Diablo 3 VS Path of Exile

#1EternalFlame66Posted 2/26/2013 11:34:34 AM
What are some pros and cons for this game compared to Diablo 3/Diablo 2?

Be objective please. Don't bring your personal bias into this.
---
Such is your fate.
#2Walker_RealPosted 2/26/2013 11:48:24 AM
Diablo 2 > PoE > Diablo 3

For casual.

Diablo 2 > PoE > Diablo 3

For hardcore.
#3Mad_Cow46Posted 2/26/2013 11:52:42 AM
Typical PoEser style statement. It's like the blind leading the hipsters around here. Try not conforming. You might find life more enjoyable.
---
I've found better friends in piles of excrement. Aren't you thankful? Laughing at PoEsers since 1/23/2013.
Sometimes, ignorance truly can be bliss.
#4Walker_RealPosted 2/26/2013 12:49:48 PM
Okay.

I played D2 endlessly, had tons of characters mules and accounts, the two games I've played the most ever are dota&d2 (>1000 hours each)

I played D3 and still have hope for it as a decent game. Made it to level 60 on two chars, played through most of inferno on one.
I felt like leveling in D3 sometimes felt like a linear chore instead of fun, that's my number one gripe. I felt like I was saying "I'll get to the fun part of the game soon"

I played PoE about as much as D3, mostly in Hardcore. I found myself caring less about where this character was going end game, and had fun advancing and leveling with the progression. Thus, though less goal driven, I found PoE more enjoyable over all.
#5Walker_RealPosted 2/26/2013 12:57:39 PM
PoE=

+Higher customization with grid sphere leveling, can make interesting builds
+Excellent itemization, you have multiple ways of acquiring and orb crafting new gear, feels like you have a lot of utilities to advance your character
+Better items themselves, more unique and multiple stats
+Cooler maps, can explore side areas early for extra content
+Fun community, you can play by yourself but using the trade and talking to people is actually interesting

-Less skills to chose from ultimately, though more may be effective. This means less flashy or interesting skills to view on the way.
-Visually less appealing
-No interesting lore for your character

D3=

+Flashy skills, looks and feels fun while getting used to it.
+Looks better, characters look cooler, more appearance customization
+I prefer the monsters, I prefer the gameplay of PoE monsters but like the design of D3 monsters more

-Less fun game, kind of feels like a grind fest, feels like "Soon I'll get to the fun part of the game"
-Due to terriblly linear items & itemization, you'll continually wait for "the fun part of the game"
-Linear gameplay, few side areas or exploration, ultimately less to do
#6EternalFlame66(Topic Creator)Posted 2/26/2013 1:00:16 PM
Walker_Real posted...
PoE=

+Higher customization with grid sphere leveling, can make interesting builds
+Excellent itemization, you have multiple ways of acquiring and orb crafting new gear, feels like you have a lot of utilities to advance your character
+Better items themselves, more unique and multiple stats
+Cooler maps, can explore side areas early for extra content
+Fun community, you can play by yourself but using the trade and talking to people is actually interesting

-Less skills to chose from ultimately, though more may be effective. This means less flashy or interesting skills to view on the way.
-Visually less appealing
-No interesting lore for your character

D3=

+Flashy skills, looks and feels fun while getting used to it.
+Looks better, characters look cooler, more appearance customization
+I prefer the monsters, I prefer the gameplay of PoE monsters but like the design of D3 monsters more

-Less fun game, kind of feels like a grind fest, feels like "Soon I'll get to the fun part of the game"
-Due to terriblly linear items & itemization, you'll continually wait for "the fun part of the game"
-Linear gameplay, few side areas or exploration, ultimately less to do

Disregarding the content...

Good work. This is the type of stuff I'm looking for.
---
Such is your fate.
#7Ryyaann_Is_BandPosted 2/26/2013 2:34:50 PM(edited)
PoE=

Not really. I'll try to do this objectively without any bias.

Plenty of Active Skills in PoE.
http://www.pathofexile.com/skills/strength
http://www.pathofexile.com/skills/dexterity
http://www.pathofexile.com/skills/intelligence

- Especially when you combine them with Support Gems, they're basically like Diablo 3 Runes but you can mix and match them. Very high amount of combinations. Much more than the 4-5 Runes per Skill in Diablo 3.

- More Auras in Path of Exile compared to Mantras in Diablo 3. Any class can cast an Aura in PoE but only a Monk can cast a Mantra in Diablo 3. Not to mention the only Mantra Monks use in Diablo 3 is Mantra of Conviction - Overawe rune.(92% as calculated)

- More build diversity present in PoE. Always new skills being used when I play in public games with different Support Gems. I don't remember the last time I saw any of these being used in a public game in Diablo 3:
.........- Barbarian
................- Ground Stomp (and all rune variants)
................- Frenzy (and all rune variants)
................- Weapon Throw (and all rune variants)
................- Seismic Slam (and all rune variants)
................- Threatening Shout (and all rune variants)
................- Earthquake (and all rune variants)
................- Ancient Spear (and all rune variants)
................- Furious Charge (and all rune variants)
................- Revenge (and all rune variants)
................- Call of The Ancients (and all rune variants)

