Why is there no ranger class?

#1MaDHatPosted 3/22/2013 1:09:18 PM
They have two fighter classes, two types of elves but no ranger class or bows? Good lord...
#2auronp264Posted 3/23/2013 10:12:54 AM
They've yet to announce the fifth class or the variations on announced classes except for the Fighter (Guardian Fighter and Great Weapon Fighter)
---
In this moment, this is me at my most masochistic ~ Bill (The Snake Charmer)
#3MattheauPosted 3/24/2013 3:08:17 AM
The reason for the lack of bow classes in this game is 4e lacks bow classes. I haven't looked at all the supplements, but I think Ranger is still the only one where it is even vaguely an option. On top of that, Archer Ranger is a pretty lousy class, so it isn't that shocking they passed it over initially. When you only have a few classes, having one that underpowered is generally a bad idea.
#4SlaynPosted 3/24/2013 9:58:09 AM
It is an MMO, they are pretty much free to do whatever they want. If they want to make Rangers with bows, and make them good, I don't see an issue.
---
#1 LoL Poster NA: http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/954437-league-of-legends/63627116
#5CataclysmsPosted 3/25/2013 12:13:43 PM
Mattheau posted...
The reason for the lack of bow classes in this game is 4e lacks bow classes. I haven't looked at all the supplements, but I think Ranger is still the only one where it is even vaguely an option. On top of that, Archer Ranger is a pretty lousy class, so it isn't that shocking they passed it over initially. When you only have a few classes, having one that underpowered is generally a bad idea.

Lack of bow classes in 4e isn't going to have an effect on Neverwinter's archery ranger since so far all equipment is designed for 1 class only (with a few exception for things like rings at the higher levels). So only 1 class needs to use bows in Neverwinter under that system.

Also archer rangers being weak in 4e has little to do with archer rangers in Neverwinter because Neverwinter has little in common with 4e other than naming conventions and some cues on the direction as class should take.
---
Damn the Man! Save the Empire!
#6MattheauPosted 3/26/2013 1:49:55 AM
Cataclysms posted...
Also archer rangers being weak in 4e has little to do with archer rangers in Neverwinter because Neverwinter has little in common with 4e other than naming conventions and some cues on the direction as class should take.

It is when the basic concept of the class is the problem. In theory, Archery Ranger should be fantastic. Maybe not quite as good as Two-Blade Ranger, but one of the best classes in the game. In practice, a class incapable of doing anything except damage and dies if anything looks at it funny results in a pretty lousy class, especially when basically everything it does gives enemies free hits against them. So, for Archery Ranger to actually be functional, they either have to be so overpowered that they liquify everything instantly (which negates any point to having other classes) or the entire core concept of the class has to be changed because if any other ranged class is even doing vaguely similar damage as Archery Ranger, they are better, much better.
#7replicantPosted 3/31/2013 11:42:36 AM
They already said in the press beta a bit back that the Ranger was an expansion class.
---
Bear "replicant" Powell
"I am Shaolin-Style!"
#8AfroPrimePosted 4/26/2013 3:07:17 PM
Drow will be available 90 days after release, and I can only assume/hope Ranger class will be as well.
---
LP LP -> LK HP
#9JeffLamPosted 5/2/2013 12:28:12 PM
Mattheau posted...

You must not have played 4e much.

Archer Rangers are near the top of the damage charts, and you have tons of reaction and interrupt abilities with unparallelled range when you use a Greatbow. For the amount of effort needed to optimize, it's got the best returns. Just stick in 20 Dex (18 + Elf) and you end up with max to-hit as well as AC and Ref def, then Wisdom for secondary effects and Will def.

Unless you seriously min/max with other stuff (like a TWF melee charge Ranger), archer rangers hit hardest with the least amount of effort.
#10Element_PearlPosted 5/2/2013 8:39:02 PM
I made a Devoted Cleric for now, but I honestly was hoping for a Battle Cleric, whatever those are called in 4e. You know the type, mace in one hand, greatshield in the other, plate armor 4 inches thick and a vengeful god at their back. Man, melee Clerics are the best.

I want a melee Cleric...
---
Official Holy Dragon Nall of the First Generation.