How to make money in this game

#1ngosterPosted 3/1/2012 7:44:32 AM
I only receive 1.05 a month, how am I suppose to make more to hire mercenaries that cost 300?

And my army only has 57 men, how do I gain more?
---
You should never want to be perfect, he who is perfect can never get any better.
#2Quillan666Posted 3/1/2012 11:14:43 AM
Find your capital province. Click on it. You'll probably notice 3 holdings: a castle, a city, and a church. If your capital is typical, you'll control the castle (a barony), while the city will be controlled by a mayor and the church by a bishop; those two are vassals. Click the castle; this will bring up a list of the things you can build in the castle as well as giving you details of what the holding currently provides and what each improvement will give.

Each holding generates a certain number of troops, but if they aren't controlled by you personally they aren't obligated to provide you with the full amount when you call up your levies.

Castles provide more troops than cities or churches, they also provide the best types of troops (more heavy infantry, for example). So, to increase the number of troops you can get you can do three things:

1) Set your Marshall to "train troops" in the capital province, which will increase the amount of troops it generates as long as he keeps doing it.
2) Build improvements at the castle. Many of them either give a small increase to the total levy or flat amounts to specific troop types.
3) Bring more counties into your direct control. This can mean the difference between getting 100 troops and 400+ troops from a county when you call them up.

As far as money goes, the same thing applies. Set the Steward to "collect taxes" in your capital, build "castle village" improvements at your capital castle holding, and bring more counties into your direct control.
#3DarkNecromancerPosted 3/1/2012 11:35:05 AM(edited)
also make sure your relation with your vassals are great, check your character page, see your vassals, those vassals that have negative relation will not pay you tax and will give you little soldiers to raise. In case of bishops, they must like you more than they like the pope or else they will send their tax to the pope instead.

and only 57 men? what character you play as exactly?
---
Snake? Snaaaaaake!
#4sd0llarPosted 3/1/2012 6:18:52 PM(edited)
Raise city taxes also. As long as your mayors like you a little bit the opinion hit won't lose you more gold than the tax increase gives. The opposite is true for raising levy rates. Unless your vassals really love you having lower levy rates will get you more troops from them than having high levy rates and low opinion.

If your vassals absolutely love you 65+ opinion you can start raising levy rates, but max levy rates will only give you more troops than the next highest levy rate if the vassals opinion is 100 and will stay at 100 even with the law change.

Opinion matters more for levy contribution. Tax rates matter more than opinion, unless their opinion is pretty far in the red.
---
Sleep remains the most effective method of avoiding employment.
#5ngoster(Topic Creator)Posted 3/2/2012 4:11:10 PM
DarkNecromancer posted...
also make sure your relation with your vassals are great, check your character page, see your vassals, those vassals that have negative relation will not pay you tax and will give you little soldiers to raise. In case of bishops, they must like you more than they like the pope or else they will send their tax to the pope instead.

and only 57 men? what character you play as exactly?

I started as King Antso IV of Navarra, I had 400 men, but my vassals only had around 50.
---
You should never want to be perfect, he who is perfect can never get any better.