Linked gem question

#1jbtilleyPosted 2/6/2013 10:13:12 AM
Hope this is straight forward:

I have a bow with two linked dexterity sockets. I have an ice shot and split shot gem. I guess I was sort of expecting to have a split ice shot skill, but that didn't happen.

How do linked gems work?
#2Jiga35Posted 2/6/2013 10:14:57 AM
Split shot is a skill as is ice shot.

You can't support a skill with another skill.

Support ice shot with fork or lesser multiple projectiles or both.
---
There is a no more intolerant lot on earth than those who ramble on the most about tolerance. In the name of tolerance they have become the most intolerant.
#3JonnieWestPosted 2/6/2013 10:15:46 AM
Those are both active gems. Linked gems are used to have Active modified by Support Gem abilities like: Faster Attack Speed, Life on Hit, Stun, etc.
---
That's five minutes of my life I'm never getting back...
#4jbtilley(Topic Creator)Posted 2/6/2013 10:22:59 AM
Oh, I see. I've never seen a support gem drop/quest reward so I didn't even know they existed.

clvl14
#5force_edgePosted 2/6/2013 10:36:16 AM
There's text beneath each support gem saying "This is a support gem", or something like that.

But otherwise, yes, you're right. If you have a G-G-G link, for example, and you use Lightning Arrow + LMP + Mana Leech, you're going to have a Lightning Arrow that splits further while leeching mana back on hit.
---
GameFAQs, where opinions get moderated as "Flaming" just because some moderator felt hurt by it.
#6Jiga35Posted 2/6/2013 10:36:36 AM
You will be rewarded you frst support gem as soon as you enter Merveil's cave from the Cove area.

Use the waypoint back to town and talk to the girl.
---
There is a no more intolerant lot on earth than those who ramble on the most about tolerance. In the name of tolerance they have become the most intolerant.