What's with the D3 obsession in PoE?

#1KarmicDragon1Posted 2/2/2013 4:06:12 AM
Every time I look at chat, someone is complaining about Diablo 3, comparing the game to Diablo 3 (even though it's nothing like it), complaining about Blizzard and/or Jay Wilson, or whining about how easy D3 is.

That actually worries me. I had a similar experience in SWTOR. People did nothing but complain about how "casual" WoW was, how bad WoW was, how WoW was the worst game ever, and then 10 months later, SWTOR went free to play, while WoW is as strong as ever.

It feels like too much emphasis is being put on how much other games suck compared to PoE, and not enough on "Hey, PoE is a great game, let's enjoy it"-type of behaviour. What gives? What is with this recent trend, you think? What's causing it? Is it just the fact that people feel the need to reassure themselves that they are making the right choice by playing PoE?

It all seems so weird to me. When I play PoE, I don't think about any other game. I look at my build and I try to not die. That's literally all that goes through my head as I play. It's the same when I play League of Legends. "How do I win this match? Gotta watch out for that damn Twisted Faith ult past level 6. Gotta try to gank bot lane if needed". I don't think "DAMN, THIS GAME IS BETTER THAN DOTA. DOTA SUCKS. THIS GAME ROCKS AND IS BEST OK". Maybe I just don't feel the need to validate my choices in games to anyone, like many people seem to feel the need to do.
---
My favourite D3 board posters: BonnabinTheDire, PenguinKoala ,TheJCBand, ChronoAce, GuyIncognito_, jake-sf, DAntiprodukt
#2SteamsterPosted 2/2/2013 4:07:31 AM
It's a troll thing, you wouldn't understand bro.
#3KarmicDragon1(Topic Creator)Posted 2/2/2013 4:11:05 AM
Steamster posted...
It's a troll thing, you wouldn't understand bro.

I guess not. It's just scary that so few people seem to play games because they enjoy them, and only play them to prove that they think they're better than whatever other game. It seems like such a huge waste of time.
---
My favourite D3 board posters: BonnabinTheDire, PenguinKoala ,TheJCBand, ChronoAce, GuyIncognito_, jake-sf, DAntiprodukt
#4BiurfePosted 2/2/2013 4:42:08 AM
We have reached a point where the majority of the playerbases for most games are actually made of children/teens.

Due to this domination of children and teens populating most game servers, even adults have begun to interact the same way, often by simply replying to a claim by some ''troll''.

It is pretty boring to always have similar games be compared in a way where ''there can only be one'' and always hear the same regurgitated echoes over and over again.

I think the best thing to do is to try and set an example, but most older gamers will usually remain silent in public, or block global chat outright.
#5PenguinKoalaPosted 2/2/2013 4:49:29 AM
KarmicDragon1 posted...
Every time I look at chat, someone is complaining about Diablo 3, comparing the game to Diablo 3 (even though it's nothing like it), complaining about Blizzard and/or Jay Wilson, or whining about how easy D3 is.

That actually worries me. I had a similar experience in SWTOR. People did nothing but complain about how "casual" WoW was, how bad WoW was, how WoW was the worst game ever, and then 10 months later, SWTOR went free to play, while WoW is as strong as ever.

It feels like too much emphasis is being put on how much other games suck compared to PoE, and not enough on "Hey, PoE is a great game, let's enjoy it"-type of behaviour. What gives? What is with this recent trend, you think? What's causing it? Is it just the fact that people feel the need to reassure themselves that they are making the right choice by playing PoE?

It all seems so weird to me. When I play PoE, I don't think about any other game. I look at my build and I try to not die. That's literally all that goes through my head as I play. It's the same when I play League of Legends. "How do I win this match? Gotta watch out for that damn Twisted Faith ult past level 6. Gotta try to gank bot lane if needed". I don't think "DAMN, THIS GAME IS BETTER THAN DOTA. DOTA SUCKS. THIS GAME ROCKS AND IS BEST OK". Maybe I just don't feel the need to validate my choices in games to anyone, like many people seem to feel the need to do.

It's not just PoE. Literally every ARPG you play will have people ******* on D3. Even on Console forums I've heard people talk about D3 and how bad it is.
---
"I played through normal on D2, which was enough to tell me it wasn't as fun as Titan Quest or PSO." ~ Sinfullyvannila
#6ZaruenKosaiPosted 2/2/2013 5:57:33 AM
KarmicDragon1 posted...

lying hypocrite... this is all you spend your life on ... you do nothing but troll..

look in a mirror bud... understand why it broke?
#7KarmicDragon1(Topic Creator)Posted 2/2/2013 6:04:11 AM
ZaruenKosai posted...
KarmicDragon1 posted...

lying hypocrite... this is all you spend your life on ... you do nothing but troll..

look in a mirror bud... understand why it broke?

Do you have anything other than ad hominems because they're getting a bit stale.
---
#8dkgamerPosted 2/2/2013 6:37:34 AM(edited)
Because it's a free to play game you are going to get a lot of younger, immature players trying it out. Like the kinds of people that make up the majority of most gamefaqs boards.
Unfortunately these people tend to not get much attention from people in real life, so they have a psychological need to garner attention from faceless people over the internet. Bashing on D3 is what the cool kids are doing, and they know they will get responses from it, so they do it. Yes it is a bit pathetic, but it's gonna happen. Unfortunately the vocal majority of mainstream gaming these days are very immature and incapable of regular conversation, it's not just this game by any means. Just hide global chat like the rest of us.
---
A Valley Without Wind - Dynamic RPG from Arcen Games!
http://www.arcengames.com/w/index.php/games/avww-features
#9mrplanktomPosted 2/2/2013 7:09:00 AM
Oh look, a butt hurt kormac dragon.

GLORIOUS!
---
Theres no group of people more delusional than blizz fanboys. The worst d3 fanboy Ive ever met cant even play d3
gamefaqs.com/boards/930659-diablo-iii/65141191
#10ZorlacPosted 2/2/2013 7:23:14 AM
You can't expect people to not discuss similar games.
---
And The Vampire was all that remained on the blood drowned creation.
Xbox live Zorlac0666 Xfire-Zorlac666. Steam-Zorlac666