.........- Demon Hunter
................- Entangeling Shot (and all rune variants)
................- Rapid Fire (and all rune variants)
................- Evasive Fire (and all rune variants)
................- Grenades (and all rune variants)
................- Fan of Knives (and all rune variants)
................- Marked For Death (and all rune variants)
................- Multishot (and all rune variants)
................- Rain of Vengeance (and all rune variants)

.........- Wizard
................- Magic Missile (and all rune variants)
................- Ray of Frost (and all rune variants)
................- Arcane Orb (and all rune variants)
................- Wave of Force (and all rune variants)
................- Arcane Torrent (and all rune variants)
................- Electrocute (and all rune variants)
................- Disintegrate (and all rune variants)
................- Mirror Image (and all rune variants)

.........- Witch Doctor
................- Grasp of The Dead (and all rune variants)
................- Firebats (and all rune variants)
................- Horrify (and all rune variants)
................- Plague of Toads (and all rune variants)
................- Haunt (and all rune variants)
................- Sacrifice (and all rune variants)
................- Locust Swarm (and all rune variants)
................- Mass Confusion (and all rune variants)
................- Big Bad Voodoo (and all rune variants)
................- Wall of Zombies (and all rune variants)
................- Fetish Army (and all rune variants)

etc
---
Ryyaann is banned.
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/VanillaRice-1752/hero/337193
#8LeapinglizyPosted 2/26/2013 4:53:33 PM
I'll try to be constructive and compare both games based on my own experience...

Graphics :

PoE this is a free game programmed by 5 dudes : there's obviously less budget spend in the graphical areas. So lesser graphic quality. YET, they aimed at a "realistic" graphical style. Not cartoony at all. It's dark, crude and ulgly. (the good type of ugly... the type of ugly you find in a land corrupted by dark forces) [personnal-opinion-alert : I like it !]

D3 has clearly better graphic. It's just.. beautifull. Not much else to say there, really.

D2 is old. It once was good but...

Sound :

D3 has a good musical score... as in, not original, but good quality. Similar to D2, but higher quality music.

But I actually LOVED the music and ambiant sounds from PoE. It ranges from dark, gloomy rock music in boss fights to simple, desperate cries for help from prisoners and poor tortured souls. I seriously had some parts where I stoped in a corner to listen...

Difficulty :

D3 was PERFECT for Mr Everybody. But any hardcore gamer will realise something : it's easy.You can do the 3 first levels of difficulties without diing even once, then hit a brick wall at Inferno. This could be a GOOD thing, if the AH didn't mess it all up [I'll come back to this later].

In D3, (untill Inferno), you can't miss a built. You can ALWAYS (untill inferno) switch your skills and gear (untill Inferno). Your gear quality is next to useless(untill inferno).

PoE is HARD. It's extremly good for "hardcore" gamers, but will annoy casuals in just a few hours :

- Mobs hit HARD You need to sacrifice offensive and get defense. No matter which class you play
- 1335 passive skill exist, you need to make a built using a THEORICAL MAXIMUM of 121. (you'll probably never get more then 80-ish)
- Can barelly respec. You can, but not a lot.... and it's costly. Need to plan ahead.
- Gear is crucial.
- Everything is itemized. Even active skills and end-game dungeons... !
- No gold. Instead, you trade orbs which are used to modify your stuff ( exemple : add slots to armor, raise quality, re-randomize stats...)
- Deep gameplay. Starts hollow, but progressivly get deeper and deeper.

Pacing :

D3 is fun and fast. right from the start.

PoE starts slow. It gets faster eventually. But never Super-Fast.

Auction House VS itemisation :

D3's Auction House imo is what destroyed it... since people were able to easilly trade with each others, Blizzard had to input a LOT of useless items. Almost no 2 items are identical and you could pick-up 200 yellows(rares) and none would be good.

PoE is old school in that matter. No easy ways to trade except the "Trade" chat channel. But, loot is adjust in function of this : If you're a ranger and find a yellow bow in your level range, you WANT to idendify it : it's brobably good for you.

Price of Victory :

PoE : The attitude of the developpers hass to be mentionned. "By hardcore gamers, for hardcore gamers". It's free and the "micro-transaction" is super-honest. NOTHING will make you any more powerfull. NOTHING will give you the higher hand on your friends even if you give them 1000$ ! It's casically a "visual, gratefull 'thanks-you' for your donation". In fact, if you give them 1000$, they'll work WITH YOU to develop an "unique" item in game. For exemple, you could help them create a unique bow. That bow will be put in the loot randomizer... but you will NOT EVEN GET A FREE COPY OF THE ITEM !!! Fair and square : no way to "buy" your victory.

D3 : well... you know... you can use the Auction House to see your stuff for real money... and Blizzard will keep a % of the money. 'nough said.
#9VooDismPosted 2/27/2013 8:55:22 AM
Diablo 3 is a on rail kiddie arcade game disguised as an ARPG revolving around a money making auction house.

What more is there to say?
#10ARPG_MasterPosted 2/27/2013 9:33:09 AM
VooDism posted...
Diablo 3 is a on rail kiddie arcade game disguised as an ARPG revolving around a money making auction house.

What more is there to say?

This is a brilliant evaluation! I particularly liked all of the examples that you used to back up your claims.