Tips for playing Eldar?

#1AntiReligionistPosted 3/26/2011 4:16:44 PM
I saw someone else make topic like this so now I made one too to actually know what I'm supposed to do. I've had ONE game that I won, it was team free for all. And one game where I wasn't horribly crushed. Although I've probably played like 5-7 matches online and sucked ass for the first three at least.

So yeah, I would appreciate some tips.
---
My favorite bands/artists: H.I.M., Sonata Arctica, Tarot, Nightwish(Tarja Turunen), Charon, The 69 Eyes.
All Finnish bands btw.
#2AntiReligionist(Topic Creator)Posted 3/26/2011 5:55:13 PM
B-b-b-bump!
---
My favorite bands/artists: H.I.M., Sonata Arctica, Tarot, Nightwish(Tarja Turunen), Charon, The 69 Eyes.
All Finnish bands btw.
#3ThyCorndogPosted 3/26/2011 8:16:47 PM
Dominate with guardians early on, and then just get units that would best counter whatever your opponent has.
Seriously, guardians go toe to toe with marines. You have to upgrade them with gear to keep them useful, but the grenades are worth it.
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNkQvxPsBlo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9hb1NM5wZ1Q
#4FelineCyborgPosted 3/26/2011 8:56:37 PM(edited)

You have to upgrade them with gear to keep them useful, but the grenades are worth it.

pretty much this...and use farseer and all her abilities are so damn useful, seer council tier 3 are amazing, (i love the time field + seer council wrecking, time field is just an amazing ability in itself, obtained through tier 3 armor for farseer) warlock is a wrecking beast too, all his offensive wargear is solid, fire sword is great range, that tier 2 sword wrecks up close. i don't play as warp spider a lot but i know tons of people who are decent with him that involve banshees. but you have to constantly micro with warp spider it gets kind of annoying imo, i don't like playing that way.
---
"I can't enjoy anything unless everybody is, one guy starving some place puts a crimp on my evening" - Woody Allen
#5wlkthebest2Posted 3/26/2011 10:36:26 PM
^ i wanna say ignore those guys they will get you killed.

I tend to lean toward the warlock since he can fight anything 1 v1 with some wargear.

1.merciless withblade + forcefield will beat any comander or unit in T1. abused this, also he will beat ranged hero with this wargear selection since his range attack chains knockback.

2 banshee. yeah they die quick but you will need them to shred ranged units. or just ambush back cappers.

3 get a shuri plat or ranger squad just to slow down the enemy. they pay of over time.

after that just react to what they get. I tend to get an autach the second I hit T2 I love her as anothet AV soft counter.
---
Wife-Please whisper dirty things in my ear
Husband-Kitchen, Dining room,Living room,Patio
#6ravenhost91Posted 3/26/2011 10:46:25 PM
usual build order is the following - go far seer. the starting guardian (keep him alive)

get a howling banshee unless its ig, in which you get 2 guardians because sentinels counter banshees too much

then there is flexibility, i'd recommend 2 shuri plats. stagger them and you should do well against most races

or you can go double ranger or 1 ranger 1 shuri, but thats risky.

go tier 2 and get out an autarch, upgrade her with as you see fit, but definitely upgrade her.
#7AntiReligionist(Topic Creator)Posted 3/27/2011 1:58:46 AM
Well this post got a little long but I hope you'll bear with me.

Thanks for info, I usually like to have Executioner for Autarch cause it's looks cool and it says effective against all targets. Well actually it's the only weapon I've ever used as her lol.

I actually like Warp Spider Exarch, I just love it when I shoot at Chaos Lord and just when hes about to reach me I Tele and keep shooting and he is just too amazing with that armor that lets you tele faster and longer ranges. Oh but I don't really known what weapon war gear I should use as him, would it be useful to have those claws and then use him at both range and melee?

Oh yeah and I love Ranger squads so I'll probably use those. But I should use them at T1? The thing I have a lot of difficulty is the tiers system, at what point am I supposed to change tiers and what units to have at what point.

Well anyway I think that little by little I'm starting to get hang of this game, at first it seemed impossible because I fought against people that actually knew what they were doing.

