do I have to spend money to enjoy this game?

#1SontifxPosted 5/29/2013 12:14:13 PM
Seeing how its ftp usually there is some catch. Is this game only enjoyable for the rich?
#2RunothPosted 5/29/2013 12:45:35 PM
Well, right now PvP is reportedly broken because people buy really fast mounts and very powerful enchants to dominate, so it's extremely unfair. But I'm expecting these issues will be addressed.

The game is entirely doable without paying a cent, but if you want to be the absolute best, it's easiest to fork out some cash and get a few things. But if you're a purist, you will balk at the outrageous grind required to get enchants and mounts that other people just buy.
#3steveoSEKPosted 5/29/2013 12:59:06 PM
it's not even a matter of buying those enchants. those enchants are so costly that you need quite literally hundreds of dolalrs to get a rank 10 enchant for each gear piece at 60. i'ts insane.
---
http://i.imgur.com/FKvo0sE.jpg http://gurn.files.wordpress.com/2009/02/eek-a-mouse.jpg http://i.imgur.com/mmsHVBv.jpg
#4raichudlPosted 5/29/2013 2:37:51 PM
Remeber it is free to play not free to succeeded.
---
Shut up and bag yourselves!!! -Cody Rhodes
#5MrMonkhousePosted 5/29/2013 4:02:12 PM
For single player, no its fun along with doing skirmishes and dungeon runs with randoms.

But for PvP yes. You must pay to win PvP if your into that. Mounts, enchantments, mastet equips.
---
who will buy this?
#6nogravyPosted 5/29/2013 5:09:14 PM
Eh, you don't need to spend money to have fun in PVP. Sure, you go up against people with really good gear, but they're on your team too. And there are other people still in greens and blues that you can help beat up.

As a rogue in T1 gear, not spending money hasn't caused me nearly as much grief in PvP as the 4v5's that result when someone doesn't connect or goes AFK.
#7Guts42OPosted 5/29/2013 8:11:50 PM
Runoth posted...
Well, right now PvP is reportedly broken because people buy really fast mounts and very powerful enchants to dominate, so it's extremely unfair. But I'm expecting these issues will be addressed.

The game is entirely doable without paying a cent, but if you want to be the absolute best, it's easiest to fork out some cash and get a few things. But if you're a purist, you will balk at the outrageous grind required to get enchants and mounts that other people just buy.

I wish I had even a tenth of that kind of optimism. I really hope you're right.
---
The weak are meat, and the strong do eat.
#8RunothPosted 5/29/2013 10:12:42 PM
Not even a tenth, huh? So why are you still here? Unless you have a fondness for playing games on which you've given up all hope...?
#9edarkcloudPosted 5/30/2013 2:34:15 AM
I enjoyed the game getting to 60 without paying a cent and still am, thing is enjoyment is different for people so it might not be the same for you. I even enjoy pvp yet people here say that you wouldn't, I dominate in them being in the top 3 best most of the time with a crappy horse and regular pvp items.
#10wickdawg01Posted 5/30/2013 2:24:07 PM
the problem for me was those infernal nightmare lockboxes. A genius money making idea if i do say so myself.

First of all you have a random shot at getting this sweet flaming horse mount that runs at 110% speed. THEN everytime ANYONE on that server pulls one they announce it server wide that they got the beast.

After that they drop randomly off mobs throughout the game so your bound to get a bunch. If that wasnt enough then you can buy them for a mere pittance of 200 gems each. Considering most people has thousands of gems you can bet you will have one.

So here we are sitting on, oh i dont know, 80 nightmare lockboxes which may or may not have that sweet mount. Ok whatever i can resist it. Well then they go and color the wording for the box in your inventory Purple. Making it seem like this uber leet mystical rare item. egads.

Then when you finally cannot take it anymore and want to open them, thats when you realize you have to pay real money for the enchanted keys to unlock the beasts.

Its like the mystery box. Do you just drop $40 for a 110% speed mount OR do you drop a little money at a time for a chance to win the mount? Unfortunatly i dropped the small money at a time and ended up spending $30 and never getting the mount. Oh well.

Anyways I have to hand it to them. This was a genius idea to make money.
---
Karma will come to your house and wreck up the place.
------TimEnchanter