Any reason to get Dawn of War II or should I just get Retribution?

#1Game__RaiderPosted 5/10/2011 4:04:55 AM

So I have never played DOW before and I am looking for a great strategy game. I heard Retribution is the best one and seeing as its the newest im guessing it also has the most people playing online. Is it really that good? And if so should I just skip the other DOW and get this?

#2gogators4lifePosted 5/10/2011 8:12:25 AM
Just get Retribution.
---
Company of Heroes 2 official announcement coming in a couple of months!
#3ZukkusPosted 5/10/2011 6:41:32 PM
DOW II's single player campaigns are leagues better than Retribution. DOW II used awful GFWL, so that's a large downside. Retribution has better multiplayer.
---
"I just wasted a bullet. Don't waste your life." -Big Boss
#4theREALbbobbPosted 5/15/2011 1:27:19 AM
Dawn of War II and Chaos Rising have infinitely better single-player campaigns than Retribution.

Retribution is the choice for multiplayer though, since it has the most races. The Imperial Guard is pretty cool. It still can take forever to get into a game though, which either means that Steamworks isn't much better than GFWL, or that there just aren't that many people actually playing Retribution.
#5AntiReligionistPosted 5/20/2011 1:44:52 AM
theREALbbobb posted...
Dawn of War II and Chaos Rising have infinitely better single-player campaigns than Retribution.

Retribution is the choice for multiplayer though, since it has the most races. The Imperial Guard is pretty cool. It still can take forever to get into a game though, which either means that Steamworks isn't much better than GFWL, or that there just aren't that many people actually playing Retribution.

I'd say it's both.

Btw what exactly was wrong with GWFL? All the time I hear how steam is better and stuff but is it really better or do people think that only because they're steam fanboys?
---
My favorite bands/artists: H.I.M., Sonata Arctica, Tarot, Nightwish(Tarja Turunen), Charon, The 69 Eyes.
All Finnish bands btw.
#6RenmauzaPosted 5/20/2011 4:32:44 PM
The matchmaking has always taken a long time, that hasn't changed much from Steam to GFWL. But the matchmaking is much better now. You're far less likely to get teamed up with a pair of noobs. It still happens, but instead of 2/3rds of the time, it's more like 1/5th.
#7AntiReligionistPosted 5/21/2011 2:34:21 AM
Oh so the flaw of GWFL was that it matched players of completely different skill together.
Then I completely understand why steam is better, though I think this game still has too little players for match making to work as it was meant to(or too little MP players).
---
My favorite bands/artists: H.I.M., Sonata Arctica, Tarot, Nightwish(Tarja Turunen), Charon, The 69 Eyes.
All Finnish bands btw.