Ancestral bond and totems

#1PairedsnakePosted 3/27/2013 9:49:36 AM
What exactly does ancestral bond do and how tough would it be to spec a marauder for totems?
#2RunothPosted 3/27/2013 10:04:20 AM
Normally you can only have one totem out at a time. Ancestral Bond makes it so you can have two, but you can no longer directly deal damage with your character. You can still use Traps and Mines aside from Totems to deal damage though.
#3Pairedsnake(Topic Creator)Posted 3/27/2013 10:10:28 AM
Hm thats kind of a heavy price. Thanks for the answer
#4Ryyaann_Is_BandPosted 3/27/2013 10:42:59 AM
I didn't know you can still use Traps and Mines. Thanks for the extra info.

But yeah, Keystones generally have one positive ability and one negative ability to balance it out.

I'm currently leveling a Summoner on the side and I was planning to go Dual Totems, Dual Curses, and maybe a few Auras but I'm now reconsidering adding in Mines in place of one of them.
---
Ryyaann is banned.
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/VanillaRice-1752/hero/337193
#5RunothPosted 3/27/2013 11:01:48 AM
Yeah, I've been leveling a Dual Flame Totem Templar, and he absolutely murders things, as long as the totems don't get focused down by ranged monsters, and the mobs don't have tons of elemental resistance (damn skeletons in Church Dungeon, omg). I use Frost Wall to protect the totems from projectiles, and Elemental Weakness and Temporal Chains for dual curse. It works pretty well, and most of the time mobs melt before I even get a chance to curse them.

Dual totems imo are great for open expanses and tightly packed clusters of mobs. Zombies for instance are practically marching into a barbecue. But tight areas like dungeons and such make using totems a bit of a pain. If mobs run away you have to recast the totem a lot. In parties your totems rarely get focused so it's easy to blanket the room in fire, but soloing requires a bit of finesse to make them work. Overall it's been fun though. In A2 Cruel now and having no real problems. Try a dual totem build, you might like it.
#6Cool_new_namePosted 3/27/2013 1:11:22 PM
I had no idea you could still use traps and mines either. So minions work as well?
#7RunothPosted 3/27/2013 1:40:18 PM
Yep.
#8djnastynatePosted 3/27/2013 2:56:03 PM
What about melee abilities such as infernal blow and curses? Thought you just couldn't cast "spells" when you took it.
#9RunothPosted 3/27/2013 3:26:29 PM
You can still use all melee abilities and spells with AB, they just won't do any damage. The only way you can deal damage while specced AB is with your minions, totems, traps or mines.
#10UmfptPosted 3/28/2013 12:24:23 AM
djnastynate posted...
What about melee abilities such as infernal blow and curses? Thought you just couldn't cast "spells" when you took it.

You can cast spells you just can't do any direct damage.