But I'd like some advice on what to use on later tiers and how to use them. When I get to tier 3 sometimes(well every time really) I don't know what units I'm supposed to use. I just try to get Avatar out cause hes good, right? Although I tried D-Platforms and they seem to be good for defending some place and seem to have VERY good range.
---
All Finnish bands btw.
#8AntiReligionist(Topic Creator)Posted 3/27/2011 2:47:10 AM
Ok now after playing one game which ended in VICTORY I think that the blades you can get for Warp Spider Exarch are awesome. And then I get the armor that lets me tele better and that first thing that improves my ranged shooting(though it says weapon damage so maybe it does the blades too?).

Anyway what do you think? I have a hard time seeing myself now use a commander that can't tele.

Shoot! Tele! Shoot more! And then rip him to shreds with blaaades!!(or whats left of him)
---
All Finnish bands btw.
#9AntiReligionist(Topic Creator)Posted 3/28/2011 4:20:59 AM
Now that I've played more, the Warp Spider just doesn't seem that useful when playing against un-noobs. Or maybe it's just that damn IG!!!! Seriously I need tips against IG. A few of those basic IG squads(I can't remember the damn name!!!) and LG comes and I just don't know what to do, I always get beaten and can't deal enough damage to them until at least tier 2.
---
All Finnish bands btw.
#10gejsivPosted 3/28/2011 4:51:56 AM(edited)
I prefer Farseer. I like her spell set, they're all pretty good, and she can sorta hold her own in combat too.

But the best thing is her warp gates, which are always cloaked. I can set one up at my base and then sprinkle them around the battlefield and be able to instantly move my guardians and weapon plats and other infantry to any side of the map, and unless my opponent combs the desert for it (or gets detection) they'll likely not find the gate.

I find double guardian, banshee, and weapon platform to be pretty good for my t1 needs.

t2 really depends on the enemy. I prefer to get a wraith lord with the shuriken platform cannon as it can wade into the thick of it with almost everything. If my opponent is going a heavy If my opponent is spamming lots of light infantry I'll get an autarch for disruption. If they get a lot of vehicles I'll get some warp spiders to disable them, but I don't really like warp spiders too much.

t3 also depends. But since you'd asked about this one, lets examine what each unit does.
D-cannon. Very long range knockback, heavy damage, and an artillery button. Perfect for seiging a fortified location.
Fire prism. Mobile, long range knockback, with an option for antivehicle. Pretty good against infantry, and can also punch a hole through armor, provided it has some support.
Avatar. Big beefy meat shield with some disruption abilities. Reduces ranged damage inflicted on nearby allies and prevents suppression. Immune to flamers and meltas. Stick him at the head of your army, but don't be surprised when your other units end up doing more damage than him.
Seer Council: Melee that does a lot of knockback.

Pretty much all your t3 units are about knocking the other guy to his feet allowing the rest of your army to punish them. The difference is in the details, whether you want that knockback at long range, or in melee, or through a tank, or through a demon, etc. I sometimes get seer council since they can use my webway gates, but more often than not by t3 those have been compromised so I'll get a tank or the avatar.

AntiReligionist posted...
Now that I've played more, the Warp Spider just doesn't seem that useful when playing against un-noobs. Or maybe it's just that damn IG!!!! Seriously I need tips against IG. A few of those basic IG squads(I can't remember the damn name!!!) and LG comes and I just don't know what to do, I always get beaten and can't deal enough damage to them until at least tier 2.

Imperial guardsmen. They really like to blob up into a massive force and charge at stuff. You've a couple of options for dealing with them. The first is to not. Use your superior mobility and fleet of foot to not have to engage them while they are blobbed. Cap points until he has to split up and then punish him for it.

The second would be to attack him with a vehicle supported by your army. Run a wraithlord in there, start smashing things, have some grenades go off, banshees run in from the side and tie some squads up, etc. Bit heavy on the power, but if he wasn't expecting it and has no antivehicle weapons you're in the clear.

The third would be the autarch. Have her drop in announced by grenades and smack em up. Should they survive she can still assist in future skirmishes by jumping in and disrupting them, tying key squads up in melee and allowing your other doods to close in for the kill.

If you happen to be in tier 3 for whatever reason a fireprism or d cannon or avatar will wreck those guys.
---
-gejsiv- :/
It cost four hundred thousand dollars to read this signature for twelve seconds.