think Relic are pretty happy at how it turned out. THQ are supporting it with tournaments etc. DoW3 was hinted as being like CoH ONLINE i.e. a persistent RTS game they didn't make any reference to any other gameplay features, so that's just plain wrong.

It's the same formula, yet trimmed down because they built, for the first time, a RTS game made around the SP aspect first, and not the MP, as in their previous attempts.

Absolute nonsense again. Just because the SP is a huge departure from most other RTS games doesn't mean it was based around it. The MP is a completely separate game mode and they have barely anything in common. A LOT of work has gone into the MP experience and it is still alive and kicking today.
---
But I'm not a marine biologist.
#34-aumaan_anubis-Posted 1/11/2011 9:33:04 PM

FloatingThought is absolutely spot on.

KP_maker you are the ignorant one, sir... you call dow2 stripped down yet fail to mention the melee and 'jump' mechanics which completely change the way the game is played compared to CoH, adding significant levels of depth which CoH had none of (every unit in CoH is ranged).

To me it seems that you are part of the people that claim one can't play an rts without basebuilding and try to come up with some more nonsense to back it up. I don't know if you realise but the 'base-building' in CoH (your alltime favourite game) was already borderline redundant. Relic only naturally made the next step and took it out completely which worked out great for their games' playstyle. Just because most RTS games have base-building does NOT make it the only possible solution.

I for one was quite dissapointed with SC2 being a carbon copy of its 12 year old! predecessor. But then again if they had changed anything to a noticable degree the fanboys wouldve gone mad and south korea would've probably just exploded.

Sigh I remember a time when blizzard was actually awesome... Then wow came along.

#35SarcasMagosPosted 1/11/2011 10:13:24 PM
Good ole WoW. Never forget the day when Fluffy, Haxx0rz, and MeGAn00B guild succeeded in killing God Tier lore characters.
---
Quoth the Lucius: "Oh yea!"
#36Kable_LudboltPosted 1/14/2011 2:15:40 PM
Any word on new Last Stand stuff? I freaking love that game mode.
---
I am alpha and omega, the first and the last, the beginning and the end.
#37KP_MakerPosted 1/16/2011 6:39:42 AM

@ Atreides825,

ROFL, um even the devs said there is no base building in the 40K universe but they made DoW 1 didn't they? I know a lot of people that prefer that way as well, but not all, and to each their own; having one building though can have a more advanced tech tree though than DoW 2 has.

Grow up man, Relics 40K RTS games have never been according to fluff. Actually if you go on the forums and play mods like Codex Edition for DoW2 you'd realize that even Relic didn't make this game according to the 40K universe. They are actually really off in terms of fluff. So who is ignorant now?

#38KP_MakerPosted 1/16/2011 6:43:50 AM

@ FloatingThought,

Now now, I can already see the emotions flaring, and it is pathetic to read. Nothing against you personally, I mean game on dude.

SC 2 doing things better is not my opinion, in terms of sales they are doing better, it is a simple fact. Most people do not prefer the DoW 2 style sir, or else this game would sell more copies, right? I already said I prefer CoH over all, but SC 2 is pretty solid in terms of a e-sport RTS game.

Now your RTS knowledge is ignorant, and I'll explain it again, the ket word is "PACING." 40K/TT does not have base building, duh. This is not the TT game, it is a RTS game ;)

DoW 1 was not lame, it was progression. So SC 2 is lame right, since they do not have cover? I mean they just stand there and shoot at each other in the open, and oh SC 2 was gonna be based off of the 40K universe, go figure. I'm the one that is ignorant thought right? NOT. Anyways, "PACING" is a huge key in RTS gaming, and thought DoW 2 is fast, it's pacing is still sub par compared to DoW 1 or CoH. In SC 2 you can have quick games, that are even shorter than some DoW 2 games, or you can have long exciting games, it's pretty simple really.

DUDE, DoW 2 has less features than CoH. It is a simple fact man, so instead of getting your feelings hurt and basing your arguments on them, just ask the devs dude, they would even tell you.

I am the reason for stagnation, grow up dude. CoH perfected Relics RTS formula, and a stripped down wimpy version is actually stagnation. C&C 4 did it, and had a huge backlash, but this is gonna get old. You are clearly basing an opinion over simple core mechanics.

CoH was their previous attempt, and it wipes the floor with DoW 2 in terms of the MP strategy involved. DoW 2 borrows some elements of CoH, but was stripped with many features because the game was designed with SP in mind, again pretty simple.

Dude, nonsense? Just ask the devs you first class nincompoop. The devs are the ones who stated they built DoW 2 from the single player up, vs all their other RTS attempts with MP first in mind. Seriously, grow up a little and ask them.

If you like DoW 2 then have at it, love it and worship it, make no difference to me. I do however get annoyed when people praise this more than CoH, minus the setting or course, since the 40K universe pretty much rocks.

#39KP_MakerPosted 1/16/2011 6:50:14 AM

@ -aumaan,

ROFL, that is huge NEG sir, ignorance is clearly displayed here by your fanboy point of view. DoW 2 has nothing new over DoW 1 or CoH except some RPG elements.

DOW 1 had MELEE and JUMP. DUH lol Then they added some mechanics of CoH to DoW 2 like suppression and retreat, minus the morale, which seems to be missing, hmmm, it has more though right? DoW 2 is missing a lot compared to CoH & DoW 1, but this is known only by the informed vs the ignorant fanboys ;)

I said CoH as my fav like what once or twice. Grow up kid, that line is disgustingly childish.

Look Gents, in the end if DoW 2 floats your boat than have at it, I mean game on and have fun man. I am actually happy for you minus your RTS ignorance on development and strategy, which is pretty simple, but no offense or course.

#40KP_MakerPosted 1/16/2011 6:54:28 AM

Slight correction, morale was in DoW 1, incase you want to call me more names and state I am the ignorant one, lol